Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Christie's Trip Report (St John Sept.15-20th)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thursday-
Arrived at Charlotte Amalie about 3:00 PM.We had met this really nice couple from Hickory NC and they were staying in the Red Hook Area of St Thomas..they offered us a ride to the RH ferry and we accepted as they were very nice and had a rental car.

We got to St John around 5:00 pm..went to Conrad Sutton and got the rental car.We went to The St John Inn and our room was not available..we were given a larger room for the same price.We finally got to our room and unloaded the bags.

We then went down to Woody's (which was closed).Then we went to The Quiet Mon and had a few drinks.I was hungry by this point but DH was not.I went down to La Tapa and ordered some Calamari (it was spicy and very good highly recommend it..if you like spicy food)got it to go..to take back to the Quiet Mon.While at The Quiet Mon..we met some locals who were there to mourn the death of Ivan's son (from Jost)who were very nice.We talked to them for a while and had a few drinks.

Then we went to Trunk Bay and sat on the beach for a while...then back to the room around 3:00 am.

Friday-

Got up around 10:00 and went to Waterlemon Beach and snorkeled the Cay.It was ok but must have been a bad day for good visibility.We were told that there were hundreds of starfish around the Cay but we did not see them.

We snorkeled at Waterlemon Beach and saw 2 seaturtles..one was a baby...We also saw some stingrays.

After snorkeling allday..we went back to the room and got our showers.We went to Margarita Phil's and had Lobster Tacos that were pretty good.We had a few drinks and went back to The Quiet Mon.We sat at the bar for a while talking and drinking.(I am not a big drinker..so I was getting pretty lite)so we left and went to The Front Yard and danced (which was funny because my DH does not dance but did anyways) My husband went to the ATM at First Bank..the ATM ate his card after giving him $150.So I want to warn everyone DO NOT USE THE ATM AT FIRST BANK..GO TO STARFISH MARKET AND USE THE ONE THERE.We would later learn that this happens alot at this bank.

So after that..we went back to the room because it was late and we wanted to get up early and see if the bank was open on Saturday.

Saturday-
We went to First Bank and it was closed (of course..our luck)At home some banks are open on Saturday.

So we decided to go down to Coral Bay and snorkel at Lameshur Bay.We get to Coral bay..by this point we were low on gas.We stopped at the gas station which was OUT OF GAS..so we just went back to Cruz Bay and got gas and decided to go to Cinnamon Bay.

We we got to Cinnamon Bay..the donkeys were on the beach..so I got some pictures of them.My DH was tired and laid down under a tree and slept while I explored.I went walking..and came up on a couple sitting down watching a baby donkey try to eat a book that they had brought..he then tried to run off with it..it was the funniest thing (of course my camera was at my towel).

I went walking towards the camping area and found a black cat with a hurt eye.I felt so sorry for this cat..she looked hungry so I took her to were my DH was laying and fed her a sugar cookie (the only food that I had with us)she hung around us until we left the beach.

We then went back to The Quiet Mon for a few drinks on the way back to the room.Just when we were going to go to Western Union..we were talking with a lady at the bar at The Quiet Mon about what had happened to our debit card..found out that she was the owner of the place Kelly (very nice)My DH then mentioned if she knew a guy from our hometown that has a house on Fish Bay (my DH does work for him at home and he had told him that he was friends with the owner of the Quiet Mon)She saved our lives..she let us write her a check for some cash to get us by until Monday.What a life saver and trusting,sweet woman.

We leave and go to the room for a nap.My husband was still tired when I woke up so I showered and went back to The Quiet Mon and talked with some of the locals.DH woke and met me there.We then went to The Beach Bar and had a few drinks and ate dinner.I had Hot Wings (that were good..just like home and the prices were very good here).My DH had a burger and fries.

We then went back to the room for the night.We were going to go to Jost Van Dyke on Sunday but found out that Foxy's was closed..and Ivan's son had just passed away on Wednesday so he was closed..not to mention that our cash was limited until Monday so we did not go to Jost.

