St. Thomas - Honeymoon Information Needed

Jan 29th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Shauna

St. Thomas - Honeymoon Information Needed

We are planning a honeymoon in September and are thinking of a week or two in St. Thomas. (although I am open to suggestions for other destinations). I would also like some information on the weather in St. Thomas in mid September. We are looking for somewhere that is romantic where we can just lay on the beach but has options for day trips, sightseeing, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jan 31st, 2001, 09:36 PM
D.L.I.

Dear Shauna, We spent 8 days on St. Thomas last July. I have been to Hawaii 5 times in my life and I would take the Caribbean anytime. The beaches and the water are far more beautiful in the Caribbean. We stayed at the Renaissance Grand Beach. It was a very nice hotel that had it's own beach but was also in walking of a nearby local beach(if you want a taste of the culture). There is a famous beach on the island called Magen's bay that is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We went there on a day when there was no cruise ships in port and it was not too crowded(it is also very long). You can snorkle or rent float mattresses. There are even servers that work the beach and will bring your drinks right into the water to you. There is one golf course on the island that my husband tried out. The greens aren't the greatest but he enjoyed the staff and there were really no crowds. There is a ferry to St. Johns that takes about 20 min. and lots of taxi's just waiting for tourists to get off to take you on tours or out to Trunk Bay, which is another popular snorkling spot. We also took a day sail with about 35 other people. They fed us a great lunch and the drinks were free flowing. You go to 2 great snorkling spots that are very secluded. There are lots of cruises like this but we had a great time on the Horizon with capt. Alan. There are lots of beaches and we did not get to see all we wanted. We rented a car to get around but I must warn you the roads are narrow, steep in parts, not very well maintained, and they drive on the other side of the road. If your adventursome I'd go for it because then you don't have to rely on taxi's. Just don't drive late at night because their drinking and driving laws are NOT enforced. You can also go parasailing or rent wave runners.
As far as the weather, it only fluctuates 5 degrees a year. Sept. is in the middle of their hurricane season and they did have a bad one 5 years ago that hit in Sept. Other than that we loved St. Thomas. I'm sure you can tell! One last suggestion is alittle VERY romantic Italian restuarant in Charlotte Amelie called Virgilios. A local recommended it to my husband and we went there our last night. It was a wonderful way to end our vacation. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great honeymoon.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Shauna

Thank you so much for the information. The only difficulty we are having now is where to stay. I have been given the use of a time share and our first choice was not available. Bluebeards Castle is available for the time we were looking for in September (our wedding in Sept. 8) but I would like some information on this place first. Our first choice is to stay on the beach of course, Bluebeards is not on the beach but apparently they offer free transportation to Magen's Bay and also into town. Any thoughts on this? Since this trip is not going to cost us anything, except for food, entertainment, etc. should we not be so picky about the "staying right on the beach" thing. There were other destination choices for the time we are looking for but I think I like all the options that St.Thomas provides. I have been there on a cruise-stop and I really liked it. We wanted something romantic and tropical and somewhere that we could do nothing or everything for two weeks.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:02 PM
Nicole

Hi Shauna.
My husband and I just returned from St. Thomas on the 19th of January. We were married while there. We loved it! It is absolutely beautiful.
I would be careful about going in Sept. Many people told us that the place is very quiet during Sept. because it's hurricane season...that is the islands slowest month according to those we talked with while there.
The temp while we were there was lower 80s for highs and 73 for a low.
We loved St. Thomas and plan on returning this summer. I would recommend renting a villa while there. We went through a company called McLaughlin Anderson and had a great experience. Our villa was called Seventh Heaven (1 BR, LR, Kitchen), and it was darling! The view was spectacular. You can get prices from McLaughlin's website.
I hope this helps! Feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:55 PM
cara

chck out THE RITZ CARLTON, views of St John are great in 2nd or 3rd floor room, lovely resort in mediterranean theme with gorgeous infinity pool! take day trip on their large catamaran to St John and/or The Baths on Virgin gorda-Be Aware-Sept is prime hurricane month, they were lucky this past year, keep watching Weather channel up to departure time and have 2nd choice of island in mind if need to reroute quickly!

Feb 9th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Larry

My wife and I are going to St. Thomas in August for our tenth wedding anniversary. We were married at the Frenchman's Reef in 1991. We are using our time share to stay at the Bluebeards Beach club. (the old Limetree resort). They have shuttles to take guests to Bluebeards Castle, so I would imagine if you stayed at the Castle you could take the shuttle to the Beach Club and use their amenities.Ask if the Beach Club is available for your dates. Good luck--you will love St. Thomas

Feb 10th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Karen

If you are a RCI member and using the Castle thru them, you might want to ask about the Elysian. It is on Cowpet Bay and has a lovely beach. The shuttle no longer goes to Magen's but does go to the Castle, the Elysian and BlueBeard's Beach Club (the old LimeTree). They have done extensive rebuilding there and I hear that the new units are wonderful but don't know if they are RCI or how you "trade" into them. I thought Sapphire also has some timeshare units as well ... but don't understand how timeshares really work. Sunset Ridge on St. John also has timeshare units as does Megan's Bay Resort.