TCI: Not what it's cracked up to be

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, maybe that’s not a fair title but I couldn’t resist the conch reference. However, my overall impression of TCI was not favorable due to the cost/value of the experience and bad weather for half the time.

We booked 5 nights at the West Bay Club in early March. I thought we could get by in a studio ($300 night plus $63 tax & service) vs. a Luxury 1 bedroom ($625/night plus$131 tax and service, but you get the 4th night free) Note: there are just a few standard one bedrooms for $495 but these weren’t available. However, after being shown to the tiny, dark first floor studio with no view or patio that smelled of ammonia (this is $300 a night?!!!), I knew I couldn’t survive 5 nights there since there was a rainy forecast for the next three days and no where else to hang out in the resort other than the beach or pool. So, we upgraded to the Luxury one bedroom for the four nights (to take advantage of the “free” night, and would move to a studio for the 5th night to reduce average night costs.

As an aside, it’s hard to believe WBC can’t find a better front desk clerk. She had the most unpleasant demeanor, never smiled, reacted with a blank look and no comment when spoken to, took forever to do anything, didn’t seem to know what she was doing, etc. Other reviews had spoken of a welcome rum drink. We didn’t receive anything, but
were invited to the Manager’s cocktail party that evening. Meanwhile, Renee, the concierge was very helpful and pleasant. We did get our free rum punch at the cocktail reception, but it didn’t seem the two managers were very interested in greeting or talking to guests.

The only luxury one bedroom we could get was on the ground floor, which meant we didn’t get the killer views of the water. We did look across the lawn and saw some water. However, this was famine to feast....the unit was so large that it was overkill. When researching where to stay, it seemed like this was the trend in TCI....you had to get a huge condo type unit with a full kitchen, which we didn’t intend to use, or your choice was a little old room in an older hotel. We did see a lot of families with little children here and elsewhere, so I guess they need the room. The decor was modern beachy, king four poster bed, double shallow square sinks, large tub and shower, granite everywhere, GE profile appliances, large flat screen TVs, surround sound, etc.

When the sun is out, the water is that incredible turquoise color, which changes to bands of dark blue over grassy or reef areas. At the horizon, we saw ever changing sprays of white as the water gushed over the outlying reefs sending huge waves into the air. My husband enjoyed trying out the Paddle boards...it was nice and calm and he was able to stand up.

The pool area was small but stylish and looked out through an archway to a grassy area that led to a wooden bridge to the beach. The boutique hotel Gansevort, which seemed to appeal to a younger, hip audience, was to the left and Turks & Caicos Club to the right. The beach was wider and quieter here,which was a plus. Complimentary paddle boards, hobie cats and kayaks were available and the beach staff was excellent.

An adequate if not exciting continental breakfast was provided each morning with one hot dish special each day: eggs, pancakes or french toast, which were good. The muffins, croissants and other pastries were bland.

That night, we ate at Bay Bistro at the Sibonne hotel since I wanted to eat beachside before the rains came. Lovely atmosphere, tried their award winning conch crepe, and a crab cake, and I forget what else but thought the food was merely good. I won’t repeat the litany that all the meals were very expensive.

BTW, we rented a car through Grace Bay Car Rentals. We had tried to book a standard car for $39/day, which I understood was a Corolla, but were informed that they only had premium cars available for $49/day....however, the car we got was a Corolla, with dings and dents, so need to follow up on that. Very easy rental process...guy met us at the airport and showed us to the car and we were off...returned it to the airport and left keys with the parking attendant.

