St. John Travel

Apr 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Dolores

St. John Travel

Wondering about getting around in St. John ... don't want to drive on the left. Would we need cabs all the time to go to most of the beaches ? Any moderate price hotels there? Go to St. Thomas for daytrips?

Apr 9th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Lisa

Dolores,
If you don't want to drive on the left, then DON'T drive on St John. That's simply the way it's done. If you want to use cabs to get around there are plenty but personally I find it alot more convenient to have my own transportation. As far as moderately priced accomadations, try the Gallow Pointe, and Cruz Views and for high end camping the Maho Bay Eco tents can't be beat!
And yes the ferries run back and forth to St Thomas all day if you want to make day trips over there.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:40 AM
lisa

Dolores,
St John is a small but mountainous island. Except for the two resorts, Westin and Caneel there are virually no "beachfront accomodations". You will need to either use taxis or rent a vehicle to explore the island and visit all the amazing beaches.
Driving on the left is less of a problem than I had expected, it only took me a few minutes to acclimate.
Check our USVI-On-Line for lots of great information on the available hotels, guest houses and B&B's.
Good luck!

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:42 AM
John

if staying in a villa cabs will be difficult. other than at Caneel you will travel to the beaches.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Patty

I would recommend staying in Cruz Bay if you're not planning to rent a car or staying at one of the two big resorts. That way you can walk to restaurants, ferry pier, etc. We stayed a the St. John Inn several years ago and enjoyed it. It's nothing fancy, but the rates are reasonable and it's a short walk to the waterfront. You will need a cab to get to the beaches. If you really want to be on the beach, another possibility would be to check out the camp-like accomodations at Maho or Cinnamon Bay, but then your dining options would be very limited unless you go off property which would then require a cab ride.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
Amy

My husband and I recently stayed at Estate Lindholm on St. John's northshore. They have only ten rooms so it is very private with beautiful grounds and the rooms are very clean. The Estate is close to Cruz Bay and it was very easy to catch a taxi (safari bus) to the beach. There are two beautiful beaches within walking distance of the Estate as well. If you don't want to drive, I would definitely stay there. Enjoy !

May 1st, 2002, 04:55 PM
Russ

When you get off the ferry in St. John, you can rent a jeep. It is a quick and efficient way to scout around the island. You will quickly adapt to driving on the left. There isn't much traffic to worry about anyway. You can visit all the beautiful beaches like Trunk Bay, etc.