St Martin warning

Jun 5th, 2001, 11:23 AM
PierreL

St Martin warning

If your planning a holiday to St Martin you would be advised to go to traveltalkonline.com and read the post Le Trip Report. The writer describes a very unfortunate event where a couple is mugged.Be careful.

Jun 5th, 2001, 11:50 AM
kaylee

Pierre:
Thanks for the warning. We were thinking of finalizing vacation plans there. This adds another dimension.

Jun 5th, 2001, 12:02 PM
penny

St. Martin has had a crime problem for many years! I read the report and I still think it was foolish of this couple who witnessed the mugging to walk the same walk again, no one is immune no matter how street smart you think you are!

Jun 5th, 2001, 12:46 PM
BarbaraKK

Appreciate the warning. It is very unusual to read an honest trip report from St Martin. The skeptics will now respond with "it happens everywhere, even where I live , be on alert".Unfortunately in St Martin(and Jamaica) the tourists are the targets which is not the usual situation in your hometown.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
Jamie

The stories of crime in St Martin are legion, and my experience is that due to hurricanes and official corruptionk, the island is not as safe as most in the Caribbean. Like Jamaica, it's an island of contradictions -- beautiful resorts surrounded by poverty.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 12:16 PM
Where?

What post?

Dec 2nd, 2001, 12:51 PM
anonymous

This is an old post--not sure why someone decided to resurface. The trip report is from June. Here's a link:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=reports&Number=38467&page=7&view=collapsed&sb=5

Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:37 AM
Tanya

Pierre

Thanks for the heads up. We had originally been a little apprehensive about an upcoming trip after reading some posts here.

But now that you've pointed us to this other board and subsequently to a GOBEACH.COM board, I'm much more relieved. After seeing how much these people have really enjoyed their vacations, we can't wait to go.

BTW, Why did you bring up such an old post?

Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:37 AM
al

Yeah, I read all the horror stories before my recent trip there and was a little worried. I even thought about cancelling the trip and going somewhere else. But I've got to tell you -- honestly -- I have never come back from a vacation as relaxed and feeling so good as when I got back from St. Martin. For every one negative there are ten positives. I saw no crime and never felt threatened. Of course I didn't leave my rental car unlocked with the windows down and a Hassablad camera in full view in the back seat. I didn't wander around Grand Case or Philipsburg after the restaurants had closed, asking for trouble. Seek and ye shall find. That said, there's no shortage of great beaches and great restaurants on the island, and if you're not opposed to renting a car and getting out on the road with the 'maniacs' you'll have a great time. As a general rule, if it's peace and tranquility you want, stay on the French side; if you want to party, go Dutch. Whatever you do, don't worry about some ancient thread about rampant crime, because it's just not accurate.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:54 AM
phil

THERE IS CRIME EVERYWHERE IN THE CARIBBEAN.

That is the reality on many, not all, islands. St. Lucia, St. Croix, Jamaica, all have problem areas and I've heard stories about each. American's have this view of the Caribbean from Disney movies and Jimmy Buffet songs. The reality is higher than average unemployment rates and low wages.

The previous post from Al says exactly what I think. Have fun and ignore a post from six-months ago.

Feb 27th, 2002, 06:50 PM
raid

The only crime i encountered in St. Martin was the roaches. We stayed at the most exclusive hotel and I had to hold my breath to go to the bathroom at night!!! They tried to control them but one ventured into my suitcase and came home with me. I don't like to rag on one of my favorite places,but I can't help it.OH,I had to hold my breath because they sprayed so much raid!!!!

Feb 27th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Bob

Raid, the NAME of this place, please?

Feb 28th, 2002, 05:57 AM
x

yeah, raid, what's the name of the place?

bet you're lying.

Feb 28th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Ted

Ahhhhh -- La Samanna -- definitely OVERRATED and OVERPRICED!!

Mar 1st, 2002, 04:12 AM
TikoSue

We've traveled to St. Martin since 1997 and never had a problem! Sounds like people who do run into such arent't being wise. Great island we love it.

Mar 1st, 2002, 06:09 AM
The Truth

Reputation notwithstanding, there are plenty of thriftier places to stay on St. Martin that are close if not equally as nice, so if you really and truly ran into a problem there, sorry about that. But I find it hard to believe that an internationally famous resort would have a major roach problem, and would tend to believe that if there were any roaches in your room you brought them with you from home.

Next time stay somewhere within your budget so you won't feel slighted and then obligated to trash the place in a feeble attempt to "get even".