Reload this Page >

St. Lucia - North vs. South

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:45 AM
flipper

My fiance and I are searching for a place to go to for our honeymoon next May. We met with a travel agent and he suggested going to St. Lucia. He also suggested staying at the north end (Windjammer Landing Resort) and to take day trips to the south. From reading the posts here, it looks like everyone suggests staying in the south. I've only seen one thread mention the Windjammer. Could someone help me out with the differences between the northern end and southern end? Also, he suggested staying at the Jalousie if we do want to stay down south. But all the posts here are gushing about Ladera and Anse Chastanet. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks!

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 09:55 AM
Lara

Depends on what you are looking for in your vacation. I prefer north (although much further drive) because of the better selection of restaurants and nicer/safer neighborhoods on the north side. <BR> <BR>We did a drive through Windjammer, and it was pretty. Downside is you need to shuttle to beach depending on what house you are in and lots of families. <BR> <BR>We never considered Ladera because it's not beachfront. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your planning.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 10:03 AM
Kay

Dear Flipper: <BR> <BR>maybe I can help you out. I went on my honeymoon to St. Lucia in June and stayed 5 nights at Ladera in the southern part of the island and then went up north to say 3 nights at the Hyatt. <BR> <BR>The southern part of the island is the most lush and "south pacific" looking with steep high mountains and rain forests. This area is quiet and remote and is where the piton mountains, rain forests and best diving and snorkeling is located. This is where the most stunning beauty is on the island. The north part of the island is not ugly at all but much less dramatic in it's natural beauty. This part of the island is where you find most of the hotels on the island and where the "action" so to speak is located. Here is whre there are many restuarants, shoping, water sports, etc. Casteries the capital is locatedf here and where most of the population of the island is located. In teh morth the main natural attraction is Pigeon Island and Rodney Bay. <BR> <BR>In the South I stayed at Ladera which I loved but the Hilton is very very nice too. In the north the Hyatt is great as is Windjammer Landing which I heard people raving about when I was there. <BR> <BR>If you want a little varity I would sugggest afew days at each end of the island. <BR> <BR>If you ahve any questions just let me know. <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 12:12 PM
lisa

I agree with Kay. The south is much prettier in my opinion -- more dramatic, mountainous, and lush. It also has fewer large resorts than the north so it feels a lot less touristy to me. If you want a bit of both you can split your time (e.g. 5 days in the north & 5 in the south). <BR> <BR>We loved Ladera and wouldn't have traded our time there for anything, but if you want a more traditionally American-style luxury resort experience (TVs, air conditioning, tennis courts, etc.), Jalousie looked beautiful. We spent several days on the beach there and it was lovely, although we didn't see the rooms. Anse Chastanet was nice too and had better snorkeling than Jalousie, but the sand was darker volcanic (natural) sand unlike the imported white sand at Jalousie. Jalousie is huge, Anse Chastanet is small, and Ladera is smallest. We loved Ladera but it is not for everyone. Rooms are open air with private plunge pools and incredible views of the Caribbean and the Piton peaks. However, if you want beachfront, then Ladera is not for you -- it's about 15 minutes from the beaches at Anse Chastanet and Jalousie. Also, if you want TVs and air conditioning and tennis courts, then Ladera and Anse Chastanet are not for you. In addition, Anse Chastanet has no pool, while Ladera and Jalousie do. All three have good restaurants. It just depends on what you're looking for. Check out the websites www.jalousie-hilton.com, www.ansechastanet.com, and www.ladera-resort.com. Sorry I can't help you with Windjammer. You can find a lot more reviews & opinions of various St. Lucia resorts at http://caribtravelnews.com/slu.htm

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 02:37 PM
Tracey

The Windjammer looked very nice. If you do decide to stay in the north, I would also consider looking at the Wyndham Morgan bay. My husband & I went there this past June for our honeymoon & had a wonderful time. The resort was lovely & beach-front. I can give you more details if you're interested...

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 10:13 AM
flipper

thanks for all your responses. the south seems like the place for us. the "south pacific" feel is what we're looking for. one of our choices for a honeymoon destination is tahiti but it's 12 1/2 hours away from us. that's why we're looking for a closer place. <BR> <BR>the jalousie hilton seems like a nice place. although i've heard great things about ladera, the open air rooms are not too appealing to us. the view looks great but we don't feel like dealing with the bugs, frogs, and other things that can fly in the room. <BR> <BR>we're not exactly party animals so nightlife is not too important to us. we'd like a place where we can relax and enjoy our surroundings. <BR> <BR>any more details would be greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Sandra

Hi, <BR> <BR>I was in St. Lucia for my honeymoon in July and we didn't stay at the Hilton but we spoke with someone who went there for dinner one night. They told us that the hotel was beautiful but that the staff and the ambiance was very snobbish. They felt uncomfortable being there and said they were glad they decided not to stay there. I just thought it was something you might want to look into.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 01:44 PM
caribbean frequenter

We went to Jalousie before it became a Hilton-from my understanding it can only get better. We are beach people,the white sand was imported because after huricane Luis the beach was very rocky. This is a big improvement. We had a beautiful suite,between the Pitons. I do not feel this hotel is typical American-it is beautiful and was designed to fit into its ,surroundings. It was built by Lord Conner who was involved with the beautiful island of Mustique.The Spa is terrific.If you want to sit by the pool it is spectacular,a huge pool,near the beach,as you look out at the tropical swaying palms. <BR>We had dinner at Ladera,the food was very good. We bumped into a couple we met on the plane and they did not like the open rooms,they had some little fury animal running around one night. <BR>I am surprised as I read this board how many people love Ladera,And Anse Chastanet. Jalousie is wonderful- a friend of mine stayed there last year and did not want to leave. <BR>St. Lucia is vey lush,it has very windy roads,and the trip from the airport did get my stomach upset, so bring some tums if you are prone to car sickness.The trip to Castries is much longer-many people take a helicopter. <BR>It is a very interesting island,go to Jalousie you will not be disappointed.,or as another poster said go to both ends of the island. <BR>