The next morning, I had booked the half day snorkel and conch trip with Caicos Dream Tours. We were picked up on our beach at 8:30 by a large power catamaran and then made about 4 more stops picking up about 25 people. The further we went east, the rougher it got....so much so that one guy got completely drenched by a wave as we picked him up, and we couldn’t even get the last couple near Ocean Club...they had to be taxied to the back side of the island where we picked them up. Now, it was after ten and getting cloudier, cooler and windier. Conch diving was the next order of business, which we passed on. Thought we could snorkel while they dove, but there wasn’t anything to see here, and the water was cool. After that, we went to Half Moon Bay where the crew demonstrated removing the conch from the shell and started preparing the conch salads while we were supposed to walk around this deserted beachy area for an hour....but it started raining so we sat on the boat waiting for the salad. All got small bowls and chips and beer, rum punch, soda or water. Finally, it was time to snorkel, but the weather wasn’t good, it was cool, and we decided to skip it. So, overall a bust of a snorkel trip. So glad I hadn’t booked the full day one. We did get a lovely conch shell though.

That night, we went up to Magnolia Restaurant overlooking the Turtle Cove Marina for a sunset cocktail (great Mojito) and views...of course, there were none because it was raining, so no al fresco dining that night. The dining room was charming though and my husband raved about their signature dish, the Seared Ahi Tuna.

The next morning started off well with welcome sunshine. Took a long walk up the beach to the Regent Palm, past a very crowded and yucky looking Beaches resort. It really is easier to walk barefoot in the soft and cool sand.
Then, headed off to the south side of the island to see Sapodilla Beach and Chalk Sound. We had just put down our beach towels, turned our faces to the sun, when it disappeared and huge clouds came rolling in again. So, packed up and headed back to our unlocked and windows down car (recommended by the car rental place so no one smashes your window) and went to lunch at Las Brisas, overlooking powdery aqua, Chalk Sound, which would have been more beautiful if the sun was out. Had a great Blueberry Mojito, Mussels in a white wine cream sauce, good, and conch fritters, OK. Afterwards, we drove along Chalk Sound Road, looking over the lovely homes to that incredible sound,

About 4pm it poured, monsoon style. Think they got their years’ worth of rain that day.
Some roads were half flooded when we drove for our “sunset” (hadn’t seen one yet) cocktail at the acclaimed Infinity Bar and Lounge at Grace Bay Club. We were the first ones there at 5:50 (sunset) and took the last dry seat that was closest to the water yet undercover. The sofas at Lounge looked lovely except for the puddles of water standing on them. I’m sure on a dry night this would be a stunning location. Loved their Infiniti Martini (Hypnotiq, Rum, and pineapple juice)

From here, I had booked Lemon Cafe because I knew it was indoors. Lovely, tent-like Moroccan atmosphere with decorative hanging lanterns and a couple of red chandeliers. The Lamb Moussaka and Chicken B’stilla were excellent as was their two chocolates pie (more like a flourless chocolate cake) with ice cream.

That reminds me, we visited Island Scoop earlier after reading it’s homemade with island flavors. It was horrible... icy with little flavor.

The next day finally was sunny and beautiful! Took a long walk in the opposite direction to Smith’s Reef. At lunchtime, walked back to Somewhere on the Beach at Coral Gardens and ate on their second floor deck with a magnificent view of the reef. Had one order of great fish tacos, guacamole and chips and a frozen margarita and a Turks Head...$60 with tip for lunch. That gives you an idea of the prices.

We tried snorkeling at the reef in front of Coral Gardens, but the current was so strong, I had to hold onto the ropes and try to pull myself around. I didn’t seen anything exciting or beautiful.

I wanted to get a massage and Spa Tropique had better prices but they operated out of a small room in back of the fitness center at WBC. I had read that the Regent Spa at Regent Palms had gotten great reviews from Travel & Leisure mag, so decided to go for the whole spa experience. The setting in an old stone mansion behind the resort was lovely, with a long reflecting pool and gurgling fountains where you rested before being led along a path to individual treatment rooms in the gardens. I settled on a Thai massage for something different and my masseuse was Thai. It was good, if a bit scary at times, hoping that she wouldn’t push my body too hard in a way it wasn’t used to moving. I have to admit that I did like the massages I actually got in Thailand better, and the price here was steep ($182 after the mandatory service charge)

