Reload this Page >

Safe Entertainment for Teens in Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Dianne

We are going to Jamaica for Spring Break in April - taking two 17-year-old boys with us. Any suggestions for safe entertainment for the boys???

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Mary

We are going to Beaches in Negril this summer with four teens - if you learn anything either on this board, or from your actual trip, I'd appreciate an e-mail. Thanks and hope you hear something. <BR> <BR>Mary <BR>[email protected]

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 02:37 PM
CB

Safe for teens??? Ha!!!! Ganja is sold everywhere and by pressure salesmen. My girls, as pre-teens, were offered pot climbing Dunn River Falls. Negril is notorious as the most hedonistic of all resorts. <BR> <BR>I stopped taking my kids to Jamaica. They have learned to do all the dangerous activities there! <BR> <BR>Good luck, Mom. Hope you aren't the worrying kind!

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Leila

Best to keep the kids on resort grounds. Went to Negril 2 years ago, and when we got bored at the resort we (2 couples, and both husbands are over 6'2" and are into bodybuilding) we tried going out a few times. We were harrassed constantly! The guys were pressured to buy drugs, and us girls got a different kind of attention, if you know what I mean. I cant say that I was afraid for my life, but concerned and we never really relaxed until we got back to the resort. I do have to add that Ive been to at least 6 different caribbean islands and different places in Mexico, and NEVER felt this uncomfortable before (or since). <BR> <BR>Even at the resort, they were offering us drugs (mostly pot), so unless you have 110% confidence that your teens arent into drugs, the temptation could be too great to resist! Good luck..

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Mary

Did you feel at all unsafe at the resort. Could teens walk around at night, sit by the pool, etc. at a resort without being bothered? Often times they sit in groups and chat and hang out. Is this advisable? Thanks for your insight!

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:57 AM
Teresa

Our family stayed at Beaches Negril over Thanksgiving and felt very safe. I was very comfortable letting our 11 and 8 year olds venture to the Sega room, gift shop, etc. without us, as long as they stayed together. Beaches security is very very careful on the beach--we had to give them our name and room number whenever we ventured off of the Beaches grounds on the beach. My husband was offered pot by one of the parasailing guys but it was no big deal--he said no thanks and that was that. I'm guessing that all bets are off, though, once you leave the resort--we kept our kids close to us then. Don't worry while you're in the resort--very safe for 17 year olds. By the way, several families made use of portable walkie-talkies--the kids had one and the parents had the other. We thought it was such a great idea that we came home and headed right for Radio Shack. $100 is worth peace of mind. Beaches Negril is fun fun fun.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 02:36 PM
sally

I do have an honest question. Why go when there are many more places that are safer? Don't start the "there is crime everywhere" lecture, I know that but crime in Jamaica is 5X higher than the US, I just would not take kids there (during Spring break??!!)when there are so many other places to chose from that I personally would be more comfortable at. If it was just me that would be different, I have enough travel experience to see situations arising, do 2 17 yr olds?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:10 PM
Mary

Hi Sally. Thanks for your opinion. We have only been to Virgin Gorda, and in my opinion it is too laid back for teens. Any other suggestions than Jamaica? Looking for water sports, other teens and maybe some dancing at night for them- they love to dance. I am a bit worried about Jamaica - I read half say don't go- the other say go. If I knew of a strong alternative, I would look at it. Teens are a different breed to travel with - they want fun too. Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Christie

How about taking your teens ot one of the big resorts in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen, Mexico? They have just as many activities for them,and there is a LOT less crime and drugs. Plus, there will be lots of other people their age at the resorts.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Sally

Christie's suggestion is good & I'd throw in Cozumel for a possiblity, fun nightlife but on a much smaller scale, great snorkeling, reasonable prices. It was very entertaining to me but then I'm not 17! Cabo can get pretty crazy but it is very expensive, or perhaps PV. Even the Key West area can be fun. Good luck!

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 02:07 AM
rita

recently returned from a trip with my 17 yr old to cozumel. He was offered drugs only twice which a quick no thanks covered. <BR>We did not do resorts but stayed in town so we were free to wander. He met lots of kids at rec centre and was out on the town a couple of nights with no problems. <BR>We enjoyed the diving and trying different restaurants. <BR>Took my 17 yr old daughter and her friend back in april. We were at an all inclusive. To tame for my son I would think as he likes to explore and meet people but my daughter loved it. Absolutely no drugs offered. The girls were always attended by activities staff and loved the attention. <BR>So depends on your child. Are they the adventurous love new people and places have to see everything type or the resort planned entertainment as close to home as possible type. good luck peace rita

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Mary

Thanks for the great input!