St John health, logistics, Buck Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading so many of these terrific posts, I've decided it's going to be St John for a week or so in mid Oct. We'll rent a condo and a jeep. We're not resort types and pretty active, however I do have some insect allergy issues. I need to carry an epi-pen wherever I go, and know all about deet, but I have some logistics questions: has anyone ever snorkeled carrying an epi-pen? Do underwater 'fannypacks' work well? Is this what everyone does with their car keys, money etc? I'll also need to haul around prescription glasses too, but I plan to get a prescription mask. I don't know if I'll have an anaphylactic reaction if stung by a jellyfish, but not sure how much a risk that is in St John in Oct. Any thoughts? Are there certain snorkeling places that one should avoid for this reason? Has anyone used the medical facilities on St John?
Also, is it possible to rent sea kayaks without a guide coming along? If we'd like to visit Buck Island, do we need to go back to St Thomas in order to get to St Croix? Should we plan for a night or 2 in St Croix to accomplish this?
I'm getting very excited about this trip from all your input, and will be buying some books soon - also looking forward to some birdwatching!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:25 PM

As far as snorkeling Buck Island off St. Croix, since you'll be on St. John, the time would be better spent, imo, taking a day excursion to the BVI's for snorkeling. Although St. Croix's Buck Island is lovely and has good snorkeling, I think you'll find snorkeling a plenty right off St. John's beaches. The day trip will top it off! To return to stt to catch the plane to stt and maybe even do an overnite, depending on your sechedule. You might want to check www.usvi-on-line for the references books you may want to use. Your local library might have them. Also check out vinow.com for USVI info.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:17 AM

I've seen divemasters, who dive with their clients, tote along Epipens. In fact, it's listed as a necessity on the scuba diving manuals. It's hard to say about jellyfish, but if you're allergic to bee, wasp, etc., stings, then assume you're also hyper-allergic to jellyfish, fire coral, or other types of stings (remember, those beautiful coral that look like flower gardens are animals, not plants). Visit your local scuba diving shop and purchase a waterproof underwater pouch. Also, since they no doubt have a divemaster running the operation, ask him/her for their opinions about your reaction to being stung. You could also purchase a wet suit to protect yourself. Robert
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

That's a good idea about a day trip to the British VI - I'll look into that. I am assuming that other types of stings are going to be a problem, but it's good to know that dive masters have a system in place. I'll look into some type of waterproof carrier. I'm pretty good about not touching things, but I've always got to be ready. Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:36 AM

I know that you can find those pouches on a string at most dive shops - just be sure that you get one that is definitely waterproof.
(We got one that looked like it would be but wasn't.)
I agree with Robert that you should consider buying a wetsuit or a "skin" since you have concerns.
A skin - which is basically a lycra bodysuit - can be bought at a dive shop for less than $50.00, and about $100.00 will buy you a thin neoprene suit that will offer a lot of protection.
I came up from a dive in Mexico into a Portugese Man O War (one of the few things in the ocean that can kill a person), and was fortunate to only get a few small stings on one hand due to wearing a wetsuit.
Of course, it is very unlikely that you are going to encounter any problems at all, but having an exposure suit would vastly reduce the chances of any types of reactions.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I believe you can rent sea kayaks without a guide at Cinnamon Beach (see cinnamonbay.com - General Info). A very fun way to get to St. Croix if you decide to go is by seaplane. Seaborne Airlines has hourly flights from St. Thomas. As for guide books, we couldn't live without "Feet Fins & Four-Wheel Drive" by Pam Gaffin. It may be tough to find, but you'll be glad to have it. It's got several Jeep tours as well as advice on all the beaches. We never left our villa without it.