Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Barts for the budget traveler. Any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm researching a 5 year anniverssary vacation in October and St. Barts is on our (my) list. I like what I've learned about it so far. However we don't need the plush accommodations. I'd rather stay in a moderate priced hotel and save my money for food and shopping. Any recommendations for us? Anything you would like to share about this island?
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM

I was just browsing LuxuryLink last night and saw a really fantastic deal on a two bedroom villa on St. Barts--one week in the villa plus car rental for a week was around $1400, perhaps even less...
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:03 AM

check out tropical hotel...st jean..nice setting small hotel and reasonably priced for St. Barts...be warned that October is hurricane season and you will have a fair amount of rain and very high humidity. Good Luck.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 06:33 AM

There actually are quite a few good "budget" choices on SBH...Check out Hotel the Village St. Jean, Saline Garden Cottages, La Muette, and the newly renovated Normandie. Francois Plantation has a reasonable package that includes a car. Just check on closing dates in October.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

ejcrowe- I'll check that out. What's the scoop with luxurylink?

turaj- I am aware of that weather situation. We married in Bermuda and tropical storm Kyle was looming all around us. I saw on their website that they average 300 days of sunshine a year. So it can't rain everyday in October right? Rain is fine with me as long as it's warm! Is the humidity a definite or hit and miss?

I did look at that hotel too. It looks like an option for sure.

elisemf- I have looked a some of those. Any personal references / experiences you can pass along?

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM

We've been to St. Barts a few times and have had great luck in renting villas. It usually averages out to between $200-250/night and is far more comfortable and private than staying in a hotel.

A couple of times, due to scheduling issues, we've had to stay in a hotel for one night on either end of our trip, and Village St. Jean has worked out well, though it's nowhere near as nice as a private villa. Everyone has a favorite area of the island, and ours is near Anse des Cayes and Anse des Lezard -- quiet, but beautiful views, close to the main road in to Gustavia, and there's a great bakery/gourmet shop nearby for at-home meals.

We always choose to rent directly from owners (eliminating the adminstrative fees) and it never hurts to ask for a discount, or offer to forego housekeeping for a reduced rate. There are numerous websites for villa listings, or you can check vrbo.com. As October is at the end of hurricane season and typically slow on St. Barts, you may have even more luck in finding a great deal. One more tip: many large villas offer substantially lower rates to a couple using only 1 bedroom, so don't be put off by the size of the villa.

Good luck!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Love St. Bart's, even though it is pricy. Staying up in St. Jean Village would be less, and since it will be Oct. you should find good deals.

We like to rent a Smart Car--lots of fun to drive.

Food is expensive, but there is always "Le Select"(cheeseburgers in paradise) and you may run into Jimmy Buffet!

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM
jrpinto

We always stay at Le P'tit Morne. It is one of the least expensive hotels on the island. I would still want to stay there even if I had unlimited money. Every room has a view and it is the best view on the island. The rooms are like little apartments, equiped with a porch (sometimes front and back) and a kitchen. It is a bit no-frills however - there's no real lobby and it is a bit secluded.

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

jrpinto- I'll check it out. Thank you for the input.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I just checked out Le P'tit Morne website, and it looks fantastic. The off season car rates are great, also.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I have checked the website for Le P'tit Morne. Yes it looks great and the price is right. I've seen several good choices so far. The accommodations looks like it will be easy to plan. Now I just have to get there. Thanks all!