Reload this Page >

St. John Westin vs. Wyndham St. Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 11:00 AM
jeff

My wife and I (along with our 1 1/2 year old baby)are planning a trip to the USVI and have a choice of these two hotels. I've read all the comments on both from many many people. I'm looking to find out what folks' opinions may be in terms of which of these resorts would be best for our circumstances. I'm leaning toward the Wyndham all-inclusive because it seems like it would be "easier" to deal with, though I think I like the looks of the westin better. Help????

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 04:51 PM
Lorraine

We stayed at the Westin last year and loved it. The rooms were beautiful. They have a great pool and found everything to be very conveniently located. We flew into St Thomas and I am so glad we did not stay there. The island was not nearly as nice as St John was however if you are planning to stay in the hotel on St Thomas you should be okay.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 03:47 AM
Karen

My concern with the Westin is the very small rooms and adding a toddler and all the equip that goes along with him/her. The rooms are very small, sealed tite with very tiny balconies and I can't imagine being squeezed in so tightly - we were with two adults, adding a toddler would make it impossible! There are lots of steps up and down to the community center, the pool and the rooms ... but not a bad walk just a long one for a beachfront property! Of course, you would have the same at Sugar Bay! You might want to explore some of the villa/condo "resorts" that would give you and the toddler more room and have the option of staying on a beach! The Westin's beach is at the bottom of the list of the beaches on St. John so you will need to rent a jeep or taxi to really enjoy the "beach" experience on St. John if that is what you are looking for!!!

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 11:53 AM
Jeff

Thanks for the replies. But we are not interested in staying in a condo or villa because we want the convenience of hotel life. food on site if we need it, lots of facilities. We'd rather choose someplace that we don't HAVE to leave on a regular basis and I understand the concern about the beach at the Westin...but unless it is downright disgusting...we can live with it. With the toddler, we are only in the sun for short periods of time and would take advantage somewhat of other beaches on st. john for a day or two of the trip. Given all that background and assuming there are only two choices in my world -- the westin st. john and the wyndham st. thomas, whatya think?

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 03:51 PM
Parrot Mom

There are the infamous steps to the pool at the Wyndom too, about 100, but there is a jitney from the main building that takes you around...St. Thomas is not my favorite spot and I think that St. John would be a nicer resort.. Oh yes, the rooms at the Wyndom are huge...with a balcony

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:21 PM
Len

Hi, Jeff. We were at Wyndham St. Thomas last February. The resort is spectacular...however not much doing in St. Thomas unless you want to buy a lot of jewelry. Wife and I enjoyed Wyndham. If you go be sure and take the ferry to St. John's, lovely, serene, tranquil. Great beaches. <BR> <BR>If you want to see my pictures of the Wyndham, go to my site on the internet www.photopoint.com and where it says VIEW A MEMBERS ALBUM type in my email address [email protected] then scroll down to my album on St. Thoams, click on it, and by the magic of cyberspace you'll be able to get my vision of the Wyndham. At least it will give you and idae of what's in store for you. <BR> <BR>While at PhotoPoint, be my guest and check out my other recent vacation sites.....just back 3 weeks from Dominican Republic' Casa Del Mar...the most beautiful beach I've ever had the pleasure of sharing. <BR> <BR>If you go to PhotoPoint, sign my guest book and let me knwo what you think of St. Thomas. <BR> <BR>len

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 08:10 AM
Keith's Nan

After eating at the Westin on day 1 you will be leaving for better. Not only is it not good - its expensive. There is so much to experience on St.John for restaurants, you will be missing the boat here and at 18 months the child will be accepted at most places. In any event pick StJ over STT. There is shade at most the beaches, just keeping the little one still could be a problem. Make sure you have plenty of sunscreen for all.

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Maria

Jeff we just got back from a one week stay at the Westin and loved it! We did not travel with children, but there were plenty of families there with children of all ages from infants to pre-teens. I don't know why everyone puts down the beach at the Westin. We found it to be very nice and larger that we expected. It certainly does not begin to compare to St. Johns other beachs, but it certainly isn't a reason not to stay at the Westin. Our first night there, we had dinner at the Westin's Cocoloba rstr. The food was great and the service was excellent. We had a couple of lunchs at the Westin that were also good. We spent the better part of our stay visiting some of the fine restaurants on St. John. We would start our day by going into town for breakfast at Chilly Billy's. Good food and much cheaper than breakfast at the hotel. There isn't any night life really (didn't miss it), but there is plenty to see and do. Visiting there spectacular beachs is a vacation in it self. I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose the Westin. We weren't and are planning to return next year. Have a great trip!