Search

Spending money for Eleuthera?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spending money for Eleuthera?

Hi everyone,

My Fiance and I are heading to North Palmetto Point, Eleuthera at the begining of December (woohoo!!) can I please ask how much approx. do you think we'll need for spending money on the island as a rough guide? We'll probably eat in as much as eat out and will go to Harbour Island one day. We've already included the price of jeep hire in the overall cost of our hol but how much should we expect to pay for fuel for a week? We'll probabaly take over some basic essentials for cooking but won't take meat.

We're going to NYC for a week first so we're obviously keen to spend as much as we can there on shopping / gifts/ treats so it would be good to know in advance

Thanks v much,

Carole
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM

My husband and I went to Eleauthera for a week and spent about $1200 on meals at the Cove (and we do not eat lunch). We took the ferry to Harbor Island for a day trip (which is so inexpensive) and eating on Harbor Island is not as expensive. Food is fabulous on both islands and both islands are absolutely gorgeous and charming. The people are lovely - you will have a wonderful time!
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much PDCornwell... I was thinking of approx $600 each so that sounds about right

Starting to get VERY excited now wooohoo!!

x x x
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM

I would think that Tippy's is the only restaurant near Palmetto Point which would be as expensive as The Cove. Mate and Jenny's is nearby and is reasonable, the Sunset Inn is in Governor's Harbor as well as there are a couple of lunch spots there which are both good and reasonably priced. I don't know if you drink, but beer on the island is very expensive, wine is somewhat expensive, and the hard stuff is ridiculously cheap. In Governor's Harbor you will find two reasonably well stocked groceries, several liquor stores, and an ATM. A couple of years ago there was also a nice wine shop. Plus don't miss the Friday night fish fry. You can also buy phone cards at the phone company office there.

I would think that $1200 would be more than adequate in the area you will be staying.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM

carole- have a great trip! I recommend buying some of the great homemade breads at Island Farm along with some of their homemade guava jelly and some fruit and having a wonderful breakfast at home- I love breakfast and we did have a good one at the Buccaneer Club one day and a so-so one at Unique Village, ate at home the other days. We like to have lunch out while exploring/adventuring and then cook in some nights and enjoy the view and the sound of the waves. I don't remember the exact amount we spent on food but think it was less than $1200 but we did cash travellers checks at the bank at GH one day and then used another one for lunch at Sammy's- used cash otherwise except the Bacardi store on Cupid's Cay in GH took a credit card so I bought some wine there- nice people and decent selection for the islands. We ventured to HI one day, rented a cart and had lunch and went as far south as Lighthouse another day so we saw a good bit of the island and did not spend much at all on gas and we were on the go every day. We are not very high maintenance and enjoyed Captain Jack's, Mate and Jenny's, Sunset Inn, even Double D burgers- and the fish fry (don't miss)as well as fun beach picnics with things from the Banks Road deli. There are new options since we were there a year ago (we were sorry Cocodimama was closed when we were there and there seems to be a new place near Tippys that was not there then) but it all depends on how you like to travel and what you expect in the way of cuisine- having travelled a good bit in the out islands over the years we know that we don't go there for the food so we are never disappointed- give me some conch fritters and a cold Kalik and I am happy! Have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic thanks v much Jhshiver & Ishkribbl - exactly the kind of info. I need

Whilst it will be nice to have a couple of dinners at the more expensive fancier restaurants in the area, we're not fussy and will be quite happy to go more casual or make our own dinners most nights. I can see us having a big lunch out then having a lighter meal at 'home' (I wish!!) in the evening. Drink wise well... I'll drink anything so if the hard stuff saves us lots of pennies then that's fine by me ;-) my fiance drinks beer tho so that will balance itself out.

I'm sure this is a very silly question but can anyone tell me how long banks road actually is? Everything including our rental seems to be on it but I presume it's not walking distance? How far away is Governor's Harbour from North Palmetto Point?

Thanks again!

Carole

x x x
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM

I am not sure where you are staying but I think you need a car regardless. If you like rum drinks, buy some fruit juices and limes and make yourself some great Bahama Mama type concoctions. I like beer and like Kalik, the local beer, which is a better price than some of the other- get him to try it at a restaurant or bar.
I really can't remember- others can tell you exactly- but I think NPP is like maybe 7 miles from GH- not sure. I think the Banks road is quite long but some of it is in fine shape and some of it is certainly not - we stayed in NPP on a very rutted, bumpy, unpaved section but it was worth it to be in such a beautiful place. Up near Tippy's and some of the houses in that area the road was very good. The main road down the middle of Eleu is the Queen's Highway- Banks Eoad runs along the Atlantic coast- kind of parallel to but, of course, not exactly parallel to the highway (a 2 lane paved road).
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM

We are leaving on Feb. 21 for two weeks. One week in North Palmetto Point on the Atlantic and one week on the Caribbean side (Little Bay) Since we have never been to the Bahamas before, we wanted to try both coastlines.
No one seems to mention credit cards. Are they widely accepted on Eleuthera? I don't like carrying a lot of cash. Also, how necessary is it to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle? They are considerably more expensive than a regular passenger car. Any advice??? Thanks