This night, we were going to the highly recommended Coco Bistro, and I was thankful it wasn’t raining so we could enjoy the palm garden ambiance. But first, we went to have a sunset cocktail (let’s change that to twilight cocktail) at The Deck at Seven Stars so we could see NaDa perform Seven Stars is a newer huger resort and the Deck was packed. Wouldn’t you know, large clouds came rolling in and it rained for a bit. By the time we got to Coco Bistro, everything was fine and were seated in it’s magical garden. Based on prior reviews, I ordered the Simply grilled Lobster with snow peas and jasmine rice and it was simply wonderful with three good size spiny lobster pieces. My husband was debating between the Black Angus steak and the Rack of Lamb, and our waitress steered him to the latter. But, there wasn’t that much meat once you locate and remove the fat, so we think we would’ve enjoyed the steak more. It did taste good though. For dessert, their coconut pie was exceptional. FYI, you must make reservations well in advance...several people we talked to couldn’t get them four days in advance. You need to email your concierge to call and make them as they don’t accept email reservations. We thought the prices were fair here.

Our last full day in TCI dawned sunny and warm again, so took the hobie cat out for a sail. Then it was time to downgrade and move back to a studio for the last night. I had asked for one on a higher floor, so at least got the second floor, which provided a little more light. But, the furnishings in this unit was almost laughably bad. Oh well, it’s just for a night. I still can’t believe the cost for it.

For lunch, we drove to the Blue HIlls and ate on the beach at Da Conch Shack. What a great setting, inexpensive and delicious conch (had cracked conch and fritters),tasty rum punch and chocolate rum cake...all serenaded with a guy guitar player. Delightful.

Last night, it clouded up again and looked like rain, but didn’t. Despite my doubts, we went to Hemingway’s at the Sands, and wish we hadn’t. I knew when they handed my a drink menu with pictures of the premixed ocean’s isle cocktails, this wouldn’t be good...so had a glass of wine instead. The place was reasonable, but seemed a little tacky. My grouper vera cruz was actually quite good, but the Thai chicken stir fry wasn’t and even the homemade brownie with ice cream wasn’t good. But, we did sit outside under the stars. I really was more in the mood for mexican so we should’ve walked to Somewhere again.

Anyway, I’ve been to many islands in the Caribbean and I really wouldn’t recommend TCI, although it is a quirky little island. I only think they get away with those rates because they attract so many from New York and Boston where expensive prices are de rigeur. Yes, the water color was gorgeous but it was too cool to want to swim in and the currents were strong. Yes, the suites are huge, but I don’t need or want that much space. The island itself is scruffy and not particularly scenic....didn’t see much local color...reminded me of a quieter Miami Beach without high rises or shopping.

Will post the link to photos soon.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if the weather had been better you would recommend TCI...most travel there knowing it is expensive! Sorry you did not love it like so many of us do.
You are right about Regent Palms-beautiful!! We love it & Somerset next door.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM
KVR

Though we enjoyed out trip to Turk & Cacios back in 2006, I do have to agree with some of your assessments. We thought the prices were quite high also for food, drinks and the price of tours. We love AI resorts and had been to many before this trip and was disappointed that T & C didn't have the type of resort we were looking for. We stayed at the Sibonne and really liked it though. We don't really need luxary type accomendations. We got a great 2 room space on the second floor and apprecaited the quaintness and the quite. Totally different than our AI experiences and it changed our way of thinking some.

