Snorkeling trip to Caribbean

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Snorkeling trip to Caribbean

I am trying to plan an anniversary trip for my husband and I in May. We like laid back resorts with good snorkeling, a good bar and food - not really gourmet. We loved Caneel Bay, Biras Creek and the Caymans, but want to try something different if there is good snorkeling also. My thoughts are The Buccaneer in St. CRoix, or Cap Juluca/or Cuisinart in Anguilla. Any suggestions since I need to book right away. Thanks for your advice!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Cap Jaluca or Cusinart on Anguilla are both very nice upscale resorts but both lack and "off-beach" snorkeling and thee is not much snorkeling on the island - the best is at Shoal Bay East but the reef there is relatively small so you'll see all there is to see in about 30 to 45 minutes. There's some decent snorkeling off of Little Bay but that beach is accessible only by boat unless you are willing to climb down/up a 30' rope ladder to reach the beach which is located at the bottom of a steep cliff. The best snorkeling in the area is at Prickley Pear Island - several operators run day trips to that island. There was a recent post on Anguilla snorkeling which pointed out a few remote beaches where you can snorkel. Use the forum seach feature to find it.

Can't help you with S. Croix other than to say I've heard there is good snorkeling around Buck Island but where tat is in relation to The Buccaneer will have to come from someone else.

The island of Bonair has some very good to excellent off beach snorkeling but the beaches on the island don't compare to the places you've been or to the ones you'd find on Anguilla. Bonaire also lacks the upscale resorts you are used to visiting.

You'll find excellent snorkeling in the Tobago Cays (in the Grendaines). These cays can easily be reached by day trip from Palm Island Resort or Petit St. Vincent Resort - the latter might meest your desire for an upscale resort and there is some, albeit limited average to good off-beach snorkeling at the resort. FYI - IMO food at this resort meets your requirement of "good" - it's definitely not gourmet.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM

if you would consider turks and caicos you could look at coral gardens hotel which has a nice reef directly in front of the hotel. there are a couple other beach snorkels and plenty of short ride trips to reef and nearby cays. any of numerous other upscale resorts on provo are very nice as well. gorgeous beach!! very laid back place. not much shopping. known for good restaurants. provo will be somewhat like caymans - a flat scrubby coral based island.
a friend of mine just returned from palm island and said the boat trip to tobago cays was nice and the snorkeling wonderful. resort very small, very upscale. she didn't say much about the food but i will e her now and ask.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.I am now thinking that either the US or British Virgin Islands would be my best bet. Having been to Caneel Bay and Biras Creek and thought that was great snorkeling, would we be dissappointed at The Buccaneer/St. Croix or should I look further?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Stay in the US Virgin islands.

St Croix has limited shore snorkeling.

St. John is the best. No one will argue this.

Stay at any resort in your budget there..

Why have the hassle of passports?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I think that you have to have a passport now. We were there last in 2005 and they asked for a passport which we had. However, I don't know if we would have had a problem if we didn't have one. I would check on that issue though.
As to St. Croix, I had heard that there were safety issues there and during that last visit to St. John we took a boat out to snorkle and was told by the operator of the boat (who used to live on St Croix) that it was indeed more dangerous for tourists. Maybe that has changed in the last year and half. I love SJ, but I can't help with resorts. We always rent a villa and much prefer that to resorts. Good luck and have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I second Turks and Caicos. It's nice and laid back and snorkeling is fabulous. We loved their restaurants out there and there are ample to chose from.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!!