Have you done a day trip to the Grenadines?

Feb 28th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Shawn

Have you done a day trip to the Grenadines?

We will be going to St. Lucia in April and are interested in doing a day sailing trip to the Grenadines. Can anyone recommend the best, most affordable way to do this? Can you provide any feedback from your experience? Thanks!

Feb 28th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Eva

I would not recommend a day-sailing trip from St. Lucia to the Grenadines. From the southern tip of St. Lucia to St. Vincent is a 20+ mile open ocean sail in challenging seas, and then you need to get past St. Vincent to get to the northernmost of the Grenadines, Bequia. Getting to Bequia from St. Lucia, one-way, is a full day's undertaking. If you are really interested in such a trip, you might look into catching an inter-island flight to one of the Grenadines, and then see about sailing from there.

Feb 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
curiousx

I met some folk one year who went with a St. Lucia tour company that flew them into and, from Bequia, arranged for them to take a day trip on the catamaran, Passion, to the Tobago Cays. I don't know whether the people then flew back from Union Island to St. Lucia, or sailed back up to Bequia and flew out the next morning. I've sailed with Passion often, and can recommend it. I've posted a couple of addresses below so you can find out more, including the possibility of a St. Lucia connection:

[email protected]
www.vincy.com/passion

Feb 28th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Shawn

Thanks for the responses. I realize we would need to take an inter-island flight to do this and should have stated that in my original question. That would make for a LONG day otherwise! I will check out the addresses you gave me. If there are any other responses - do you have first hand exeperience from flying inter-island from St. Lucia to do a day sailing trip in the Grenadines? Is it worth it and do you have to stay overnight? Thanks again!

Feb 28th, 2002, 02:39 PM
STEVE

I took an excusrsion from St. Lucia to the Grenedines in Nov-2000. Flew to Union island and met up with a 6 hour catamerang trip stopping at 2 other islands for swimming and snorkelling as well a lunch.(package deal)

I really enjoyed the trip..the flight was about 20 mins. at approx 3000 feet if I remember correctly..small plane, about 20 seats..
Drinks and snacks on the catameran and music..the colours of the water and scenery is beyond comparison. Crystal clear water and too many shades of blue to mention. You wont see this in St. Lucia

I think the cost was about $250 US per person for the day..Flight returns same day..I am sure you could arrange an overnight. Not sure whats available for accomodations though. And I should caution that they will cancell the flights if the weather is not good. This happened to us on the day we had booked to go. It may be ok in St.Lucia but rough weather at the islands so they will not fly..This is basically better for you anyway because if not sunny and clear there is really no reason to visit the grenedines..The scenery is the attraction. If you do plan to go and/or stay over night make sure you dont leave it to the last 1-2 days of your trip or you may be left
disappointed or stranded if they cancel
the flight.

Hope this helps..feel free to post any other questions and I'll try to answer if I can.

Mar 1st, 2002, 07:17 AM
Shawn

Steve,

Thank you so much for the info! Do you recall the tour company you used?

Mar 1st, 2002, 09:33 AM
Steve

Not off hand..It was a trip sold by the reps at the Sandals Halcyon resort. I will take a look in our "memories" box to see if we kept any momento's from the trip. It's very likely my wife did keep something with a name on it.

Perhaps the Sanadals web site would have some info?