Sunset Beach Resort, Jamaica

Jan 21st, 2002, 01:38 PM
David

Sunset Beach Resort, Jamaica

Has anyone stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay? For a couple that is not looking for upscale, is it a decent place to stay? How are the beaches? Can you snorkel nearby? What about the food?

Thanks!

Jan 21st, 2002, 02:47 PM
lori

we were there last may/june, we had a great time, it is not an upscale posh resort - it is very nice and comfortable, well worth the price. if you would like more information please send an email. Beaches are natural - it is on a protected area - corel roof a few hundred yards from the beach - so therefore no chgs can be made to the beach, my husband snorkelled everyday and enjoyed it. food was fine - alot of people did not enjoy it - but the breakfasts were awesome. I did not mind the food at all.

Lori

Jan 21st, 2002, 03:14 PM
TRAVELER

We also stayed at Sunset Beach this summer to try it out with our teen age kids. We all enjoyed it. Nothing fancy at all. Clean rooms, ok staff. The food was good, the teens LOVED it. We also ate at the Oriental and the Italian restaurants, they were both very nice. The snorkleing was great IF you go beyond the rock breakers.
The house band they have in the evenings is really wonderful. On Monday nights Margaritaville come over and do a fun beach night party.
Just remember this is NOT a deluxe hotel. The doors on the closets are hard to close. The a/c units are a little loud. Fun place for a fair price.

Jan 21st, 2002, 03:45 PM
david

Thanks for the input, trying to decide whether to spend the extra $$$ for one of the nicer resorts. Probably not worth it for the amount of time we will actually be at the resort. All of the resorts seem to have a downside, near the airport or not on a nice beach. Glad to hear it's not a dive.

Is it easy to travel beyond the resort, like taking daytrips? I assume they have an excursion desk of some sort?

Did they have plenty of equipment to use at the beach (kayaks, sailboats, etc.)?

Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:00 AM
lori

excursions are great - they do have a desk there where you can book stuff. Also if you sign up through a pkg ie conquest vacations or whatever, they usually have a rep at the hotel to tell you the ins and outs which was nice. We were very happy at sunset - its not really close to the airport like sandals is - it was full when we were there but it seemed to feel like it was not - lots of space. I think that if you were to book it - you would enjoy yourself. Like people have said to me - its a third world country - the beach is fine - unless you are looking for sand as smooth and a babys bottom!!! Try it you'll like it!!!

Lori