This is just part of our trip..I will finish later..I have got to go clean and do a few things!

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:10 AM

Fheww... so far so good, despite the devoured credit card. Welcome back, Christie. Seems like you went at a nice, slow pace this time around. BTW, the starfish at Waterlemon Cay are only plentiful during certain times of the year. When we were there in January, there were actually dozens in Lameshur, some more than a foot in diameter. Come to think of it, when we saw starfish at Waterlemon, it was about the same time of year. Must be something seasonal. Were you satisfied with your room at St. John Inn?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

The room was in need of some renovations in the bathroom..but the AC worked very well..so we were happy.The honor bar is no longer in place at The St John Inn..so when we arrived and wanted a drink before we left..we were a little disappointed.

Some divers staying at SJI told us about the starfish..we must have over looked them.Someone else said that they almost missed them.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:52 AM

The starfish lie in deeper water on the swim to the island. They are in water over 20 feet deep sometimes, so I guess they might be easy to miss. Yup, like I said staying at the St. John Inn is like staying over in someone's basement guestroom. Okay if you don't spend too much time in your room. Good to know the ac works well. Too bad about the honor bar. But a drink is never too far away in the islands. Tell us more.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM

Starfish are definitely hit or miss at Waterlemon. In February we saw none, in May there were tons literally 18" diam at 24" intervals covering the entire sea floor. Very cool.

Despite the credit card issue sounds like you had a great trip Christie!

Tux we have got to stop telling people about Little Lamesur...that's our favorite deserted beach on STJ! Trish
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM

Trish: You are so right. In fact, I have stopped recommending St. John as a destination. If people have questions, I am happy to answer them, but no more urging folks to go or volunteering information! Christie, that doesn't include you, we still want to share Lameshur with you!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Trish,
That sounds really cool (the starfish)I hate that we missed them and Little Lameshur bay.

Mae,
Yeah,I would definitely stay in Coral Bay area or Caneel Bay Resort next time.

Sunday-

We woke and went to Every Ting for iced coffees.Then we headed to Peace Hill and explored a little before it started pouring down rain.We went back to the car and went to Gibney Beach and by the time we got there..it had stopped raining.We had the whole beach to ourselves other than a local who was there with his dog.We talked to him for a while and had a beer with him.

After that..we snorkeled Gibney beach and saw a Starfish and a ton of other fish.We spent most of the day here.

We then headed back to the room for showers.Went JJ's Texas (something)for dinner.I had a BLT with pasta salad and DH had a burger.We then shopped a little from the locals who have stands in the park.

Next we went to Gecko Gazebo and I had a Lime N Coconut that was really good.Then we headed back to the Quiet Mon..were we met some an interesting woman named Katrina (hurricane Katrina was her nickname).We were drinking a drink with a few people.Katrina walked up to one of the girls we were talking to..bum a cigarette and lighter..walked off.Later Katrina came back up to QM and screamed in the girls face that gave her a cigarette.

It was to the point with this woman that locals and tourists alike knew her name..and that she was a bum.I told the girl that we were talking to..that I would not give that woman a thing..after the way she treated her.I believe in treating people the way you want to be treated..but the rules are different with this woman.

Later on that night..my DH and I were walking and he walked up to this lady to ask directions..not realizing that it was Katrina..and she yelled "F*** you white man" in his face.He has very little patience and looked at me and said I will never come back here again.
I told him just to ignore her and keep walking.It was a very interesting evening.

We went on to the Beach bar and had a few drinks and talked with some nice folks the rest of that night.We noticed from talking with people that the racial tensions were up a little.We talked with one guy (black)who had lost his job and it was because of a guy who had just moved there (white) and he was very upset.I can understand why he was upset..people are moving in on the locals and taking their jobs...that would upset me too.

Before long..St John will be really built up with the way construction is going...and parking will really be a disaster.I wish it would stop!

OK back to the trip..

After the Beach Bar we went back to the room and went to sleep.

