Sunshine Suites/Grand Cayman

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 04:12 AM
lp

Sunshine Suites/Grand Cayman

Help! Have reservations to stay at the Comfort Suites in March and a friend just returned from there and said there was NO beach. Does anyone know if they rebuild the beach before peak season?? If not, the Sunshine Suites is across from the Westin and I've heard the beach there is excellent. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? I would appreciate ANY feedback from someone who has been there. Thanks.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 06:55 AM
MJ

The Westin is the place to stay but I assume it must be out of your price range. It is gorgeous and on a good stretch of beach. The Sunshine Suites are fairly new (I think about 3 or 4 years old only), not deluxe but good for the price! If you do want to be right on the beach, try the Treasure Island. It's not as new but it is right at the beginning of Seven Mile Beach and walking distance to town. It should price about the same.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 09:15 PM
longwalk

SS Suites looked very nice and my travel agent highly recommended it. But im glad we didnt stay there. It is a LONG way from the beach at least by my standards. And crossing the street in Cayman is no picnic. There are no crosswalks. If your budget is tight Id stay at the Holiday Inn. It's closer to the road.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:18 AM
lp

Thank you both for your input. I will look into both of the aforementioned hotels!

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 01:29 PM
xxx

We stayed at the SS suites in Nov. We loved it and the walk across the street is not bad at all. The beach at the confort suites was in horrible shape then. The HI is down the road and not near shopping and restaurants. You will need to take a cab . You can walk to nearby restaurants and the food store from the SS suites and it sure is nice to have a refrigerator and micro wave. Think of all the money you can save by having breakfast or lunch in your suite. They are spotless clean and priced at about 130 a night.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 06:36 AM
ss

We have just returned from a cruise which included grand cayman as a stop. We were excited to stop there, as we had spent one week in Grand Cayman in March 2001. We stayed at the Comfort Suites and absolutely loved it. The beach was beautiful. However, we returned there on our cruise about 2 weeks ago and were very surprised that the beach is virtually gone by the Comfort Suites. We had lunch at the hotel and spoke with one of the bartenders and she told us that much of the sand had shifted from the hurricane. She wasn't specific(and now I wish I would have asked more questions!!), but it sounds like more of the beaches are further north on seven mile beach. I had also heard that the beach in front of Treasure Island was great(and it wasn't when we were there in March). I can't answer your questions about Sunshine Suites. Our cruise stopped in Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel also and we still loved Grand Cayman the most. It is clean and we always felt safe. Hope this is of some help.