Search

St. John, USVI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. John, USVI

Going to the Westin on St. John in a couple weeks! Obviously the USD is accepted in the USVI, but how easy is it to use credit cards (MC/V, AMEX) in the Islands (at restaurants, etc)? Would also like to know about the BVIs.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:03 PM

It's pretty easy to use a credit card in most restaurants, except for the smallest local places. Maybe a bit less so in the BVI, but not that much. I've been editing the Caribbean guide for several years, and the number of USVI restaurants I come across that take absolutely no cards is pretty small.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I had the same concern about AMEX when I went to St. John in June. I used AMEX in every restaurant(except Grotto Deli-wouldn't accept) and at our resort(G. Point). Didn't souvenier shop much, but it was accepted at a few of those shops that we visited. I also used it for rental car.(Courtesy) I don't like to carry much cash if I can help it!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Everything easy in St. John, Mon! Just about everywhere accepts credit cards including the foodmarkets and a very stellar wine shop. We have been to the Westin 3 times in 2 years and we love it there. But definitely do not limit yourself to the resort. Rent a car from O'Connors which is right on sight and tour around one of the most beautiful places on earth. The Westin is also the originating point of many fantastic trips to the BVI and the same is true there. It is all very civilized! You'll be able to use your credit cards almost everywhere but real hole-in-the-walls. Also, I have always relied on the kindness of ATMs and they are all over the Virgin Islands. Don't worry, paradise is well automated.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:04 AM

Tuxedocat, could I have the name and location of the stellar wine shop, please?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM

The new-ish terrific wine shop is in the old Marina Market space and I think they call it the Marina Wine and Spirits shop on "South Shore Road" in Cruz Bay. At least that's the address given in the telephone book. It is located on a little street in a section known as Contant & Enighed. It is a one way road which begins at the gas station which is on the intersection of 5 roads. You pass through this intersection if you're coming from the direction of the Westin heading into town. When you're at the intersection in front of the gas station, it is the right hand road that heads slightly downhill. You will pass a place called the Rolling Pin on your left (best pizza on the island IMO). The road curves around to the right and you will see it on your left hand side.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Thanks, Tuxedocat, and also for the info about the pizza. I saved your directions for our trip in October. We'll probably need to hit the wine after navigating around for the first time. Then again, if we get lost, who cares.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM

NYCTiger: God bless for going to the Caribbean in hurricane season. I hope to be heading down there to close up our house. Not that it really needs it, our builder says it's built like a brick ____house, but I'll use any excuse. We've been to St. John 4 times during the summer and have been lucky. I think luck will hold out and it's actually great not to have to fight the madding crowd like we do in January.
IRabbit: Please ask anything you'd like regarding St. John. I have one other suggestion, although I am not sure what her hours will be in October. If you tour around St. John which I think you should because there's just so much beauty to see, get over to the quiet, gorgeous east end to Vie's Snack Shack on a Saturday around lunch time. She is known for her garlic chicken which entirely out of this world, her sister's homemade tarts/pies and the most delicious conch fritters and rice and beans. She also sells admission (a pittance) to her private beach across the street which is one of our favorites... private, pristine, and calm. Even if she's not cooking, her beach is worth the visit.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great info! I've been to several Caribbean Islands but this is my first trip to the Virgin Islands and I, like Carol, try to carry as little cash as possible when traveling. But I don't want to get stuck without means
Tuxedo: I grew up on the gulf coast so hurricanes don't really frighten me all that much. Plus, (famous last words) what are the odds

One other question, and this might be a bit specific. We are planning on taking the BVI trip on the New Horizons II for a day, but how do people store their valuables (Passport, wallet w/ccds and cash, etc) during that trip. I mainly have two concerns: 1) want to keep those docs dry, and 2) keeping them safe. I know/hope that the crew will be trustworthy, but I also know that when you're getting on and off a boat all day things are not very secure from other people (i.e., non-crew members, people on the docks, etc). I'm not super worried about this, just want to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, we definitely DO NOT plan on staying at the resort the whole time. Any recommendations for good restaurants and must-sees would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Please see my previous post regarding Vie's Snack Shack, definitely worth seeking out if only for the blissful little beach. Driving around the island is a good idea for all the breathtaking views. Also, the Westin's beach is just so-so. Make sure you check out all the north shore beaches especially Trunk, Hawksnest, and Cinnamon. Smaller and less crowded beaches are Jumby and Maho. You could hit 2 a day and still have plenty to see and do. On the south shore, if you are feeling more adventurous, you could 4-wheel it to Little Lameshur. Or do the 3 mile hike each way to Reef Bay. New Horizons II is a great trip. These crews are usually very professional and honest. We have always carried on a duffle bag with clothes, snorkel gear and money of course. I'd leave most of my valuables at the hotel in the safe. I'd bring about $100 cash (more cash if you need to pay for the trip in cash plus a tip for the captain and crew, and maybe $40 beyond that to pay for lunch and such) and one credit card along with passport. I would carry these in a waterproof container. Even a ziploc bag will do. The crew usually takes your passport for the duration of the trip as the captain has to process you through customs in the BVI. I find that tucking my stuff into the bottom of the duffle bag, and keeping the bag zipped up and inconspicuous when I'm not using it is fine. Some of the boats will have lockers for your peace of mind, but more often not. They don't want their operation to get a reputation of not being safe, so these boats are pretty cautious. Other passengers are usually not a problem either because they paid big bucks to be on the trip too, and there just aren't that many people on the boat anyway. Do make sure the first thing you inquire when you get on the boat is where is the best place to put your stuff. These boat crews are there to please and to make sure you have a happy, safe time.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I am planning on getting married on St. John in February 2006. I will be bringing about 15 guests with me and I am concerned about the cost. Does anyone know of a good way to keep the cost down?
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:08 PM

February is high season anywhere in the Caribbean. If you'd like to keep the costs down and you have 15 people, you need to book villas ASAP! The resorts will be around $750 per room per night at that time so if you rent say a 5-6 bedroom villa, it will cost you a total of between $5-10,000 per week dependent upon how luxurious the villa is. Or rent 2 4 bedroom villas for $4-8,000. Start looking at villa rentals right away. Just search under "St. John USVI" and a slew of villa rental companies will come up. If I come across any suggestions, I'll try to post. Good luck and congrats. You picked an incredibly beautiful place to be married.