Reload this Page >

St. Thomas or somewhere else??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 11:32 AM
Frank Stefanec

We're going to take the kids to the Cayman Islands in late spring, but my wife wants to go somewhere else in early spring, just the two of us. Any recommendations for other Caribbean Islands. <BR> <BR>She seems to like St. Thomas, but for no special reason other than "reputation." <BR> <BR>We are looking for about 5 days of sun, food, and maybe some shopping, although the latter isn't a must. We'd be happy to sit by a pool and tinkle our toes in some beach. Florida won't do&lt;g&gt;. <BR> <BR>Golf isn't important on the trip with just my wife. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for any advise. <BR> <BR>Frank Stefanec

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 01:18 PM
Patrick

Have you considered St. John. Unless you want a biggeer selection of restaurants and night life St. John is a much nicer place. There is almost no crime and the island is vey beautiful-two thirds is a national park. It is far les commercialized than St. Thomas. There are a small number of nice stores bit not the bargains that you can suppossedly find on St. Thomas. If you definitely want a resort there are nly two and they are both very expensive-Caneel Bay and the Westin but there are condos and private homes for rent. Good Luck.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 02:55 AM
Phil

Frank ... the answer to that is simple. Almost ANYWHERE ELSE BUT St.Thomas. What a terrible place. If you MUST stay in US territory, St. John is quieter and much prettier. But right across the way from St. John is the BVI and Tortola, which is a completely different experience that I highly recommend. Feel free to give me a call for details, or e mail. 1-800-585-9896.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 05:12 AM
Sarah

I was in St. Thomas in 1992 and it was enjoyable but there are definitely many better islands to visit. We spent a week on St. Thomas and 3 days on St. John and wished we had done it the other way around. St. John was beautiful. Very laid back and fantastic beaches and snorkeling. Since then I have been to several other islands and my favorites are Anguilla and the BVI's. Both of these are very safe and friendly places with beautiful beaches, great accomodations and excellent restaurants. Email me if you would like any more information. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 07:05 AM
Heather

We were in St. Thomas (on our way to St. John) and it was like being in New York City. Ok, maybe the weather was better but as far as the crowds and traffic, it was similar. We loved St. John. So quiet and peaceful and BEAUTIFUL. When we wanted to shop, we just took the ferry over to St. Thomas (15mins and $3!). But St. John did have some nice shops also. Good luck.