Search

St. Lucia? St. Johns?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Lucia? St. Johns?

Trying to plan a much-needed family vacation. Our previous favorite beach destination is Wailea, Maui (pre-kids) but it is getting out of our price range. What are best options for family in Caribbean? We must be right on the beach & need a pool. We would also like a bit of room to spread out - (2 rooms at a minimum, a suite or condo set up would be great). Also, must be in a safe area. Children are 4, 5 & 7.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:06 AM

St.Lucia would be a great choice....
I call it our little Hawaii. Beautiful green lush vegation andthe island is very safe.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
leavingsoon

There is nothing like you describe on St.John. The Westin's beach pales in comparison the those on the rest of the island.

I agree that St. Lucia seems very "Hawaii-like" in appearance, but I do not Wailea very Hawaii-like.

The Windjammer Landing (I think) is popular with kids.

Have you thought about the Mayan Riviera...very calm waters, newer properties, least expensive of the options so far.

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM

Hi Jen9,
Look into Nevis. Although I haven't been, the pictures I've seen of it remind me a lot of Maui (I've been to Maui). Look into the Four Seasons Nevis. I hear great reviews of it and have actually contemplated going ourselves. The poster “Nevesian” on this board should be able to answer any questions you may have.
www.fourseasons.com/nevis

St. Lucia is beautiful, but is more like a mini Kauai. (we’ve been to both). It’s much more lush and the southern end is more remote than Maui. The closest hotel I can think of on St. Lucia that would meet your requirements is Jalousie on the southern shore, nestled between the pitons. It is really beautiful.
www.thejalousieplantation.com

If you don’t mind cooking, one option would be to look into villa rentals. There are tons of options throughout the Caribbean. We’ve actually turned to only renting villas in the past few years-we like it much better than hotels for a number of reasons. Much more private, cheaper, more options, great when you have kids. There are a bunch of sites you can go to do look up houses. Some that we’ve used are:
Www.vilascaribe.com
Www.caribbeanway.com

Good luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Sorry-should be: www.villascaribe.com

Also, if you go on off season (May-October) you should be able to pay roughly 1/2 the price for any Caribbean accomodations. We usually travel then and haven't had any problems with hurricanes-just get trip insurance.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
leavingsoon

Hi kellybeaches- Wouldn't you think that since she likes Maui (wich I consider super crowded at Wailea) she wouldn;t like the remote part of St. Lucia where Jalousie is? Also there are really no kiddie food options there.

I think she'd like the part of St. Lucia that is more developed and that's why I thought Windjammer.

I just don;t see Jalousie as much of a family place- more of a romantic place...

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Hm, yes, Jalousie is more remote, but it’s a gorgeous location. I haven’t been to Windjammer which is why I can’t suggest it, although I’ve heard good things about it. We did see kids at Jalousie when we visited, and they have the pool by the beach and villas which is why that came to mind. Overall though, I think St. Lucia might be too remote in comparison to Maui, but just thought I’d throw it out there Nevis’s topography really reminds me a lot of Maui, with the big volcano in the middle of the island.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM
leavingsoon

We didn;t stay there either (Windjammer), but every time I looked up a review it was all about kids this and kids that.

I thought that side of the island seemed more touristy, though.

Haven;t been to nevis, sounds nice.

Why does Grand Cayman strike me as being maybe a choice here? The Ritz Carlton?

Also, haven't been,just asking so maybe Jen9 will look into it...