Monday-

My DH went to the bank while I was sleeping and they told him to come back at 2:00.

So we went to Francis Bay...this was our favorite beach by far.We snorkeled out to the left at some rocks and saw sooo much Stingrays,turtles,orchins,angelfish,danselfish,bra in coral,seafans,and lots of other fish and critters.We had already used up our underwater cameras(which was sad because we saw the most at this beach)

We were the only people there with the exception of one other couple.The other couple swam with a seaturtle for a little while.

We then went back to the bank and waited about 30 minutes to get his card back..while we were waiting..someones card was eating by the ATM and she was told to come back at 3:00.I could not understand why..when they were going to get our card at 2:00..(in about 5 minutes)

We then went riding around the North shore and stopped back at Cinnamon
bay to see the cat and we were going to snorkel the Cay but we were tired and hungry..so we headed back to the room for a shower (5:00).

We had dinner at Sogo's...they have West Indian dishes.I really loved their Shrimp Scampi..it was in this cream sauce (not the normal greasy,buttery one)it was my favorite meal.My DH had the Shrimp creole.They had these fried biscuits (I forget the name of them) but they were wonderful.

We left and went to The Beach bar and talked with a guy who was there working on a house that his family owned near the Beach Bar..very nice guy.

Then we headed back to the room around 11:00.

Tuesday-
We got checked out at the hotel and went to Senorita's Pizza for lunch.(really good and cheap..for the budget minded.)It was raining so we just rode around until time to get the ferry at 1:00 pm.

I learned on this trip that my DH and I were in very different mind sets.I wanted to do the Reef Bay Trail to the Petroglyphs..but he was too tired and never wanted to go.I also wanted to go to Ramshead Point and he did not.

I guess that I will go back with a girlfriend oneday.

I really enjoy St John and would like to explore more on a future trip.

My DH wants to go..somewhere flat (Grand Cayman maybe??)he does not have the patience that I do for the winding roads..needless to say I drove the whole trip.

I know that I have missed alot by not going to Coral Bay..so will try to go back oneday.

If anyone has any questions...feel free to ask.

Christie

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Mae,
Keep up the not recommending STJ to people as you know..it is getting very developed.

I will go back but not with DH..maybe a friend who wants to snorkel allday with me.

I wanted to go back to Coral bay on Monday but the day was kind of blown by having to stay close by to get our card back.

Also..everyday we got a late start..DH and I have been very tired with his business.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM

Christie: You know, you did just fine for a short trip. I think your husband really needed a short, uncomplicated trip because of his tiring work. Stress and too much work will often set us in a terrible frame of mind. I know from personal experience. Anyway, I hope you will come back to St. John with or without your husband. It is wonderful even with more development. The local government is keeping an eye on it all. Alot has happened over the last two years but it is still 2/3 national park, so... it can't get too crazy. I think despite 2 slightly challenging trips, you still caught the St. John spirit. You get it, even if DH didn't quite (no fault of his own). Things hit you or they don't. So sorry about that Katrina incident. You get that kind of person anywhere, unfortunately. It's obvious, the locals don't care for her either. Anyway, I welcome you to the loving sisterhood of the St. John afficionados, right, Trish?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM

Christie...glad you had a nice trip..i'm shocked over something you mentioned in your report..that Ivans son died ??? true ? any info..this is terrible.please give me an update. thanks Theresa
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:05 PM

Hi Christie,

Welcome back - I can sympathise with your DH, he works hard and wants a stressfree vacation. Next time Jamaica, huh?

Now you're making me feel guilty - we've been back for 3 weeks and I still haven't finished my Trip report.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Tess,
His mother said that he died from complications from Pneumonia.Everyone talked about him and he seemed to be a really nice guy.Very,very sad.

alya,
You were in Jamaica 3 weeks ago??I have a feeling that I will never be able to talk my DH into going.He was set to go sometime..but when we were in STJ..we talked with some people that had been to Jamaica and had a bad experience.I am the type that does not go by someone elses word and would like to learn for my self..but DH is now saying he will not go to Jamaica.I think that we are different travelers (which is not good)I like to experience different cultures,etc.DH wants to have a Mickey D's close by..that's probably why he liked Aruba and I did not.
BTW..don't feel quilty about not finishing your trip report..I probably have left out a lot of details in mine.

