ST Thomas Sugar Bay Resort?

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ST Thomas Sugar Bay Resort?

Still looking for someone who has stayed here/ Is it nice? Close to activities, etc?
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Hi Haley,
Sorry I've been so slow in getting back to you. We got home Saturday night. We loved Sugar Bay! Not perfect, but good. We would go back again, which is always a good sign. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival and taken to our room, which overlooked the bay. We had asked for building D on the second floor and they complied with our request. They had three interconnecting pools, all at different depths with a grotto and cascading waterfall and the bridge up above. The water was cold, but after the second day, we welcomed the coolness. The restaurants had changing menu's every night. Yummy desserts. The drinks are fantastic. I asked for everything by brand name, and they had everything. They even had my brandy at the bar by the pool. Last year, we stayed at the Westin in GC and every time I ordered a brandy, they had to go to the main hotel ands pour it while I waited and waited and then had to deal with the bartenders pouting. So that was very refreshing. The grill had hamburgers(or cheeseburgers.They asked if you wanted cheese), chicken sandwiches, hot dogs and veggie burgers. They had the condiments out for you and bags of potato chips. The restaurant beside the pool was better for lunch than dinner. They had stuff like grilled ham and cheese, pizza, nachos, french fies, salad bar, yummy desserts again, etc. Every night, they have something in the night club:Karaoke - and the DJ brought in a bunch of friends from the island who filled in while people were getting their "liquid courage". Great voices. Dancing, 70's night, game night(We won a bottle of wine), etc. They also show a movie every night. There aren't tons of day activities, although there are some. Bingo- I won, Giant Jenga - I won a big bottle of rum. Pool volleyball and things for the kids like the Parrot lady. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I would be happy to answer them.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Was the general atmosphere dressy or casual? We're just looking for a place to relax and enjoy not really to dress to impress. Thanks and glad to hear that you enjoy your time away
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:43 AM

It was more of a casual atmosphere. As far as dress at the restuarants: At the Mangrove, you can wear shorts, etc. That is buffet. At the Manor House, T-shirts would not be appropriate as it's more of an island resort wear restaurant. It is a sit-down.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Hi There,

The Wyndham seems to be one of those places that folks either really like or really dislike. I've never particularly cared for it but have several friends who love to go there. To me it is not my idea of a 'quiet beachfront' resort which is what I prefer.I have referred to Sugar Bay in the past as being like a cruise ship on land and still think that is a pretty good description. There is plenty of activity, drinks and meals are included so it is easy to control your additional spending when on vacation. At the same time, the food (IMHO) is not close to being the best on the island and the island offers a wonderful assortment of food in all types and price ranges. St. Thomas would not be one of the places where I would pick an A/I option because of the ease and choice of great restaurants.

The rooms are nice - large bed, table and chairs, ceiling fan, comfy chairs and a large dresser. You also get a fridge and a coffee maker. The views from the rooms can be wonderful...partly because you are so high up on the hillside. The disadvantage to this is the long walk up and down the steps to get from the rooms to the pool, beach area and one of the restaurants.The resort has a 'passable' beach and offers lots of water sports and activities. As a base of operations, it can be a good choice.....and if you are the type who never wants to leave your resort, it would probably be a good choice.

Schultz