I agree if you choose a hotel that you are not happy with then it starts the vacation off on the wrong foot. No amount of research can avoid that. The iffy weather is also a factor between having a good vacation and just one that is so-so. Luckily, we went in a May and the weather was fabulous. We did several tours and actually saw several areas and loved the water and beaches. We didn't like that there is really not much to do there except water related activities. We would have preferred a better nightlife and shopping. It's a great destination for hitting the beach, relaxing and doing several water activities. But I agree, sometimes you just want more than that. T & C did not make our return list either. I hope your next vacation, wherever you chose, is better.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:28 AM

It's unfortunate that you encountered such lousy weather. There's really nothing you can do, especially since all the enjoyment is based on being able to enjoy the outdoors, the sun and the water. I stayed at Caneel Bay in St. John and it poured all day, every day while I was there. I don't remember St. John with any fondness and certainly would not go back to Caneel Bay, but I know that under better circumstances it would have been great.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Thank you for standing by your opinion. What you stated in your report is exactly why my family has never gone there. I love, love, love azure water, but if you can't swim in it, what is the point! I would go somewhere else in the future too. Thank you for your honesty.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Anguillagirl...what are you talking about? The water is beautiful and AZURE..they could not swim and enjoy it because of the RAIN! TCI is all about the water !! TCI has beautiful beaches just like Anguilla ..I think you are missing something with your comment! If the OP had been to Anguilla with the same weather they would have said the same thing!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM
KVR

Anguillagirl, of the many Islands we've been to T & C has the best beaches and the clearest water. You are definatly missing something by not going there. Yes, pick a better month as to not get caught in the rain. When we went in a May the weather was fabulous, the water crystal clear and the sand so white it looked like snow from the distance. Totally swimmable. I always recommend T & C to people who are looking for such.

I have to agree with jecrow, when we went to St. John we were totally rained on. The rain slapping us in the face on the ferry. Not a fond memory and we didn't particually care for St. John to make a return trip there either and not just because of the rain, but many people adore it.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to clarify that when I contacted Grace Bay Car Rentals about my concern that we actually hadn't received a premium car, they immediately credited my account and charged me for a standard car. They are an extremely responsive operation. Plus, when I had previously contacted them after the fact, about receiving a 10% discount if booked at West Bay Club, which I read about on TripAdvisor, they honored that request as well. It's refreshing to see that level of honesty in this world.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I posted the link to my photos separately, but also wanted to include it as part of the trip report.

http://barefootbeach.smugmug.com/Tra...16128088_FKPiA
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 06:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I too am sorry that you had bad weather. The Caribbean in general is expensive so it's very dissappointing when the weather is bad.

After visiting 20+ islands, Grace Bay, TCI is now our favorite. All of them have things you like and things you don't like. The one common thing is the expense.

Our next favorites are Anguilla (but it's harder to get to),St. Bart's (again hard to get to and talk about expensive!), and St. John (pros and cons abound).

I have to say that we really hated Maui. As you had in TCI, it was rainy and gray every day for 2 weeks(well maybe 1 nice day). That obviously had alot to do with our opinion, but we also hated the traffic and the 200 people at the pool on their phones yakking away. Also the water didn't compare to the Caribbean in any way.

As you have been to many island already, try some more and then stick with your favorite. Ours just happens to be TCI.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TPAYT,
I still want to try Barbados, Tobago, Curacao and maybe, Dominica. Not a bad job doing the research!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM

We spent a week in May there a few years ago with our family and also had really bad weather. I know that affects my opinion of the island.

It is one of the easier islands to get to and we got great airfares at the time. It is a disappointing to be there if you have rain though. The island is all about the beautiful beach. It is not a pretty island, except for those wonderful beaches. It is really for beach lovers who just want to sit at the beach and there are a lot of people that love that.

The beach is fabulous but I prefer a more lush island.

I don't really have any desire to return. Now St. John, I love that island.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
KVR

TPAYT "have to say that we really hated Maui."

I thought we were the only ones.

