Summer Vacation in 2010

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Vacation in 2010

Hello everyone, I am new here, I'm from Iceland and me, my girlfriend and my friends are trying to get some ideas for tropical vacation in summer 2010 (june, july, august).
I am aware of the rainy season that starts around that time (and the hurricane season). But I just wanted to get your opinion for the BEST possible selection of Caribbean vacation taking into account when it rains least and where, and so on...
I know many people who live with different climate usually go to the caribbean in dec, jan, feb but the summer is the only time for us. So if there is anyone who could recommend any tropical place around the before-mentioned time, that would be really nice.

Thanks in advance, regards, Atli
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM

First off, there's a big difference between what people describe as "rainy season" vs. "Hurricane Season". There is no real "rainy season" in the Caribbean. There are periods of time when many islands (especially those that are mountainous and lush)) get tropical rain showers that are usually very brief (lasting only minutes) and widely scattered. It is not unusual for it to be raining in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away. These tropical rain showers rarely have an affect on anyone's vacation. Hurricanes are another matter. The Official Hurricane Season runs from June 1 through November 30 with the most active period for major storms being from mid-to-late August through the end of October. The Caribbean encompasses a big area and the odds of a major tropical storm affecting a particular island at a particular point in time. If there are no storms brewing the weather can be quite good. There's no way to predict when or where a hurricane may strike. Typically, you only get about 5 days advanced notice that a major strom is threatening a particular area.

So what does this mean for you? Well, if you are planning to go to the Caribbean anytime between say June 1 and August 15 the chances are you'll encounter good weather wherever you go. Also, some islands like the Bahamas Out-islands, the Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, Grand Cayman, Anegada, Barbuda, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are flat arid islands and by definition get little rain, The US Virgin Islands, the British Virgin Islands, St. Martin, St. Barths, Antigua, Barbados, and many of the Grenadines are hilly i;lands but they are also somewhat arid so rain is not usually an issue. Lush mountainous islands like Jamaica, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, St. Kitts, Nevis, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenada get the most rain but, here again, usually not enough to spoil anyone's vacation.

One caveate - you are dealing with Mother Nature and no one can give you any guarantees when it come to predicting the weather.

The point of all this is, if you plan your trip between June 1 and August 15 the odds are in your favor you;ll encounter good weather no matter which island you visit. Therefore my best advice is to do some basic research about the different island (you can do that by using the "Destinations" link at the top of this page angd clicking through to the Caribbean). There you'll find brief summaries of what each island is like and what it has to offer. Since every island is different you should pick 2 or 3 that most appeal to YOU. You can then do further research on those island by using the search feature on this forum to check out recent posts.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM

Most major hurricanes happen after June, and many islands have excellent weather well into July. You can never be certain, but June is a great time to go to the Caribbean (any island), and prices are low. I've been to the Caribbean many times in June and July and have rarely seen a lot of rain; in fact, I've seen more rain in the winter season. Luckily, I've never experienced a hurricane or tropical storm.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, both "RoamsAround" and Doug, this has been very helpful !

Atli
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

What are your thoughts on the Domincian Republic?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:31 AM

If you like all-inclusive resorts or if you want to get off the beaten path and have a more genuine experience for relatively little money it's a great destination.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I do like all-inclusive resorts ! "Includes, meals, drinks, activities and more"
By "drinks", they mean booze?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM

lol yes they mean booze.
can you tell us how you'd like to spend your time. do you dive or wish to snorkel? fishing? are you active - tennis, golf, hiking, biking, zip lines, take scenic tours or see history? or more chill on the beach with a book types.
do you like to have dinner then go out dancing or gambling or will you want to have quiet drinks, discuss the problems of the world and turn in early?
if you can tell us your hotel budget we can, hopefully, suggest some specific resorts to suit your group.