St. John or Barbados??

Oct 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

St. John or Barbados??

2 week honeymoon in November?
St. John or Barbados or St. Lucia .... any advice. We've never been to the caribbean.
Thanks.
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM

St. John or St. Lucia, hmmmm... depends what you like, never been to Barbados.
St. John: we have stayed at Caneel bay and Westin, both are lovely. you don't have to worry about kids at westin if you are going off school vacation time.
St. John has great restaurants, fun spots, magnificent scenery, (do a drive in rental jeep or with driver in group or private), and definitely rent a boat and captain for a day; you bring your passport and he will take you snorkeling if you want at great hidden spots, as well as the more well known Indians and the Caves, to hidden small beaches and swimming holes, stop for lunch on Virgin Gorda or somewhere else, go to VIrgin Gorda and swim and walk around the Baths, have a ddrink at Foxy's, etc. it's a wonderful day . Just bring your passport as some of the islands are US Virgin and others are BVI. Other than that, sit during day, with one day of touring, and the rest relax or sail, sunfish, swim, lots of choices. Day trip on shuttle to St. Thomas if you want to walk around and shop and eat somewhere different.
St. lucia also lovely. Great rain forest day trip, the Pitons to drive up into and have lunch at top with magnificent views, the sulphur baths, some fine restaurants. I didn't find the snorkeling as good as st. John area at all. So of the two I know I would pick St. John, - more to do in the area and opportunity to island hop with ease. Hard decisions .....others will post and help you who might have been to Barbados or ohter places on St. John/St. Lucia. Good luck - have fun. If you decide St. John post again and I will pass along the name and info of the guy we use for the one day trip. There are two emplyees we alternate between our family loves them both and they are a wealath of knowledge. they aslo do day fishing trips if that interests you, not me but my husband and daughter have done several times with them.
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:46 PM

escargot,
Could you share the information for the fishing trips? Not much for me either, but my husband would love to go while on STJ. I have perused a few on line, but they are somewhat expensive. My husband went while on St Lucia, but shared the cost with 3 other guys. TIA

Brenda

Oct 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Hello llily. congratulations on your honeymoon!!It is very hard not to recommend St. John because My favorite beaches are there and I spent so much time there during my years in St. Thomas, If you go to S. John I would recommend 2 wonderful places to very highly to you.The ESTATE LINDHOLM resort check it out atwww.estatelindholm.com and also GALLOWS POINT resort at www.gallowspointresort.com Barbados is grreat for fishing but St. Johns beaches unreal. Make sure you visit Hawksnest Beach ,Cinnamon Bay, and Trunk Bay.
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM

For a wonderful introduction to the Caribbean, I'd suggest going to Barbados. It has some of everything any island can offer except for gambling and a volcano. Lovely people, lush green tropical setting, clean air, pure water, wide range of hotels, beaches, water sports, sightseeing such as caves, tropical gardens, animal preserves, plantation houses, submarine ride. Outstanding restaurants, both in hotels and independent. All revolves around a British/Caribbean culture so you don't feel like you're just in tropical America. Barbados is a really special place with a strong economy, not dependent only on tourism, so a visitor experiences a sense of a place which is beyond just a resort on a beach. Generally avoid August-October (hurricane season). Otherwise weather is great all year-perpetual summer with water temps over 80 deg. even in winter. Lowest hotel rates are mid-April to mid-December, with a big jump in high season. Calmest water for swimming/snorkeling is on the calm
west coast north of Bridgetown. IMO the best hotel on that stretch is Coral Reef Club. Family-owned for 50 years, low-rise and plantation cottage style hotel in tropical gardens and fine beach. See www.barbados.org and
www.coralreefbarbados.com
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM

brenandg: my husband has the info at office. he will get tomorrow and i will post.
Oct 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Thanks escargot, I will watch for it.

Search this Thread