Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for family vacation, please.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Massachusetts Mom

The weather in Massachusetts is getting colder and we're starting to think about our next tropical vacation as a family (2 adults and 2 boys--ages 7 and 11). Have been considering Beaches (Turks and Caicos) or Casa de Campo (Dominican Republic). Would love to hear from those who have recently been to either of these places and from anyone who has another suggestion.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:23 PM
xxx

We went to Beaches in T&C several years ago. Lovely beach, a real family resort. The food was o.k. I have also been to the Dominican but not the resort you speak of. At T&C there are many acitivities for kids, and snorkeling right off the beach. It is a quiet peaceful place. You may want to read some reviews on Beaches before making up your mind.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Gini

How about a private home on a private beach? The cover of Fodor's Bahamas 2002 has a single person in a cove on the water. That beach is right in front of our rental home! Yes, Wandering Starr Villa is on the island of San Salvador, Bahamas (www.sansalvadorbahamas.com) Have the kids look up Columbus and Watling Island and San Salvador. Teach them to read map co-ordinates and find the little island. Make them part of the decision. There is very little tourism there, but there is a Club Med (Columbus Isle) that you could go to for dinner and a show. The rest of the time, get to know each other and plan <BR>a no TV, island visit! This is truly a wonderful island adventure. For more information email us.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Debbie

I don't know about Turks and Caicos but the Casa de Campo resort in DR is very well known as a great golf resort. The golf course is rated best in the caribbean and in top 25 or so worldwide. I don't know how it would be for the young boys. Go to this website for reviews of DR:<BR>www.debbiesdominicantravel.com<BR>If I were to pick the DR, it would be Punta Cana because of the spectacular beaches. Check it out while you're at the website. For other caribbean resort reviews, go to this website:<BR>www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:56 AM
me

Follow the link below for a great family travel website. It has been a huge help to me while planning my next trip with the kids from BOS too!<BR><BR>http://travelwithkids.about.com/

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Tina

Grand Cayman has lots do do, great beaches, clear water and you have your choice between hotels or condos.<BR><BR>Good luck