Search

St. John, Windwardside Villa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John, Windwardside Villa

Hello All!

We visited St. John six years ago and stayed at Caneel Bay. This time we decided on renting a villa and were wondering if anyone has feedback on the Windwardside Villa rented out by Calabash Cottages. We plan on renting both the Guest House and Main House (friends will meet us there) and it looks great! We would love to hear reviews about the amenities and other tidbits that might make our stay there more enjoyable. Thanks,

Will and Amanda Leque
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I stayed there 2 yrs ago. It is a fantastic place, nicer than it looks on the website! Great views,super privacy, very cozy and very well maintained. Make sure you've rented a 4 wheel drive vehicle, the road to the villa can be adventurous. The only reason I haven't rented it again is that we prefer to have a pool which that villa does not have. Here's a link to a photo album (2004 trip) of mine that has some pics of our stay there.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jofus109

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them, just post a reply.

jofus
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

jofus,

Thanks for the reply. The pictures were great! Just wondering, what is the drive time to Coral Bay, Trunk Bay, and Cruz Bay from Windwardside? How were the bugs? Do we need to bring stuff to combat them?

Thanks.

Maine2USVI
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM

The condition of the road to the villa can affect your drive time (rain washout can make that road challenging) but Coral Bay 5-7 min, Trunk Bay 17-20 min and Cruz Bay 20-25. I don't recall bugs being a problem but we didn't get any rain on that trip where as last year at a different hillside villa I got eaten alive but we had 2-3 days of good rain. I would definatley bring the bug repellant. Just an FYI don't leave any food out for any length of time. An army of miniscule red ants will invade. That's just part of the environment unless your're in an AC climate controlled villa.

jofus
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Great advice with the ants and thanks for the estimates on drive times. Appreciate the great feedback.

Maine2USVI
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Calabash Cottages is right up the hill from us. It is a wonderful part of the island where you will feel away from it all but still within minutes of conveniences. You'll be overlooking the Johnson Bay part of Coral Bay. On Saturdays at 10 am, kids as young as 7 years old are out in the bay each commandeering their own little sailboat. We love watching that.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we'll have to check that out.