Reload this Page >

St. Johns vs. St. Thomas

Search

St. Johns vs. St. Thomas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 11:49 AM
jeff

St. Johns vs. St. Thomas

I have emailed some of you, but would greatly appreciate advice on where to stay. We will be leaving from Philly via Atlanta enroute to St. Thomas in mid November, '98. The fare was free as Delta owed us these from a prior bump. I have family of five (kids are male-13, female-11,7. Kids are active, good swimmers, never seen the Carribbean. We will be predominately using the beaches and likely learning to snorkel and some sightseeing. We are not big nightlifers and will likely retire in the hotel (villa, whatever) to some TV and bed reasonably early. <BR> <BR>We will have a eight day spread of time, with first and last day pretty much lost to travel, leaving us with six full days of sun and fun. I was ready to book in St. Thomas at Sapphire (a villa on the beachfront for five is quoted at $325 per day for seven nights), but having read so much about St. John I am not sure now. Which is the optimal destination and why. Which resorts make the most sense for us? Any advice in general is appreciated. Thanks very much. Myother email, for aol users, is [email protected].

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 09:34 AM
Lois

Jeffrey, I tried in vain to email you, you might still get it. <BR>My advice is to stay on St. John. My family of four have really enjoyed a stay we had at Gallows Point. Condo type facility with full kitchen, pool nearby, and quick walk to town for restaurants and beach taxis. The beachs on St John are breathtaking. St Thomas cannot compare. <BR>Also check into a resort on St John that was owned by Hyatt. I don't know who has it now. <BR>Caneel Bay is too stuffy for a family with kids. We are also a beach family from NJ, so we love St John. <BR>St Thomas is also nice, but I find it too congested. My most recent trips there were these past 2 springs, both times withour my sons. <BR>They prefer St John.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 04:15 PM
Amelia

Lois' advice is right on target. Gallows is centrally located and within walking distance of transportation to all the legendary St. John beaches <BR>like Trunk Bay (marked snorkel trail) and Cinnamon <BR>Bay. The pace in St. Thomas is frenetic because they host as many as five cruise ships a day. The old Hyatt is now a Westin, which I stayed at in April, 1998. It is alot bigger than Gallows and has the biggest and nicest pool in St. John. It has a beach which was built by Hyatt which is ok. It is a modern resort on a natural island. If you feel the need to visit St. Thomas there is plenty of ferry <BR>transportation to get you there quickly. I loved the day I spent at Magens Bay in St. Thomas.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 05:22 PM
jim

have been to usvi the last 3 years and took my family and sister last year. st john is much better suited to families. we rented a 4 bedroom house, there are many rentals available (email me if you need some contacts) . you can snorkel different beachs every day, the kids can go into cruz bay and you don't have to worry, nice restaurants etc. plan a day trip to "the baths" in bvi and a snorkeling trip the caves at norman island. you can always take the ferry back to st. thomas for a day trip <BR>

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 04:44 AM
David

My family and I just returned from our fourth trip to St. John and it's a great place for families. We have rented villas through Kathy DeMar of Vacation Homes for the last two years and she and her husband Dennis are the best. Kathy has been on St. John for 10 plus years and lives in an area where several great villas are located. I would be glad to send you her number. Lot's to do with kids. My five year old son did his first snorkeling this year and his highlight was swimming next to a Hawksbill turtle for about 10 minutes with my wife and I. <BR>Good luck with your trip. Send an e-mail if you need more info.

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 07:48 AM
Emily Connolly

Jeff, <BR> All of the above is great advice for you and your family. I have always loved St. Thomas and St. John ( and any warm island in winter!!) but my last few trips through St. Thomas have been disappointing because it gets so crowded. There are 5 ships in port on a QUIET day - during peak season there may be as many as 12 ships in St. Thomas harbor. You cannot walk downtown because the crowds are so large - the traffic is a very serious problem - a 15 minute ride now translates to 30 - 60 minutes depending on the amount of cruise passengers. Magen's Bay is beautiful, but not when you can't find a place to sit on the sand. <BR>St. John is a better choice - there are terrific hotels and villas, great snorkeling, and beautiful, peaceful beaches. Caneel Bay is not a place for kids - only us grown - ups who love it. However, bring the kids there for Sunday buffet, or dinner another day, so you can check the place out for you and your wife's special anniversary. <BR>When you are totally relaxed, at the end of your vacation, you can take the ferry to St. Thomas, for some shopping or touring. Pick the day with the least amount of cruise ships in port - the locals will know. Good luck <BR>