St.Lucia honeymoon - help!

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Debbie

St.Lucia honeymoon - help!

We're looking for good suggestions for honeymooning in the Soufriere area in May. I've been reading the comments and it seems Ladera and AC have lots of fans, but I haven't heard much about Jalousie. Also, has anyone ever stayed at The Hummingbird? We must book by the end of the month and we're having a hard time making the decision. Help!

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Leah

Debbie, My husband and I just returned from two weeks at Ladera. Pure magic and shear heaven. The Jalousie was also magical, although I didn't see the rooms and it was much, much more Americanized. Anse Chastanet - great beach, great food, great snorkeling, but the rooms were a heck of a climb up very steep stairs (not for the faint of heart and I'm in decent shape), plus the rooms were different than I expected, smaller and not as private.

Ladera was perfect. There were a few minor flaws, the staff had to be reminded of a few things, but they were so friendly and warm you couldn't be upset. The restaurant was great, not as pricey as I had expected from the info on the net. The views were magical and breakfast at Ladera is like being in some sort of fantasy (especially the first morning). The birds dine with you. The sunsets are magestic and I come from Phoenix where the sunsets are extremely colorful. The rooms were incredible - fresh flowers every day, the plunge pool we had (we were upgraded to a Deluxe one bedroom suite) had a waterfall and was supposed to be heated - it wasn't, but cold water is good for reviving after a long day of play.

The town of Soufriere is really neat, but very poor. A lot of rasta's that are panhandling for anything they can get. Most seemed harmless and the kids were cute. A lot of times we were the only tourists in town, but people were so friendly once they receive a smile. I would say that if you want to see the island away from the other tourists as we did, it's the best way to go. We met a man named Francis Leon who has a little fishing boat called the Decision and hired him to take us to different spots - he knew some neat private spots to snorkle. I must say if you see his boat about, he's a great guide! I also would say that the Hummingbird did not look so great to me. The beach looked very small and it was shared with the town of Soufriere - maybe not where you want to spend your whole day. It was nice to get back to Ladera in the evening. A couple of times we wished we had stayed at Jalousie for the beach access, but I wouldn't trade Ladera for anything.

Good luck in your decision and please feel free to e-mail me (as you can tell I am delighted to talk about our trip!).

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:24 AM
teri

I have to disagree with the previous message. I stayed at Anse Chastanet and yes you do have to climb stairs to get to the room but its worth it. Our room was far from being small. Our room was huge and very open but very private. They have several different types of rooms at AC. Perhaps the author of the previous message only saw the standard hillside rooms and not the Premium or Deluxe hillside rooms at AC. They are outstanding!!!! Our shower had a tree in it and it felt like you were showering outdoors. It was extreamly private and extreamly beautiful with incredible views of the Pitons and the Ocean. Flowers everywhere, birds everywhere. Ive heard many wonderful things about Ladera but I wanted to be close to the beach and the idea of catching a bus everyday to visit the beach especially on those roads wouldnt thrill me. Its just a matter of choice. I didnt mind the stairs at AC it added to the whole romantic adventure and I loved being able to walk on the beach, snorkel, hike the plantation area and then go back to my room any time I wanted and not have to wait for a bus. Check out both web sites www.ansechastanet.com or www.ladera.com. Both are excellent resorts with a lot to offer.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Kay

Hi Debbie:

Maybe I can help you out a little bit. I am also a part-time travel agent specializing in the caribbean. So I am going on my honeymoon on June and I decied on 5 nights at Ladera in a deluxe one bedroom and then three nights at the new Hyatt St. Luica. Hands down for roamnce and atmosphere the best hotels on the island are: Ladera, Anse Chastanet and Jalouise.

My best friend got married and spent her honeymoon at Jalouise and just loved it. They got a 1 bedroom suite with plunge pool. Their room number was 904 and it had the best view of the pitons and the Caribbean. they thought the staff and grounds were beautiful and loved thier room. Now at Ladera if you decide to stay there and decide on a one bedroom deluxe request suite S as it is been told to me that it is the most romantic one there. We are staying at ladera for romance and atmosphere and then at the Hyatt for luxury for a few days. If you ahve any questions just e-mail me.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Beth

Debbie,

My husband and I honeymooned at Le Sport on the very NW coast. We loved it.
The beach was great, food was excellent and was very romantic. The spa stuff was neat too. Lots of Brits and French folks with afternoon tea which we like since we can't stand running into hordes of loud Americans. Staff was great too.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 11:55 AM
debbie

Thank you all so much for your replies. We have decided to go to Ladera for 9 nights in May...we thought about splitting our time between north and south, but felt we could cover the island with tours and sightseeing. we booked a deluxe 1br with a heated plunge pool. I have a new questions now...has anyone been to the Jazz festival in years past? I didn't know about it, but we will be there at the same time. Is it hard to get from Soufriere to Castries and back again at night? Are there taxis? Let me know!

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Nicole

Debbie-
I don't know if you booked yet, but the I stayed at the Jalouise in February of '97, and it was the most amazing trip of my life as far as scenery, atmosphere, and felt pampered all 7 days I was there. I had a suite with a plunge pool, and let me tell you, all the rooms have a fabulous view. The service at the hotel was amazing, and the food was excellent.. Also, let me note, I read in a magazine that this hotel was rated the second best hotel in all of the Caribbean, and it's worth it. If I hadn't already been there, I would go for my honeymoon, I would highly recommend it, and nestled in the Pitons where the Jalouise is, there is no more perfect way to spend your honeymoon. It is a very lush area, and the pools and the tennis courts and the spa are amazing. I had the best massage of my life there, I fell asleep! If you want to, feel free to email me.. having stayed there and loved it, I would have to say that no other hotel compares to it on the island.. Your own reef, your own beach, nestled between the pitons, little vans driving you to your private suite (which was of very nice size) and your own plunge pool, it was spectacular.

-Nicole

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 02:18 PM
JEFF

I also don't know if you booked yet but I stayed 10 days for my honeymoon on St. Lucia. I stayed in a suite room at Sandals. I enjoyed not worrying about anything. Everything was provided. Bar was stocked every day in your room (included). Little conveniences were nice too (airconditioning could be adjusted to exact temperature; cable tv with many stations including WNBC--a little bit of home). The french restaurant was amazing. We then spent three days at the Jalousie with a private plunge pool. It was great. The Jalousie had just been renovated and wasn't able to do much research on it. Look to consierge.com which rates both properties very high. Have fun.