Search

Tell me if I'm crazy.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me if I'm crazy.

I consider myself a seasoned traveler. I am considering taking my 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old boys to Jamacia. We would be in a gated commuted, but would like to venture out. I am thinking of hiring a driver for 5 days to take us whever we need to go. Am I taking enough precautions? I've been to third world places before (Bali, Dominican Rep.) but without kids. My main concern is safety.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM

You'll be fine. I'm sure you'll get a good referral for a driver and he wil take care of you. The Jamaican people are so great with children - my daughter loved the way the ladies catered to her. What area will you be in?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

We are looking into renting a villa at www.silver-sands.com which is right in the middle of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I went with my children and we had no problems at all , I had a lot of concerns before the trip as well , and in our case my fears were unfounded . use caution as u would at home , etc. We loved it ! Faith
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Silver Sands is only 40 min.from MoBay and there are drivers available at the beach villa community which is gated and private. For more knowledgeable touring tho, we'd recommend CAROLYN BARRETT of www.barrettadventures.com who is can custom-tailor your exploring to your interests and who can safely take you off the beaten track to many, many places unknown to Jamaicans.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM

You really don't have to worry at all, unless you're venturing into certain neighborhoods in Kingston. I've been traveling to Jamaica for 25 years without incident, and find that many of the stories/rumors about lack of safety are completely unfounded.

The Jamaican people for the most part go out of their way to make all visitors feel welcome. You should have a great time.