St. John (Westin and Caneel Bay 10/05)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just returned from our 2nd time on St. John. We stayed from Oct. 8 - Oct. 15. The first 4 nights we stayed at the Westin in a poolview room and the last 3 we moved over to Caneel Bay (we stayed there 2 years ago).

After going to the caribbean during this time for 4 years in a row, this was the first time we experienced a lot of rain. We didn't let it stop our plans but its definitely something you should be prepared for.

We rented a jeep cherokee through the Westin for a couple of days. While we really enjoyed the Westin and the beautiful grounds we wanted to get out and see the island and town. This is a must. The Westin is a great base but be sure to go to other restaurants and beaches. The restaurants we went to were The Balcony, Morgan Mango's, La Tapa and Margarita Phil's. All very good. Be sure to hit the Beach Bar for a drink and try their flying shrimp. When you go to Coral Bay hit Skinny Leg's. However when you leave, make a left out of the parking lot. If you make a right you will be headed towards East End where the road ends and you have to drive all the way back.

If you want a private daysail definitely go with the Scubadu and Captain Joe. This was our 2nd time on his catamaran and even better. Great time and highlight of our trip. www.sailvi.com

The Westin has a beautiful pool and the rooms have all the amenities. The beach is okay but definitely doesn't compare with the natural beaches of St. John. Be sure to check out Cinnamon Bay Beach - beautiful.

Caneel Bay was our 2nd time there. We did notice that the service has improved. Its not perfect but getting a lot better. The grounds are still beautiful then ever but they are doing some renovations. I believe they will be complete for the December/ winter season. The food at the Turtle Bay Estate house and the Equator were also very good. Scott's beach is also still quite gorgeous. Definitely still one of my favorite place's to stay at.

If you would like to see my pictures go to:
http://community.webshots.com/slides...amp;key=sKJLBw

Any questions let me know. - Susan
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Hi SS...:

I am trying to make plans to stay at Caneel Bay but my travel agent is saying that the only room she could get is the tennis/garden rooms, in June'06. But the Westin is wide open in regards to room choices. I never have been to the Caribbean Islands and would like to stay at Caneel Bay because I heard Westin's beach isn't all that great. I don't want to have to take a cab everyday to go to the beach but Westin seems to have a good location in regards to bars and restaurants.
We are going on our honeymoon, we are 29 & 26 and don't want kids in our way. We like to cap off our relaxing days with drinks and food and a fun bar to relax in.
Please help with your opinion on both resorts. I don't want to make the wrong decision. I would love to stay on Scott beach but I think they may be booked.
Have you been to St. Thomas?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Susan, it's good to see your name again around here. Then again, I've not been on this forum very often recently, so maybe it's just me...

Anyway, thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had a good time.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Stephen Ross--Caneel is paradise on earth. All rooms are good. Room prices are by proximity to beach. Even Tennis Garden rooms, with a walk or tram to one of the 7 beaches, IMO, is preferable to almost anywhere else. Hard to believe they are booked up so far in advance in off-season. Perhaps try calling Caneel directly. Best combination of price/beach are the beachfront rooms on Hawksnest Beach.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:34 AM

xkenx:
thanks for he info.
would we be able to find fun bars to hang out at during the night?
Is there fine dining as well as casual dining?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

to ejcrowe -
Thank you, I know I haven't been posting too much lately but I have been lurking around this site now and again. We did have a wonderful time despite the weather.

to stephen -
I totally agree with xkenx. Caneel is truely beautiful whether you have a tennis/garden room or stay on scotts beach. Basically both places are nice but the Westin will have a lot of families there in June. We were there in October and saw a bunch of families. If you stay at the Westin, its a good base. I would eat out and perhaps rent a car. The Westin's food is very overpriced. For breakfast their buffet is $21 per person or if you go a la carte, their omelettes are $14.50 each, not worth in my opinion. But they also have a deli on the grounds where you can grab a bagel and/or muffin for breakfast.

If its your honeymoon, go with Caneel - beautiful beaches and snorkeling right there. Either place though, you should get out and into town and see some other beaches. There are 2 main restaurants for diner on Caneel, both very good but more upscale. They have a beach terrace bar that serves late lunches (after 2:30 and light dinners). They have entertainment from Thurs. to Sat. at the beach terrace bar. For breakfast they have another location where the buffet is $20 per person. Hope this helps! - Susan
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Stephen Ross: I would double check the room availability at Caneel; I'm looking at returning June or July and the Caneel website shows availability for Beach front rooms in June.
You can also call Caneel directly; they’re more then helpful with reservations and might have the ability to find rooms your travel agent can’t.
As far as Westin's location to Cruz Bay and nightlife, I don't think there's much difference between Caneel for choosing one over the other.

