Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St John's and a possibly a second island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to book our family Easter vacation trip. I'm thinking about the Westin at St. Johns, but it's booked the last three days of our trip. Rather than just moving to a different hotel, what do you think about going to another island? We'd spend half in St. Johns and half - where? We have two kids (11, 13) and like to be fairly active. We haven't typically done All Inclusive since we like to venture about. What islands might be a good 'second spot' for us - and how do we get there?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
mjz

You might might to consider splitting your time between St. John and one of the other USVI's. St. Thomas is a simple and cheap 25 minute ferry ride away with a lot of fun things to do. St. Croix is another option, however, I believe you would have to take the ferry to St. Thomas and then either the high speed ferry or plane from St. Thomas to St. Croix. You should also consider any of the BVI's which are easily accessible from St. John via ferry. There are plenty of options, just take some time and research.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:03 AM
EJC

When going to St John, you must fly into St Thomas. From there you take the ferry, so it might be to your benefit to spend the last 3 days in St Thomas.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Hi There,

If it's booked the last three days I would also recommend staying for those days on St. Thomas. It will make your return airport experience easier also.

Personally, I've moved resorts in mid vacation and IMO it wastes an awful lot of time. I would rather stay at the same place, if possible, and do day trips out to other locations or islands. As has been said above, this is easy to do in the USVI/BVI.

Schultz
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Since the hotel I want to stay at doesn't have availability, do you recommend somewhere else? I don't really want to move hotels.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Have you considered renting a villa? We stayed in a beautiful 3 bedroom hillside villa about 10 minutes from town with an incredible view and hot tub for significantly less money than we would have paid at the Westin. There are hundreds of villas for rent on the island, many with private hot tubs or pools. I'm sure that the Westin is nice, but we loved having the privacy and view with our villa.

You should check the USVI Online website for more information about lodging options on St. John. You will find links to all of the villa rental companies as well as personal reviews and trip reports there.

http://www.usvi-on-line.com/sj/

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:26 PM

We are splitting our time between St. John and Virgin Gorda, but VG might be alittle too secluded for your group, it is the opposite of St. Thomas in that there are no cruise ships and no airport. But easily reached by ferry boat. Then you could fly out of Tortola.