Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. John - where to snorkel, where to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 12:50 PM
Marianna

I will be travelling to St. John in May. Would love suggestions on where to snorkel, also, where can I rent equipment for the week? We will be renting a Jeep so will have access to the whole island. Also, is anyone familiar with the hiking trails on the island? Are they clearly marked? Any suggestions for a good 1.5 hour hike? Last question........we love to eat, where are the hot spots?? Thanks for your advice.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 02:21 PM
Pat VandenHeuvel

Great dinner spot in St. John is Asolare, perched cliffside overlooking the harbor. You can dine inside this old estate or better yet, arrive early and get an open air table overlooking the harbor below. Food is some of the best we have had. Much better than what you get at the pricey resorts. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 03:40 PM
Cassie

Was just there in January and went snorkeling at Trunk Bay. Has a marked underwater trail which is neat. Pretty beach, nice snorkeling particularly for beginners. The cruise ship tours generally are gone by noon, but even with a couple of ships at St Thomas, it still wasn't too crowded.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 04:30 PM
joel

Hello Marianna, <BR>I know you'll enjoy your vacation. St. John is a lovely island. My wife and I became engaged in St. Thomas, were later married there, and have been to the British Virgin Islands (part of the same chain) 5 times. <BR>As to your equipment, most hotels/resorts provide what you'll need gratis. You might give them a call before shelling out $$. <BR>Now this is a really good suggestion I'm going to give you, if I say so myself, a real jewel and I hope you take me up on it. It will involve one day of your time there and I guarantee it will be one of your most memorable. Catch the ferry from Cruz Bay, St. John to Road Town, British Virgin Islands. It's about 30 min and probably costs $30 each. Within walking distance of the ferry in Road Town is the catamaran Patouche II run by an American lady (a nurse) and a French Canadian. Frenchie is the captain and Claudia is the guide, entertainer, chef, barwoman, and all-around nautical expert. They will take you out on your choice of a full-day or half-day cruise to quiet bays on uninhabited islands (the BVI islands are mainly small and uninhabited) where the snorkling is way, way better than Trunk Bay which has been touristed to death. You'll get good on board food and 2-3 snorkling sites. You'll sail from site to site. We've been out with them 4 times. Claudia is very lovable and I've seen her help non-swimmers have a great time. Runs something like $60/person. Do it! Write if I can give you more info. <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 04:34 PM
joel

Forgot to mention. You'll need at least a driver's license to get into the BVI. It's a foreign country! Very friendly. In fact, a heck of a lot friendlier than anywhere in the USA. A passport will work best. Write me if you have questions. Have a great vacation. We'll be on Virgin Gorda (part of the BVI) in May, also. <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 06:00 PM
jim

we will be making our 4th trip to St John. this June you can rent equiptment at Cruz Bay water sports in Cruz Bay. any of the bays from hawks nest around to salt pond have goog snorkeling ,although I agree Trunk Bay is less enjoylable. Be sure and check out Watermelon Cay. <BR>Good food always at Morgans Mango and the Fishtrap and the Lime Inn. Also if you can check out the caves at Norman Island BVI we rented a boat for the day to get there. E-mail if you have any questions. <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 01:34 PM
Patrick

I thought all the previous suggestions were excelent but I would add Cafe Roma for Italian and Joe's Barbecue for great barbecue at rock bottom prices.Honeymoon Beach at Caneel(public) has the most angelfish I have ever seen- on the left side facing the water.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 06:00 AM
Dana

Hi Marianna, was in St. John last January, Great place, I'm a little jealous. For snorkeling, watermelon cove is pretty good, water was a little choppy the day I was there, But there is no shortage of snorkeling sites. But if there is one thing you must do, take a sailboat ride to BVI and snorkel (or scuba if your rated) off the boat. If that is something you enjoy, I hope you will treasure the memory as I do. Have fun!

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 12:28 PM
Karen

you might want to try some or all of the following: Chateaux Bordeaux (on Bordeaux Mt)... do the sunset ... will knock your sandals off ... Asolare ... Sarafina's ... Heard good things about Dining with Andre at Chilly Billy's but did not get to try it yet ... When jeeping about, check out Vie's for lunch and her "private" beach ... It's Waterlemon, not Watermelon, Cay. Nat'l Park Service is a good source for maps and hiking guides, hints ...