St. Lucia vs. Big Island, Hawaii

Mar 20th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Beth

St. Lucia vs. Big Island, Hawaii

Hi - just got back from a week on the Big Island in Hawaii (Mauna Lani Bay Resort). We are taking our honeymoon in June at the Jalousie Resort in St. Lucia.

Wondering if anyone has been to both hotels or areas and can comments on differences, etc. What is better, what to expect. We hear that the terrain is much the same in both areas and are just trying to prepare for our next trip!

Thanks!!

Mar 21st, 2000, 05:36 AM
Mike

You MUST be joking!! St. Lucia after Hawaii? Don't be a damn FOOL -- unless you like lots of poverty, crime, bad roads, etc., etc.!! You'd be better off going to The Manele Bay Resort on Lanai or any other 5-star resort on either Maui or Kauai!!!

Mar 21st, 2000, 11:51 AM
lisa

Hi Beth. We adored St. Lucia and I would largely disregard the above poster's comments regarding crime and poverty. Yes it is true that average per capita income is lower on St. Lucia than it is in the U.S. but that is true of almost everywhere in the Caribbean. If you only travel to places that are as wealthy as the U.S. you could hardly go abroad at all. We had no problems with crime and the St. Lucians we met were lovely. Their homes are small and modest but they are painted in pretty, bright colors and well-cared for, many with small gardens or livestock grazing outside. The scenery on the island is beautiful.

We stayed at Ladera which is about 10 minutes from Jalousie. It is absolutely gorgeous in that area of St. Lucia (less so in the north near Castries around many of the larger resorts and where cruise ships dock). Mountainous, lush, green, with lots of waterfalls in the area and gorgeous tropical plants and flowers. Make sure you go to the botanical gardens in Soufriere, and for the best view (and terrific food) make sure you eat lunch or dinner one day at Dasheene at Ladera (make sure you get there before dark though or you won't appreciate the view). Also, take a daytrip hiking in the rainforest with a local guide if you get the opportunity.

The beach at Jalousie Hilton is gorgeous -- white sand (imported since the natural sand on the island is darker volcanic sand) with emerald green water. There is a very nice pool and restaurant on the beach, and the service is excellent. Make sure you try the snorkeling at Anse Chastanet though; it's a short water taxi ride from the Hilton and the snorkeling there is superior.

Unfortunately while I can tell you a lot about our experience on St. Lucia, I can't compare it to Hawaii -- I'm planning my first trip there for this October though (Maui and Kauai).

It is true that the roads are bad in St. Lucia but we loved pretty much everything else about it. Have a great time!

Mar 21st, 2000, 05:17 PM
Tiff

listen to Mike. I have been to both islands. There is no comparsion!

Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:10 AM
Beth

Mike,
Have you ever been to the Big Island? Kona, specifically? While our resort was BEAUTIFUL and lush, the area of Kona istelf is not. The other side of the island is... but not where we were. Where we were, it was all volcanic rock, very black and brown...

From what I gather, the Soufriere region of St. Lucia is exactly what I am looking for -- green, tropical, bright flowers, waterfalls, etc.

Thank you Lisa - I'm sure we'll havea great time!

Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:18 AM
lisa

Beth: Please post a trip report when you get back with your impressions and how it compares to Hawaii. I'd be very interested to hear how you liked it. I have a feeling it's probably apples & oranges...each with different assets, not better or worse, just different.

Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:39 PM
teri

Beth, I agree with Lisa. St Lucia on the Soufrieie side of the island is absolutly beautiful. I have been to both Maui and Kaui. Both beautiful islands but Maui has become very commercialized and when you go to St. Lucia you really feel like you are away from everything. We stayed at a resort called Anse Chastanet and loved it. Yes the island is much poorer than The United States, but not as poor as Jamacia. I think people forget when they go to a caribbean island that they are no longer in the United States (not that we dont have some poverty of our own). We had a room that was wide open to the beautiful surroundings and felt completly safe. The people are wonderful and the island is gorgeous. You will love it!

Mar 22nd, 2000, 09:18 PM
Mike

Beth, believe it or not I actually agree with you! Yes, I have stayed on the Big Island -- at both the Mauna Lani Bay Resort and the Hyatt Regency Waikoloa (which is now a Hilton). I didn't care much for the Waikoloa but the Mauna Lani was terrific! However, I must admit that the Big Island is NOT my favorite either, exactly for the reasons you mentioned: The resorts are all on the Kona/Kohala Coast side which is the dry side of the island, not particularly lush at all, while the other side of the island is gorgeous and beautiful (I would still say that 3/4 of the island is quite lush while 1/4 is not, which isn't bad at all)! Of course, many people disagree with ME about that as well and seem to find all of that "volcanic rock" very beautiful -- but I do not! I prefer lush and green as well! But still, if one wants to pay the price, you will find that ALL of the 5-star resorts on the "dry" side of the island are really quite beautiful in comparison to anything in the Caribbean, in MY opinion! However, I still think you would be better off going to either Kauai or Maui, or even Oahu (I'll still even take Waikiki over much of what is offered in the Caribbean, although you CAN still find plenty of privacy at either the Kahala Mandarin Oriental or the Ihilani Resort and Spa on opposite sides of the island, and they're both GREAT resorts)! You sound like you are quite used to all of the poverty found in the Caribbean, so in that regard if that's what you prefer, I'm sure you will LOVE St. Lucia!!

Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:13 AM
Beth

Well, everything's already been booked and we leave in 9 weeks... so I'll let you know what I think when I get back!

Thanks for your honesty Mike. I'm not "used to poverty" - but it doesn't scare me. Not every country is wealthy. I don't want to live in a bubble. If I did, I wouldn't go ANYWHERE!

Mauna Lani Bay in Hawaii was beautiful. But I haven't heard a bad thing about the Jalousie either! (And based on the prices, I'm sure it's just as nice!)

Mar 23rd, 2000, 01:47 PM
wanda

Been to both and they are different. The native Hawaiians hate us. The crime rate is high. And everything is expensive. The water and beaches are nice. In St Lucia, esp over on the side you'll be at there's a lot to see and do. It's lush and the people are friendly. Very little crime. Check out Ladera..it's the top resort. Hilton is nice. Hope they got the beach replenished. Most of it washed away with the Nov hurricane (so did front street in Soufriere). Don't worry about the roads...you are suicidal if you drive. Hire a taxi and let them handle it. The best taxi is Ben's. They are totally reliable, clean, polite, and reasonable. I would go back to both Hawaii and St Lucia but my husband will only go to St Lucia because of the commercial mess in Hawaii. The resorts on the north shore are nice but the water is ice cold and it's windy. If you do go to Hawaii fly over to Kauai for the day. Take a helicopter tour. It's the best money you'll spend.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:24 PM
Mike

Alright, Beth, I'll be looking forward to your report upon your return, good or bad! I must admit, the Hilton at least LOOKS very interesting situated between the Pitons the way it is!