St Croix Itinerary with teen HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to St Croix with a teenager in August for 5 nights/6 days. We will be staying at the Buccaneer.

My Questions:

Is it possible to do some day trips to The Baths or Jost Von Dyke? I've been looking at taking a ferry but it seems that we would have to take a ferry from St Croix to St Thomas to St John and THEN to where ever we wanted to go. Or is there a more direct route...?

What are some "must do" things on St Croix?
We love snorkeling and are fairly active, but also are looking forward to lying by the beach for a few days.. So far, I'm planning on:

- a full day trip to Buck Island
- Snorkeling at Cane Bay
- kayaking around?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM

My family is going in April. Take a look at Tan Tan tours:

http://www.stxtantantours.com/

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I envy you your stay on STX and at the Buccaneer. We have travelled there many times and know you will have a great time. I would caution you, however, to limit your time to lying on the beach and just hanging out as you can try to jam too much into your trip and miss the relaxation.

With that said, let me offer some thoughts. Forget going to the Baths or Jost Van Dyke. STX is not a quick trip to those spots and they are better left to a trip to the British Virgins exclusively.

Cut your idea of a full day trip to Buck Island to a half day. The full day only adds a picnic on a beach on STX itself (not Buck Island as that's a National Park). You will not get any more time on Buck Island and the half day trip (we like Tesoro out of Green Cay Marina near the Buccaneer)is just right.

I highly recommend Tan Tan Tours. Your teenager will love it. Do the half day tour there (but realize it may go longer as they are on "island time&quot. LuvtheCape has the website right. It was a blast and my kids loved it.

You can go kayaking off the Buccaneers beaches. We haven't tried the one at Salt River but I hear it's good.

Snorkeling at Cane Bay is good if it's not too rough. But realize that all of these excursions will cost you time and money. You have a beautiful spot to snorkel right off Mermaid and Grotto beaches at the Buccaneer.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Thanks ccrosner. You actually answered two of my questions about St. Croix. I think we will do the half day trip to Buck Island and the half day trip on Tan Tan vs. the whole day that I was thinking about. We want to relax and enjoy the beaches and amenities at the resort.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM

You're welcome LovetheCape
Are you in Harwichport???? We just left Brewster on Friday after five great weeks and I'm not happy to be back home
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lovethecape and ccrosner. The tantantours look great and we will do a half day trip on Buck Island.

However, we are determined to see virgin gorda/tortola via a boat ride from St John. Do you recommend staying 1 or 2 nights at the westin on st john before flying home from st thomas?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM

You'll have to ferry or seaplane between STX and STT and then ferry to either Torola or Virgin Gorda from there - but so much depends on the scheduling of arrivals/departures. You do not necessarily have to stop at St. John - depending on the ferry you choose. The seaplane just recently began flying into North Sound on Virgin Gorda so that might work for you (but be aware luggage is limited). Sure is a lot of traveling, figuing you arrival and departure days are not even full days!
It really makes more sense for 6 days to enjoy St. Criox and then plan next year to head to St. Thomas or St. John but if you are so determined why not head to Tortola and/or Virgin Gorda and fly home from there?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Ingrid--
Are you thinking of ADDING 1 or 2 nights in order to get to Virgin Gorda and Tortola or SUBTRACTING from you 5 nights on St. Croix. If it's the former, I say go for it and create a new posting to get more detailed info on where to base for that (although Beachplum's suggestions sound great). If it's the latter, I might suggest foregoing STX altogether. If your #1 goal is to go to VG/Tortola, then why not just go there or to STJ? Not trying to be flip...it's just that STT and STJ are within striking distance of the BVIs and STX is really on its own (40+miles from STT).
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM

ccrosner - Just got back from a 1 week stay in Harwichport. We also spend a couple weeks at the beginning of summer. Great weather - I'm actually staying in today on a beautiful day since I got too much sun. Thanks for all your advice on St. Croix. I probably have read this before but who do you recommend for the trip to Buck Island. A poster on tripadvisor suggested that I take a boat that picks up from the Buccaneer which would be very convenient. Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:52 PM

lovethecape--
You had a GREAT week to be on Cape Cod. Glad you enjoyed it

As for the Buck Island tour, we prefer Teroro out of Green Cay Marina (five minutes from the Buccaneer). The boat that picks up at the Buccaneer is Big Beard which is fine but bigger. And they don't always pick up at the Buccaneer (either too few people or too rough water will keep them away). So the convenience factor isn't a given. But Big Beard is fine, I think. Just prefer Teroro.