St Thomas-Considering Moving There-Anyone??

Jun 22nd, 1999, 10:11 PM
Diana C.

St Thomas-Considering Moving There-Anyone??

Hi. My husband are visiting ST Thomas in Sept and are seriously considering relocating there from CT. Pending on jobs there of couse- we are both Paramedics. (hard work for little pay). Does anyone have ANY information on living in the US virgin islands? We would love some advise. Is it expensive as we have herd? Thanks. Diana C.

Jun 24th, 1999, 05:22 AM
Parrot Mom

Hi-spent a week there in February, also very familiar with Paramedics (is it a new program there)....the transplants tell me it's very expensive, but worth it... Lots of traffic jams, i.e. probably MVA's...high crime rate... CA closes down at 5:00 p.m....tight.. Didn;t see the hospital in St. Thomas, but there is also one in St. John with heli pad for serious injuries... Good Luck...

Jun 24th, 1999, 10:10 AM
Diana C.

Thanks! No higher crime rate than where we are now..Bridgeport,CT..and my husband is in South Bronx NY. Talk about burn out. We are ready for any change! We'll let you know.

Jun 24th, 1999, 03:33 PM
jd

Bravo! I would say, go for it. I would suggest, though, that you take a look at St. Croix. St. Thomas/St. John are very, very touristy and one can get very sick of tourists everywhere you look. St. Croix is more of a working island, probably better to live on for the reason that it's less desirable to be a tourist on.

Jun 28th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Bob K.

Diana C.
My wife and I were discouraged from thinking about that aspect of life all those times we visited there, as we were informed that all outsiders have a 6 month (legal) maximum stay, whether or not you own your own place, etc.
Bob K.

Jun 29th, 1999, 04:23 AM
Bex

Not true on the 6 month legal stay. I lived on St Croix from 89 to 94. The USVI are an American territory. The only rights you loose is being able to vote for the president. And thats only if you make the USVI your official residence. E mail me if you have any questions about living on St Croix. It can be a tough place to live but sounds like you guys have the right stuff!

Aug 10th, 1999, 05:36 PM
bud

Hey! Sept is high hurricane month!Watch
Channel 45 Weather at 10 mins. to every
hour for updates. Paramedics are in demand by several ourfits. Housing can be very expensive, and food, but if you aren't too demanding it's not that bad.
I am 72, live alone, have been here 16 of the past 25 years and still love it.
If you have specific questions, get back
to me. Crime is not that much of an
issue, it's like anywhere. Everything is totally casual here, most everyone is
very friendly and helpful. What you will
experience staying in a tourist hotel
and going on tours is nothing like you will experience if you live here. All
in all, I suspect you would love it here
if we get thru the hurrican season with
out a direct hit(Sept & Oct left). Bud

Search this Thread