We've been to many Caribbean Islands and Mexico several times. We tend to go to the Islands that are easier to get to. My favorite is Aruba to date. My Husband loves St. Lucia. There are so many more that we would love to see, but cost, time and travel are main factors. We are looking into a 11 to 14 day cruise next year to catch several that are still on our list for a reasonable cost. Though we are not really cruise type people, it seems a good way to see many in a short period of time and then we can always go later to a specific Island that we like if we want more time there.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

KVR,
Why did you love Aruba? I have an image of it that it's a scruffy dry island, overdeveloped with large hotels and casinos, and a cruise stop. So, please tell me what's wrong with my picture! I also can't help but think of Natalie Holloway (sp?) when I think of Aruba, which also gives me a negative image. I'm sure I'm missing the good reasons to go there, other than it's not in a hurricane prone area.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM

barefootbeach, I just returned from my fifth trip to Aruba for a family reunion. It's not my favorite island because it feels very Americanized and lacks the charm of some of the others, but I have to admit that if you're looking for nearly perfect weather, good shopping, and decent restaurants, it's not a bad place to go. Plus, the beaches are very clean, and there's a lot less
haggling/hassling than we've experienced in other places. That being said, I'll take Nevis or Jamaica or St. John over Aruba any day, although in all of those, we've had vacations marred by bad weather.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
KVR---IMO, if you want to cruise the Caribbean, look at Windstar Cruises and Star Clippers. Both are sailboats with either about 150 or 350 passengers. We've been in the islands when those 1500-2000 ships arrive and it's a nightmare amount of people. Picture standing in line in the hot sun for up to an hour waiting for your tender----YIKES!

Our favorite was the "Windsurf",300-350 people, luxury, and sailing fun.

On these small ships you can go into the harbors where the huge ships can't go----St. Bart's, Bequia, Prickly Pear, etc.

Our 2nd favorite was the "Star Flyer" of Star Clipper" lines. The sailing was outstanding with enough luxury and great food to satisfy us. Although the gourmet food on "Windsurf" was better.

barefootbeach---I have to agree with Weadles, Aruba is so Americanized but it does have good weather, especially in the early part of the winter when the islands up north are "iffy". So does Margarita Island, Venezuela. Now that's an island that really challenged us.

Barefootbeach-----Barbados is far enough south to go in Jan.-Feb. but in my opinion,stay on the west coast(yes, the expensive side) for the gorgeous, calm water. Great restaurants and yes, expensive. Loved the beach and water, but we were not impressed with the towns.

Dominica---whale watching great, nothing else.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:40 AM
KVR

barefootbeach, I loved Aruba because it is so Americanized. It reminds me alot of Las Vegas with a great beach. There are just tons of resturants and bars that part of the vacation experience is trying as many as you can. Eagle Beach is ranked one of the top 10 beaches in the Caribbean. We found the snorkeling good and loved the sailing trips we did. They have a bar hopping party bus that we thought was great and would do again if we ever got to return. We flew through Aruba to get to Curacao a couple of years ago and it was killing me that we couldn't leave the airport just to go have lunch and go shopping. They have great inexpensive linen shops and blue delft pottery which I collect. It was the over vibe that I got from it.

We have been going to the Caribbean side of Mexico for the last 10 years and we enjoy it there because we like the AI resorts and there are so many things to see and do off property, plus it is a very inexpensive and convenient destination for us. We are not ones to plop on a beach for a 7 night vacation. I have a full iteniary of things to see and do.

If you interested I have our vacation pictures posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn

TPAYT, I have looked at those cruise lines and they are a too pricey for us. I so agree with you though that if we could do that we would. I don't partically care for the mjor lines but sometimes we have to go with the flow to get there. We are doing a Princess cruise this September to Alaska and it is costing us a mint, but I think it will be worth it.

We are looking at Celebrity next year. They have introduced a pre-pay alcohol AI package, which we would benefit from. The iteniary goes to 8 Islands with only 2 sea days; St. Croix, Dominica, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, St. Kitts and starts in Pureto Rico.

Our other option we are considering is flying into Barbados for an 8 night stay and doing day trips to Grenada and St. Vincent.

I'm surprised you said Dominica has whale watching and nothing else. We are interested in seeing the many waterfalls there. Also on our list is Costa Rica and we would love to return to Jamaica.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barefootbeach,
Dominica is lovely little island but not if you are a beach lover. It has a lush reanforest and some beautiful vegetation and flowers, but not great beaches.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for sharing your insights on other islands!