Susan,
Great pictures, is there photography in your background? I'm glad to see you had some sun. I was there last week as well but had to come home the 13th for a wedding- so we did not get an ounce of sun except for the ferry ride to St Thomas to catch my flight home!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Waywardseal-
Thank you for the complements. I was trying alot of different shots with my new digital camera. Its a panasonic, 5 mega pixel with 6x zoom. I love it! I actually do graphic design so I have some "feel" for photography but that's about it. Unfortunately Oct. 13 was the day the sun really did come out! You will just have to return to catch some some -
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM

would it be cheaper to do it just make reservations myself?

Is the food and drinks expensive in St. John?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Susan:
Sounds like a great camera. Artistic background was my second choice.
Weather is always a crapshoot; I was down last year (exactly a year ago) for two weeks and only got one rain day. Yes, I agree we’re already planning a return.

What day were you up on Peace Hill?
We went up Tuesday -late morning (in between rain showers). I only ask because I vaguely remember a couple resembling the two of you coming down the trail while we were going up.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Waywardseal -
It must have been our doubles. We went to Peace Hill that Sunday (two days before you). That's funny though, that you were there the same time.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM

great pictures!
They were helpful in deciding where I want to be.
So, the tennis/garden room won't be disappointing?
Also, the Westin looked nicer then Caneel Bay, I was suprised. But I guess their beaches aren't as nice.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Susan,
Thanks for the report. We are going for the first time in June. Staying at Caneel and a villa. Thanks for the restaurant info as I am compiling. Have you ever eaten at the Pavillion at Maho Bay Camp? Thanks again.

Stephen,
Through a tip in a review on tripadvisor I booked Caneel through Virtuoso Travel and got the breakfast buffet as an added amenity at no extra cost. I will e-mail you with the agent's name and contact info if you would like.

-Bill
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Hello SSypniewski! The Westin is a great resort isnt it!The rainy season around the usvi is from Oct- around April or so but at least it is a warm rain! Did you get to visit Hawksnest Beach? Cinnamon is wonderful.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Stephen,
The Tennis Garden rooms are fine; at Caneel, pricing for rooms is mostly done by location, not amenities (except for cottage 7).
I think you would be happy there; you just have to understand it would be a decent walk to any of the beaches. But, all of the tennis rooms are currently under a total renovation from the furniture down to the tile. You might actually get a nicer room by staying there.
I would suggest going on the Caneel website and doing some research. There's a map, which shows the layout of the resort and where every room is.

Also: the breakfast buffet rate that iamq talked about in his post was a summer special that is available on the Caneel website also; unfortunately it expires Nov 3. Possibly some travel agents that deal with Rosewood resorts might be able to get it still.

On appearance the Westin is manicured beautifully- the way you would think a large hotel chain would be; the Caneel grounds are almost rustic in nature but still beautiful.

As far as the beaches it’s no comparison. The Westin has one beach, which was man made and sometimes has cloudy water.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Susan: I have to say I agreed with everything you said! I also love the Westin for its good points and can appreciate Caneel's sublime charms too. Thanks for a great report and information.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Hi Susan!
Thanks for the report!Makes me wanna go back now!

My husband and I were there in September.Isn't the view from the Balcony beautiful!!We had a few drinks there and I had Calamari.I also had Calmari at La Tapa's..both where very good.I guess you can tell that I love Calamari.

This was also our 2nd trip to St John..we went with the kids and my mom in June.September was much better.The beaches were alot less crowded.

Our favorite beach is Francis Bay..we love to snorkel and saw alot at Francis bay.

Thanks for the report!
Christie

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

I really think that any room you stay in at Caneel would be sufficient. All of the beaches are in close proximity of one another. Unfortunately we didn't venture over to Hawksnest this time. We did snorkel Hawksnest last year and the year before. We only had 2 full days at Caneel (being our daysail was pushed to the day we were moving over to Caneel) so we were happy staying put on Scott's Beach.

Basically both resorts are very nice. However, I think that the Westin gives you more of a typical resort feel. You could be in Florida, Arizona, etc. Caneel has an understanded appeal that makes you feel that you are away and experiencing what the island really is or was - hopefully that makes sense! Thanks again for all of the positive responses - Susan
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:50 AM

I just viewed your pictures and they were wonderful!Thanks for sharing.We will have to go to Scott's Beach next trip..it looks amazing!
Christie
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:08 AM

SSypniewski:

In case I pick Westin, is it a far ride to get to other beaches near Caneel Bay?
I may have to rent a Jeep if I stay at Westin to get back & forth, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -