Reload this Page >

St. Martin/Safe destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Joan A.

Compared to most other Caribbean destinations, NO. Hurricanes have led to very high unemployment which has led to crime. If crime is a top concern of yours, stick to islands with healthy economies -- such as Grand Cayman, Curacao, BVI, etc. <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:02 AM
tim

i agree with joan's opinion. have been to many islands and health of the econ is very important <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:46 AM
R. Bailey

If crime is your major concern, stick to small, upscale islands such as Anguilla or St. Bart's. The BVI are OK; Curacao is in the same category as St. Martin. However, neither Curacao nor St. Martin is dangerous for tourists who are reasonably cautious in their behaviour. St. Martin in particular has gotten a lot of attention from scare-mongers on some boards.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Carmen

I was in St. Martin last February. We stayed on both sides of the island and had no problems at all. I have been to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, and St. Croix so I have some comparisons. All have their less attractive areas -- use your common sense as you would at any other time. FYI, in my opinion, Turks are by far the best!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Betsy

We've been to St. Maarten about 10 times, and have never had a problem, even after the hurricane of 1995, which has left Mullet Bay a mess to this day, (litigation) Taking reasonable precautions is always a good idea, but I have driven all around the island alone, french and dutch side, and we have driven at night a lot, back from restaurants in Grand Case, eg, and have never had a problem. Betsy