St. Kitts - Where to stay?

Oct 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

St. Kitts - Where to stay?

Calling on St. Kitts experts...
We're considering the possibility of swinging by St. Kitts for a couple of days in December since we'll be closeby in Antigua. A couple of questions:
1) Is Caribbean Star pretty reliable?
2) Looking for recommendation on a place to stay for 2 nights. We don't like big resorts and prefer smaller places. Just looking for safe and clean room with friendly staff. Possible for less than $200/night?
3) Any decent place to spend a night not too far from the airport?

We're thinking of flying to St. Kitts, spending the night, then hopping to Antigua via Caribbean Star. Then coming back to St.Kitts for 2 nights before heading home.

I'm trying to look through trip reports but looks like most folks head to Nevis or stay at the Marriott. Would really prefer to avoid the big Marriott.
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Most of the resorts in the Frigate Bay area are within a 10-minute drive to the airport. And despite what you have read, many people go to St. Kitts and stay there and not just the Marriott. There are some very nice small hotels. I like Ocean Terrace Inn or Frigate Bay Resort, both are small and reasonable.
I am flown Caribbean Star once and had no problems, but this is the Caribbean and it is a small regional airline so you have to be prepared for delays.
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:20 PM

To answer your questions -
1) Caribbean Star is no different than any other Caribbean comuter airline. They have their good days and their bad days. Which one will show up on the day you travel is anyone's guess. Be prepared for some delays and if you don't encounter them consider yourself fortunate. The only reason any Caribbean island hopper publishes a schedule is so you'll know when there is a delay. You might also check LIAT (www.liatairline.com) or Winair (www.fly-winair.com) to see if their scedules and/or fares might better suit your needs. But here again there's not much difference in reliability and on-time performance with either of these carriers.

2 & 3) Same answer, for places to stay check out Ocean Terrace Inn or Bird Rock Hotel. Both are reasonably priced and are less than a 7 to 10 minute drive from the airport.
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM

We stayed at Timothy Beach resort this past January. A little bit dated, but we were very happy there. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, nice beach, fun bars close by. If I go back to St. Kitts, that's where I'd probably stay again.
Oct 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Don't know what you mean by "most people" but I have been to St. Kitts a few times and I think it is a great place. I like Frigate Bay Resort because it is in a good location. The driving is very easy (but it is UK style), or you can take taxis. I am surprised that you have to get to Antigua via St. Kitts. Seems a shame to break up your trip that way.
Oct 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all your replies. Will look into these resorts.

I'm just trying to do a different route since we'll be in the area anyways, figured why not see if we can check out St. Kitts and see if that's somewhere we would like to go back for a longer stay. This will be our 3rd time in Antigua and it's a quick trip.
Oct 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM

mymoosie, when in December are you going? You might be able to get an Ottley's room for right around $200 before the rates change if you negotiate with them directly. It's not near the airport but it would be a lovely place to stay.

Where do you stay in Antigua? It's one of the places my husband and I keep returning to because of our happy memories there.
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM

We stayed at Ocean Terrace Inn. I don't think you can go wrong at this resort. The rooms are comfortable and nicely renovated (most of them I think). The grounds are also quite pretty with a fantasy pool with waterfall and nice gardens. Not an extensive resort by any means but has the basics and is within walking distance to the ferry dock should you wish to take a quick boat ride over to Nevis. Doesn't take too long to get there and reasonably priced. If memory serves me, the schedule going over is quite flexible.
In all honesty, we weren't totally in love with St. Kitts but we wanted to try a different Island and we appreciate each one for their own beauty. We liked our half a day in Nevis, better for beaches than St. Kitts. We love Antigua and would go back in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I just snagged FF AA tickets to SKB for 25k ea. Whooopie!

So the plan right now is to head down to St. Kitts on Dec 8th and spend the night there. Then catch Caribbean Star or Liat the next day to Antigua. Spend 5 nights in Antigua, then head back to St. Kitts on Dec 14th and spend 2 nights there before flying home.

Leaning towards OTI for the 1 night.

ejcrowe,
Thanks for the Ottley tip. I'll give them a call. I may splurge on the last 2 nights and stay there anyway. I read on one of the books there might be a resident cat or two on the grounds? That would of course cinch the deal for me. LOL.

We're staying at Antigua Village this time. The first time we stayed at the Rex which I would opt not to stay there again. The next time we rented a little studio apartment from Gilly Gobinet on Runaway Bay. We love Antigua, the people, the culture. We had not planned on going this year but I snagged a really inexpensive deal from skyauction and well, any place in the caribbean beats sitting at work with the heater on!

Where do you stay in Antigua?
And I'm trying to find your trip report for St. Kitts...
Oct 17th, 2006, 04:43 AM

mymoosie, that's great that you could use FF tickets! Sounds like you're in for a wonderful time.

On Antigua we stay at Long Bay Hotel, which is where my husband and I got married in 2003. It's friendly and comfortable and it feels like a homecoming whenever we go back. Before we discovered Long Bay, however, we did stay for a long weekend at Hawksbill. we got that package through Sky Auction and it was dirt cheap. we liked that place, but now it wouldn't feel right to stay any place but Long Bay on the island.

You'll have to wait for the end of November to search for my St. Kitts trip report, I'm afraid, as I've not actually gone there yet. My husband wanted to get away for Thanksgiving, somewhat last minute, without much of a budget. We tried to do a DIY vacation using FF miles but by the time I started looking there was no availability. We're able to go because of a package deal through AAVacations at the Sugar Bay Club on St. Kitts. It certainly wouldn't be our first choice (Ottley's would've been on that island), but we couldn't argue with the price and we really did want to escape one more time before the brunt of winter.
Oct 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM

Mymoosie:

I have been going to St. Kitts since I was a child. (My family is from there)

I highly recommend Ocean Terrace Inn (OTI). The staff are very friendly and helpful. It's not a huge resort so you get personalized service.

Rooms are lovely and the hotel is walking distance to Basseterre (the capital) and a short drive from the airport.

OTI has a complimentary shuttle to Turtle Beach where you can charge your meals and drinks to your room. www.turtlebeach1.com

Friday night is OTI's famous West Indian Buffet and live steel band show.

You can also book a rainforest tour with Greg's Safaris www.gregssafaris.com at their tour desk
or a kayak tour with Turtle Tours.

You will love St. Kitts. It is a beautiful, laid back island.

A website you might find helpful is www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com and www.myislands.myeyez.net

Ottley's Plantation is gorgeous! You are more secluded staying there but great for R&R. It's definitly worth the splurge.

Have a great time!