Mae,
You are exactly right about the Katrina thing being everywhere.Like I told my DH..at home there are alot more people like her..you just don't see it as often because your not confined to a small island.She did not bother me.I found her entertaining when things were a little quite.I felt bad for her until her cousin told us that she was sorry and "do not give her anything".

I was able to get in the laid back mode and relax..even though my DH was not.I am perfectly content on a nice beach with good snorkeling.I also like to talk with locals and here their stories about the island.

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:06 AM

Christie, Glad you're back and that you had a nice trip. Enjoyed your trip report.

You can count on me if you ever need a buddy to travel to St. John with--though I'm sure I'd have to get in line.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

ej,
Thanks and next time I go to STJ..I will keep you in mind..if DH will not go. also for Jamaica.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to tell you all about the "jerk of a cop" that we met.Saturday we were riding around trying to find parking and across the street from the police station..two cars were parked on the sidewalk..we checked and they were not rentals so we thought that it was OK to park there..also there were no signs saying that it was illegal to park there.We went to the Quiet Mon for a couple of hours..came back to the car and a policemen approached us and very,very rudely said "that guy told you not to park there so why did you park there??"..I then said "what guy??"no one told us not to park there.He then said " do not come to my island and disrespect it"..I said again "what are you talking about..noone told us not to park here and there were also 2 other cars parked here and NO NO PARKING SIGNS so we thought that it was ok to park here..I'm very sorry and not trying to disrespect your island"..he then said "don't worry about other people parking..worry about your self".. I have alot of patience but at this point..I was getting very mad..He then said that he was giving us a parking ticket..so I said "did the other cars get a parking ticket??" and "what the he** are you talking about when you said that someone told us not to park here"..my husband said don't worry about it..there's nothing we can do..so we had to pay a $25 parking ticket before we left.

Two days later..I saw more cars parked on the curb and I was tempted to go to the police station and ask if they got tickets but decided not to.It really made me mad..he was such a jerk and I WAS trying to be very nice about it (at first)He could have cared a less that we had been drinking..but he made sure to get on my DH to put on his seatbelt...funny how cops are outside of the mainland.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:38 AM

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip, Christie. Now that fall is here, any snorkeling anywhere would be wonderful! I think your husband's heart just isn't in the same place when it comes to traveling. Tuxedocat hit on something REALLY big when she said things hit you or they don't. I think that's true of different islands. We don't "get" Aruba, but we "get" other places. It's just how you feel. If privately you want to go to Jamaica and your husband doesn't, find a friend who will go with you. You won't regret it. It is the most naturally beautiful island in the Caribbean.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Knowing,
Hi! And yes I do want to go to Jamaica..I guess that I will have to get a friend to go with me. I think that my husband would be happier with the Americanized islands and by that I mean places that have alot of our fast food chains. I am happy to try new dishesf and new places..He is happy with the same ole..same ole.
Maybe he will like Grand Cayman..if the snorkeling is really good like people say..I would like to go just for that alone.

I know what you mean about "not getting" Aruba...I didn't either...but I think that my husband did.I got St John..but I think that my husband didn't..ole well!Take care!
Christie
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we tried Conch Fritters at Margarita Phil's..for the first time.I loved them..they reminded me of crabcakes.

I will also have a link to our pictures..I am picking up the underwater pictures..tomorrow.I will post a link to those and the ones that we took with our new digital camera.(our other one got lost on the first trip to STJ)
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Here is a link to my photos..for anyone interested in looking at them.

http://community.webshots.com/album/458587874NrxBRl
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Great shots Christie ! Trunk Bay has to be one of the prettiest beaches ! Basically picture perfect ..... It looked really green as well . Faith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -