St John Westin: question about snorkeling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any snorkeling at all off the (man-made?) beach at the Westin? I assume the snorkeling isn't good, since it's never mentioned, but I'm wondering if it exists to any degree at all. (Obviously, there will be fish in the water, but I mean beyond that.)
I ask because we'll be staying at Gallows Point, and I'm wondering if that might be a pleasant place to have lunch and spend an afternoon. Not interested unless there's decent snorkeling. (By the way, if one has lunch there, is it ok to use the pool-- or only if one is a guest?)
Thanks for info.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 08:02 AM

You'll have to visit other beaches for your snorkeling "fix".
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
IMO A great place to have lunch(somewhat pricy, but very good) is Caneel Bay.

When you get to the gate, just tell them you came for lunch and a little beach time.

You can only use their main beach, but the snorkelling to the right, as you look at the water,is very, very good. No pool though.

They'll tell you not to use the chairs, but we did to no complaint.

And, of course, Trunk Bay is outstanding for snorkelling and has shower facilities, etc. They have a restaurant for more casual hamburgers, fish sandwiches, etc.

The beach at the Westin is not so good for snorkelling or hanging out, it,s small and crowded with boats, toys, etc.

If you have a car, there are so many good snorkelling spots on St. John it's hard to choose.

If you don't have a car, you can take the "Jungle Bus" from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay, etc. All very easy.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, both. In fact, when we go to St John, we split our stay, 5 days Gallows, 5 at Caneel. I do love the snorkeling all over Caneel (Gallows is not bad), and I'm familiar with the other fine snorkeling spots around the island. We're at the point now (70's) where traveling to some of those nifty "far" spots has less appeal than it used to. So we're wondering about some new snorkeling options, closer and easier of access.
TPAYT: I don't agree with you about using chairs when one isn't a guest. That's why I asked about "appropriate" use of swimming pool at Westin. In fact, on occasion after we've finished our 5 days at Caneel and moved on to the pleasant condo part of our stay at Gallows, we've sometimes returned to Caneel for some hours, since we like that snorkeling so much. Usually we plop our towels down on the main beach and go off for a couple of hours, swimming from one neat spot to another. On one or two occasions, when there seemed to be an abundance of unused chairs, we've even sat ourselves down for half hour or so-- and then regretted it; made us feel creepy. In short, I think it's pretty important to respect rules and custom (but for sure have been guilty of breaking them at times).
Thanks again for replies. (And it seems that we'll skip visiting the Westin.)
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:32 AM

We've stayed at the Westin a couple of times and I have to say they are pretty relaxed about their facilities. They are also happy to sell day passes to use their facilities (I think it's between $10-20/day). They have shops, boat tours and restaurants which are all open to the general public, and I don't think you would feel creepy taking a swim or hanging out on their beach if you actually paid for a meal there. IMO, it's a more family-oriented resort than Caneel and have a less formal approach to everything. Also, the snorkeling is not great right off of the beach (although you could check out the 6 foot barrecuda who lives under the dock), but other portions of this relatively small Great Cruz Bay can yield some good sights. Last year, snorkelers spotted several wild dolphins. I wouldn't write off any area as it changes from day to day.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM

poss - I've read many of your other posts on this and other forums and knowing how important good snorkeling is to you I have to agree with the others. You WILL be disappointed with snorkeling at the Westin on St. John.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM

tHERE ARE SNORKEL SAILS OUT OF CRUZ BAY FOR $50-$60/ADULT FOR 4+ HRS. BESIDES THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS AND THEY GO TO SEVERAL SPOTS OFF THE CANEEL BEACHES.