Search

St John Car Rental Problems

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
MSS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St John Car Rental Problems

Maybe someone can help with this. 1st of all, it is about 2 weeks before we head to St. John. I have tried to communicate with St. John Car Rental via e-mail to reserve a vehicle with no response. Next, I called personally, and after a few communication problems, I was told to fax all information along with our credit card info so they could bill the $100 deposit. (They really didn't say exactly what to fax, but I tried to offer suggestions, and they did agree). Still no response, so we called them back today and they said they never received the fax, although my fax stated that the information was received. They really don't seem to want to offer any help or suggestions when we call or e-mail but then, maybe it is because of the difference in cultures.

We also have to confirm our itinary with Caribbean Villas, or they will charge an extra $50 for not having our travel information to them in a timely manner.

Should we persist and try to fax again, or try another car company. Has anyone else had any communication problems and if so how did you handle it? Are there any that are easier to work with than others?

Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM

Hmmm... Let me take a moment to vent. I'm trying to shop around / compare Serendip, Cruz Views & Coconut Coast. Serendip has returned my 2 emails within 24 hours. Caribbean Villas, who I've contacted 3 times over the last 3 weeks via their web site, by email, and by leaving a voice mail message has yet to contact me. Coconut Coast said they didn't get my email, but answered the phone a week later and answered all my questions, but 5 days later hasn't sent the confirmation email they said they would. Aside from Serendip's promptness, should I be chalking this up to "island time"?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:37 AM

We had no trouble dealing with Courtesy ( http://www.courtesycarrental.com/ ).If I remember correctly, I changed vehicles twice via the phone and also to confirm our reservations.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:02 AM

Not to make any excuses for anyone, but this is the height of the low season. Many local people and businesses take this time of year off, close up shop and go off island for their own vacations, etc. That may be a reason why you are not getting return calls or if folks are slow to respond. Sometimes their heads just aren't in their work like a kid on summer vacation. Of course, this way of going doesn't fly other times of the year, and stuff like this may loose some businesses customers. If you are not happy with their response, I would just move on to the competition.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:23 AM

Thanks, Tuxedocat. The fact that it's vacation time for those in St. John is something I'll keep in mind.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:43 AM

Could your villa rental agent make the arrangements for you?

-Bill
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Yes, compared to the others, Caribbean Villas was slower to respond. Their main office is in Maine. We did finally rent from them. One thing that we did find out and it may be standard with most - even though we are renting a 2 bedroom villa with 2 baths, we can only use 1 bath and bedroom or we will be charged for extra people. The other one is off limits. The only thing we would maybe want to do, is use both bathrooms at the same time to get ready to go out, but not allowed. That doesn't happen in the states. While I am ok with it, DH is a little upset.

Car rental - actually, Caribbean Villas sent us a reservation form to rent a vehicle through them. They do not state where the vehicles are from, so I did not use their service thus far, but just may have to.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:06 AM

We have rented villas in St John four times, three times using Caribbean Villas. I know that you pay based on the number of people staying/bedrooms being used. I have never been told that we can't use the extra bathroom/bedroom. I think that is one of the things that the villa reps check when they pick you up - how many there are in your party. Our last trip was just my husband and I in a 3 bedroom 4 bath villa and we used the extra bathrooms - as you said, to get ready or if one was more convenient to where my husband or I happened to be in the villa at the time. Are you sure that they didn't just mean they would charge you if you brought someone else along?
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:52 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Under the terms and conditions that we received from Caribbean Villas, this was listed under capacity:

"If more bedrooms are used that what is represented you will be charged the higher rate. For example, one couple should use one bedroom, if two bedrooms are used then we will charge for the use of the second bedroom and bath."

Maybe I am wrong, but to me that is telling us that we should not use the extra bath. However, if you and your husband were able to, that is good news! I will ask to be sure when they meet us upon arrival.

As for the car rental company, they finally received our fax. I did call them right after I sent it to confirm that they received it, otherwise, I don't think they would have confirmed. This would have been my final try before moving on to another one. I think one problem was that I was faxing after business hours. Oh well, I am not getting upset over minor issues.