Where do I begin w/ Puerto Rico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I've been to a few places around the world, but have never been the official "planner." I'm thinking about going to Puerto Rico in August. I've been researching online, but I'm trying to figure out an itinerary for about 5-7 days. Any suggestions on where to get ideas? Is the best way to travel around by car? I know these are big questions, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks =)
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM

You'll need a car..in no particular order - Old San Juan (which you can hit coming or going) El Yunque (the rain forest, which you can hit going to Vieques or from Old San Juan) Vieques (there are a ton of threads on here) and Rincon (particularly if you have any surfers along). You probably don't want to do Rincon & Vieques as they are at the opposite ends of PR. If you do Rincon, the Camuy Caves comes to mind.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM

best site ever for PR. is gotopuertorico.com there you will anything and everything to do there.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM
rqf

A rental car would be the way to go. There is no inter island train or bus system. If you don't want to rent a car you might consider staying in the San Juan area for 3 or 4 days and use tours to see the sights - Rain Forest, and Caves and you can do Old San Juan on your own. You could then go to Vieques for a few days.

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM

As a resident of Old San Juan past 4 years...

If you are into "cultural tourism" then I suggest Old San Juan and its accessibility to other cultural sites.

Its the capital and surrounding area has amazing history. It is very family friendly. Great food, art, galleries and everything Puerto Rican!

many day trips available from Old San Juan to outskirts..

DONT DRIVE.......if you are first time visitor--its very very hectic.

Stay at Old San Juan Sheraton that has an amazing conceirge operation that can get you affordably anywhere in Puerto Rico.

Sheraton is offering an amazing travel deal. Call 1-866-653-7577 and ask for rate code "Explore." (This is an insiders tip

www.sheratonoldsanjuan.com
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Please see my prior trip report which includes some items about the aforementioned Sheraton. If I was picking, The El Convento is the place to stay in Old San Juan. Driving in San Juan can be hectic, but to see anyother part of the Island, you'll need a car.