Tensing Pen - Any info would be appreciated

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tensing Pen - Any info would be appreciated

Considering Tensing Pen for 5 night. Has anyone stayed there recently. How were the rooms, property, staff, food? What restaurants are nearby for meals? Drinks?
What other resorts/hotels are nearby? Any other suggestions for CLEAN , SAFE place to stay on the beach for a short visit. Have stayed previosly at Riu Ochos. Want to give another part of Jamaica a try. Thank-you.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 01:36 AM

have a look at this beachfront resorts map http://www.thebeachfrontclub.com/bea...bbean/jamaica/ it might help you find some nice resorts/hotels to stay in Jamaica
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Rockhouse Hotel

and

Tensing Pen

are nice simple hotels limited service perched on the rocks

with nice views.

Good choice if you are up for that but check guest reviews

carefully not beachy.

www.bookit.com and www.luxurylink.com packages more beachy

in that area at similar prices.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 05:01 PM

we stayed at tp last april,it was very very nice. also stayed at idle awhile on the beach, also very very nice. if you just want to spend a day on the beach you can catch a red plate taxi to any number of places. just buy some drinks and lunch there.sun beach comes to mind to hang out during the day and a very good moonlight dinner on the beach.
as for places near tp, ivans @ catcha falling star,ltu pub just past ricks and don't forget the seastar buffet on saturday night@ $15 pp with free entertainment and free pick up & drop off.(if you want to see a live webcast of the seastar look at negril.com on sat night)
PLEASE be really careful when walking on the west end, face oncoming traffic in single file and always pay attention.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was there July last year for ten days with a group of friends. I was next door at Le Mirage solo, six couples at Tensing Pen. So I spent quite a bit of time there. It's a lovely place. Rooms, property, staff, food, all top notch.

Nearby restaurants: Ivan's at Catcha is the nicest. It's a wonderful garden setting, friendly service, interesting food (I highly recommend the Snappy Snapper). Prices about US standard.

The most delicious food I had was from the roadside stand just outside the gate of TP called Ras Rody's. If your adventurous give it a try. It's "ital" rastafarian vegetarian food. Much of it grown by him on his farm in the mountains. Get the 5 items sampler for 500jmd (~5usd)

Again all depends how adventurous you are in trying the local places. Right across the street is also Shark's (Juliet is an amazing cook!) but all very rustic. Alice's is right there too. LTU Pub up the road a ways. Further that direction Out of Town bakery has really good 'patties'.

In the other direction (back towards town/beach) about a 10 min walk is Sips & Bites definitely worth a stop. I recommend the Steamed Fish plate (so good I had it twice). I hear they do a good breakfast too. No alcohol (you can bring your own Red Stripe) and closed Friday afternoon thru Saturday (7th day adventists).

The restaurant at Tensing Pen is very nice too. Our group ate there several times. Because it was easy, and nice. Not amazing food, but the overall deal (very beautiful open air dining room for starters) was high quality.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.charela.com/
is my suggestion for a clean safe place on the beach. It is the sister hotel to Le Mirage where I stayed on the cliffs, and I spent a day at the beach there. I thought it was a very sweet hotel.