St. John Stumper!

Mar 8th, 2000, 07:25 PM
Cheryl

St. John Stumper!

Has anyone ever rented a place called Poi-Pu-Pu on St. John? Has anyone stayed there? (And did you like it?)

Also, what's the difference between a "house" and a "villa"??? Just before I got off the phone with the rental agent, he said, "You know, you'll be getting a house, not a villa." I got to thinking -- is that good news, bad, or indifferent? Can anyone clear up this definition?
Thanks!

Mar 8th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Nancy

Although I have not stayed in Poi-Pu, I looked at the information and photographs at Seaview's web site and it is obvious that this is an older home.

Chocolate Hole is a small bay with a swampy ditch area inland from the bay. The amount of water in this "pond" varies according to amount of rain, etc.

Poi-Pu appears to be inland behind this "pond," which is not really a great location.

The agent's distinction between a "house" and a "villa" is probably his way of forewarning you about the villa's age and condition. I would expect that he means a "villa" has a more open floorplan with good flow between the indoor and outdoor spaces. This the typical design of the newer villas and often the bedrooms are in separate buildings and not connected or within the main living area.

I would assume that Poi-Pu is laid out like a typical stateside house.

Hope this helps.

Mar 9th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Cheryl

Nancy, Thanks for your reply -- we've "talked" before and you were very helpful -- thanks again!

But -- boy -- do I feel like a jerk for typing Poi-Pu-Pu!!! Thanks for recognizing it's only ONE Pu!!!

Well, guess what? Now I'm kind of scared because that's where we'll be staying because it was affordable. The others you mentioned to me looked wonderful and would have been great if we were sharing the expense with another couple, but they were out of our reach for just ourselves. I hope I haven't made a big mistake with Poi-Pu. Last year's lodging on Culebra was a bit scary, so I hope I'm not extra-ordinarily talented at picking awful places!

Anybody else out there know anything about Poi-Pu? Please!

Mar 12th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Mike

Unfortunately Chocolate Hole is the poorest location on that side of the island, in fact its the only one we've seen that isn't beautiful.....you may want to reconsider. However, you are only a 10-20 minute jeep ride to some of the most beautiful beaches in the caribbean

Mar 12th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Nancy

Mike,

I wouldn't consider Chocolate Hole a poor area. We have stayed in Villas close to this area and have explored it extensively in car and on foot. There are some very nice and expensive villas located "out" on the peninsula and the view from these villas is great. There are always a few sailboats anchored in the bay.

The problem with Poi-Pu's location is that it is not located out on the peninsula but inland overlooking the land-locked "pond" which is stagnant and probably a good breeding area for mosquitos.

I would have no concerns about the neighborhood. But Poi-Pu is obviously older and has an unappealing view.

Mar 13th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Laura

I just got back from our honeymoon on St. John and have a suggestion for a lovely and affordable villa. It is called "On The Rocks" and is located in a very upscale neighborhood in Klein (Rendezvous) bay. It is the downstairs apartment of a home owned by some wonderful people who live upstairs. It is literally on the beach, has great snorkeling, and a private pool. The apartment itself is absolutely lovely and we can't wait to go back. One tip - rent a jeep to explore the island. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mar 16th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Cheryl

Well, foks, I'm REALLY bummed now. We've already sent in our deposit and have received confirmation on Poi-Pu?

Doesn't anyone have anything nice to say about this villa or location?

(I guess we can't change now without forfeiting our deposit, correct?)

Mar 19th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Becky

Guess What Cheryl, we just got back from St. John over Presidents Week and stayed @ Poi Pu. It was a last min. trip and there was NOTHING availible but that one and one in Coral Bay. It was much better than the pictures on the internet, we VERY pleased. It had been painted and was much brighter than the drab internet pictures. The deck was wonderful where you spend most of your time. Very private, yet close to everything you'd ever need. We had the best vacation and will defintely be going back, but will probably upgrade to something with a/c. Not that we needed it in Feb. but I can see where in the summer months in that location it could get hot and buggy. Mark Shekleton was very nice and met us at the dock @ midnight when our plane was delayed 4 hrs. I too read all the negativity on the internet regarding this villa and agree with the view of the pond not being the best, but the rest of the view was wonderful for us (coming from flat florida). It did not appear older, as it has been kept up beautifully. Go and enjoy, I think you'll have a great time. (does not have a washer/dryer though if that is important to you, with the water shortage in st. john,its probably for the best)

Mar 20th, 2000, 04:55 AM
Cheryl

Becky -- Thanks, you made my day!!! I'm sitting here with the flu and feeling very low and just daydreaming about our upcoming vacation to get me thru this so your reply was wonderful to see. Thanks SO much! Can I e-mail you for further info (or you can e-mail me with anything else you think of, if you like). Thanks again!

