T/C WHERE TO STAY?

Sep 17th, 2002, 10:25 AM
ALEXANDER

T/C WHERE TO STAY?

planning a trip in oct/nov with my wife to t/c. never been. we have done the caymans and anguilla and wanted to try something new. need help choosing a spot. we want to be on the beach and would like to snorkle right off the beach (if possible) and would like to stay at a place that are either suites or villas, so we can have a kitchen.

any other ideas about what to do there would be appreciated...

thanks

Sep 17th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Maureen

My husband and I went to Provo this past June for a week. We stayed at Coral Gardens, and the snorkeling was amazing just steps from our lounge chairs! We stayed in a one bedroom, beautifully decorated, and very spacious. We would highly recommend it. We made great use of our kitchen. We stocked snacks and drinks, and made breakfast to eat on our oceanfront balcony each morning. We rented a car for the week, and enjoyed touring the island for a couple of hours each afternoon. We enjoyed some really great dinners, most memorable were Coyaba at Coral Gardens and Anacoana at Grace Bay. Enjoy your trip!

Sep 18th, 2002, 06:39 AM
ALEXANDER

thanks maureen. we are looking at the coral gardens. im glad you liked it. anything else you can recommend us doing, day trips to other uninhabited islands? snorkeling? seems like you and your husband are similar to my wife and i. we like to hang around the resort in the morning and make our own lunches and frozen drinks and then explore later in the day.

thanks again.

Sep 18th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Maureen

Other people we met who stayed at Coral Gardens went on trips through the dive shop on premises, but we just enjoyed the beach, the pool and the snorkeling on site so much we didn't go. We both treated ourselves to wonderful massages at the Serenity Spa right at Coral Gardens. The week was wonderful, we really enjoyed the dining out. We enjoyed dinner at Baci at the Harbor. Live music at Anacaona on Wednesday and Friday nights, and also at the restaurant at Sibbone (I can't remember the name just now.) I have to say that the beach restaurant at Coral Gardens was kind of hit or miss...some days lunch was good and others kind of disappointing, but we just didn't want to leave the beach to go eat somewhere else. Bringing lunch fixings into your own kitchen is a good idea.

Sep 18th, 2002, 01:26 PM
howard

if you are into snorkeling a couple of timesd a day right off the beach recommend Coral Gardens. It si the only place the reef comes right up to the beach. We have stayed there 8 times and love it. Coral gardens is running a special 1 Sept-1 Nov--Stay 7 nights pay for 5. You will want a rental car to go to gey groceries, sightsee and go out to donner. When you first log on to Fodors on the left are all questions about the Caribbean. Go down to about #5 and look for a post restaurants in Provo TCI. I have a post there on several restaurants. Don't know why it didn't show up on the provo specific site. Feel free to e-mail me for room recommendations and any other questions

Sep 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Carol

Most of the resorts are running that pay for five nights & stay for seven nights since it is now the quietest time of the year in Provo.Check into Sands or Royal West Indies.Snorkeling,bikes & hobies included in price of Sands & RWI & both beautiful properties& less expensive than Coral Gardens.The beach fronts a lot less crowded.You will get the snorkeling hordes at Coral Gardens. Restaurants are better at Sands & RWI also.

Sep 19th, 2002, 03:42 PM
denette

I will have to disagree with Carol on the hordes of people coming to Coral Gardens, never in the 8 days we were there were there hordes of people, maybe when Carol went, but never anymore than maybe 40 people at best all up and down in front of Coral Gardens, and that included the guest that were staying at Coral Gardens. There were times when I was snorkeling that I was the only one out there at the reef or maybe one of four or five at a time. Everyone does come down to snorkel in front of Coral Gardens, but most come, snorkel and then are gone, except for the few who linger and take up the shade/umbrellas. Never was there a crowd, my idea of a crowd is where you can plop down on beach and within 15 yds of any direction there is someone who had spread out their belongings right on top of you. When we go back, Coral Gardens is where we will stay again for the rare pleasure of being able to step right out of condo and snorkel several times a day right off the beach and not have to go anywhere, it is right out your back patio door.

Sep 19th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Ella

my husband and I are considering the samwe trip..we were thinking of Grace Bay Club. Any reports/feedback would be great....

Sep 20th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Howard

Denette--I couldn't have said it better myself. Hordes of people on the beach at Coral Gardens makes it sound like the subway at rush hour. There is about 2 miles of beach to the west of Coral Gardens where there isn't even a resort. Yes people do come down from Beaches to snorkel but don't stay long. I understand there is a two hour time limit on their use of snorkel equipment. Yes some people are brash enough to use the Coral Gardens lounges even though there are signs posted for Coral Gardens guests use only. You can usually tell who doesn't belong there by the yellow life vests. The problem really isn't lounges, there are plenty but there are only about 15 umbrellas. If you feel uncomfortable asking someone to move have the front office or Matt at Cactus Voyager do it. Last April and June we never had a problem finding a lounge or umbrella at any time of the day. I suspect that on holidays, spring break and summer time when a lot of families are on vacation at beaches the problem is more pronounced but the situation is solveable. I too have been the only one snorkeling on the reef at times.

Sep 20th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Scott

Are there any less expensive resorts close to Coral Gradens, or maybe that also have a good reef to snorkel on site? Coral Gradens sounds great, but not sure we can afford it. Any suggestions on other less expensive properties on Provo that are still nice?

Sep 21st, 2002, 05:52 AM
Howard

Scott--You might check out The Seagate which is right behind Coral Gardens (no Beach view)--www.theseagate.com--Also Sea Feathers --www.seafeathers.com. There is a new resort Lantana which is about 500 yds west of Coral Gardens. It was about 75% built in June and should be close to finished now. Might have some introductory specials

Sep 21st, 2002, 02:42 PM
ST

Consider renting a house. There are a number of agencies on the web with pictures & descriprions of the properties. We have rented the same one several times & have been very happy with the extra space, lower price & being right on the beach. Note also that house rentals do not have the extra 10% gov tax.