St John or Nevis in April

Jan 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

St John or Nevis in April

We are considering going away to the Caribbean in April with our 5 year old daughter. We love quiet isolated islands with great beaches. We've been to Bermuda, Turks, Abacos, Eleuthera, Long island, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anguilla, Curacao and Cancun. We love the Bahama out islands because they offer awesome beaches where we may be the only people on the beach. We also like islands that are quaint/unspoiled/not commercialized/charming. Looking to go someplace else and am considering St John or Nevis. I think our beach requirements would be met on St John (but am afraid the beaches may be crowded by our standard, 10-15 people is way too many). Nevis looks very quaint. But I am afraid I will be very disappointed in the beaches. Not sure if the beaches will be crowded there. In any case, am looking for input from people who have been to one or preferably both these islands. Does one place appeal more than the other. Btw we would likely stay at a villa so any suggestions there would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM

I've been to both, and I think you've got them pegged pretty well. STJ has lots of beaches, so I think with a little research you can find some of the more out of the way but still lovely beaches. Nevis is quaint, charming, and you can wander around the Botantic Gardens or go hiking and monkey viewing at Golden Rock. I think Nisbet Plantation is a great place to stay. Pinney's Beach, Oalie Beach, and the beach at Nisbet are all nice but simply not at the stunning level as many STJ beaches are.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
cdw

I have been to all of the same islands as you and have also been to St. Kitts and Nevis and St. John. I liked St. Kitts but I loved St. John. We have been there 5 times. Nevis beaches are not very pretty but the scenery is nice. I hated the Four Seasons on Nevis with its ugly water and tons of water craft polluting it. I think Nevis will disappoint you after islands like Anguilla, Curacao, and the BVIs. Go with STJ....you will not be disappointed. Have you considered St. Barts? It has awesome beaches.
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts Jimmie and cdw. I am leaning towards St John. If there are any other opinions out there, please keep them coming.
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Just another plug for St. John having been to both(St. John-6 times and Nevis 2 times). If you enjoy snorkeling Nevis is fair at best and St. John is still among the best in the Caribbean.
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
cw

If white beaches are your priority, you'll probably be happier in St. John.

If you want more information about Nevis, the best website for information is www.nevis1.com. It also includes a section on villa rentals.
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Our daughter just turned 6 and she is so happy on STJ. The bigger north shore beaches do get busy, but if you go to smaller ones like Jumby, Gibney or Maho, there's usually less than 10 people there. If you go to the southshore beaches like Little Lameshur, or Vie's out in Hansen Bay, then you'll see even less people. In April, it's towards the end of high season. If you really want low crowds, I'd chance August-October. But if you can stand to share the beauty a bit, you'll love STJ. I would say, of the islands you've been to, it's most like Virgin Gorda. STJ is also less developed as 2/3 is national park.
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. St John it is.