May 7th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Bronwyn

Hi, Cheryl. Now I'm worried. We rented Poi Pu for a week in late May. My husband and I only had two weeks to work within and Poi Pu was the only house that was available during our limited timeframe. We were a little concerned when we booked because it looked like an older house, but we liked the fact that it was close to town and had a dip pool. Have you taken your vacation yet? If so, I'd love to hear any comments you have about the house. Although it's too late for us to change now, I'd like to be prepared! If you won't be taking you trip until later, I'll be glad to give you feedback once I return. Thanks!

May 19th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Cheryl

Hey, don't worry! If you notice, my original post was in 2000 -- we stayed at Poi-Pu in July 2000 and hardly a day goes by that we don't remember that vacation fondly! Only one problem was that the mosquitoes loved me -- but ignored my hubby. One poster recommended taking viatmin B before going. So my advice -- don't worry -- Mark and Nanci of Seaview homes are wonderful people and Poi Pu is SUCH a pleasant memory. We are going back to St. John next July (2002) and will most likely book Poi-Pu. Any more questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Go and enjoy!

Jun 6th, 2001, 12:39 PM
pc

Help! Now I'm really concerned after reading some of the responses to the St. John/villa/chocolate hole area. There are 13 of us going in Nov 2001 and the only villa large enough to accommodate all of us (6 bedroom) was on Chocolate Hole - the Villa St John Beach Retreat. The Villa itself looks lovely, but I did not realize the location was SO bad. We will have 3 jeeps and plan on exploring. I was told Chocolate Hole was great in the sense that it was close to Cruz Bay as we will be scuba diving (close to catching the dive boats). Any other opinions out there on the Chocolate Hole area? We're locked in at this point and had no other choice for a 6 bedroom!!! thanks.

Jun 6th, 2001, 01:24 PM
kate

Don't worry!!This is the problem with these message boards- one person's opinion is no cause for concern..I have stayed in Chocolate Hole a few times now and I think it is wonderful.No it is not the North shore but the views are wonderful, it is close to town and the North shore beaches are a 15 minute drive away. I am not familiar with your villa but I am sure you will have a fantastic time. We love St John and you will too!!!

Jun 7th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Bronwynn

You have nothing to worry about! Just returned from a week in St. John. Stayed at the Poi Pu villa in Chocolate Hole. We, too, were nervous because of everything we read on these message boards. While we probably would opt for a newer villa the next time, the Chocolate Hole location was fine and we had a wonderful time. The location was convenient to town yet very private. We will definitely be returning and would not hesitate to stay in Chocolate Hole again.

Jun 11th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Karen

There's nothing wrong with the Chocolate Hole location. We have stayed high above Chocolate Hole and Hart Bay several times and have found the views to be lovely. There's hardly a bad location on STJ. It's a beautiful island with most of the villas setting high enough to provide dramatic views of the USVI and BVI depending on where you are.

Dec 27th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Jess

Was just wondering. My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon on St. John. We really want to be able to walk to restaurants, shops and nightlife, however, we would also like to have a private pool more room, etc... I like Poi Pu and other villas in the Chocolate Hole area but am worried that it will be too much trouble driving back and forth to Cruz Bay with drive time and parking. I would appreciate any opinons about whether to stay closer to the city. Many thanks.

Dec 27th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Karen

Altho most say within walking distance to Town (and it is a small Town not a City), the only places that you would probably want to walk from are Gallows Point or St. John Inn which is in Cruz Bay. The hills are steep and usually one way if not both would be very vigorous walks on narrow roads with no sidewalk. I can't think of many places that I would even attempt to walk to or from. You will want to taxi if not drive yourself. Several of the rental companies allow you to park in their lot if you come into Cruz Bay if the office is open.