Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for snorkeling and flats fishing destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a location that meets both of our needs. I LOVE snorkeling and if it is shore accessible all the better. On the other hand, DH is a die hard flyfisherman. I am looking into possibly doing a home exchange but just need to dial in the location. We've been to Belize which we were both happy with. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Can't help with the home exchange, but Turks and Caicos would do nicely, excellent fly fishing at Middle Caicos, and excursions for fly fishing from Provo, the main island. Also on Provo, you can snorkel off the beach at Coral Gardens and Smith's Reef. Bonus that Grace Bay Beach is one of the best in the world.

No home exchanges though, but if you give a budget, could help you with that.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM

grand cayman offers lots of beach snorkeling & bonefishing.
http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Of...Snorkeling.htm
http://www.fish-bones.com/about.html
i just spent 3 weeks on gc in a house on the north side called thatch hill. i made a point of looking at other houses for future visits, so i might be able to offer some thoughts on houses you may find through your exchange program. have you done this before? how did it work out? i like the idea of staying in someone elses home but not at all sure how i feel about strangers in my home...
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Not sure you'd be able to do a home exchange in the carribean, why leave paradise, lol. There are some houses for rent, and reasonable inns/hotels on Harbour Island, and some AMAZING dive sites, like a Civil War TRAIN, on the bottom of the ocean.

Also some of the best flats fishing on Girls Bank off Harbour Island. You can snorkle off beach or arrange snorkle trips with one of the 2 dive operators onisland. OR you can have one of the local water taxis take you out to a deserted island for the day and come back and pick you up at a designated time. Some amazing snorkling off some of these cays.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Check out Cape Santa Maria Resort on Long Island in the Bahamas. Some very good to excellent snorkeling in the area and very good bone fishing. The resort guides will take you snorkeling while others your DH fishing.

Sorry, I don't think they do home exchanges but there are rental homes next door to the resort.

By the way, you didn't say where your home is located but unless you are in an area that is of major interest to those living in the Caribbean you may find it difficult to do a home exchange.