Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Something on nice combed beach, walk to nightlife

Feb 1st, 2017, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm traveling with myself, husband 2 sons age 23 and 21, and 2 daughters aged 14 & 11. I would like to rent something on the beach, that I could literally walk outside to a nice swimmable beach, no rocks. And I would also like for my boys to be able to safely walk into town for nightlife and restaurants. We usually do the all inclusive, but wanted something safe, somewhat off the beaten path, but accessible to nightlife and activates. I looked at U.S. virgin islands, but everything seems to be mountainside, which is not ideal and I am unsure how nice the beaches are below. Does anything come to mind to anyone.
Thanks!
Feb 1st, 2017, 09:09 AM

The first thing we need to know is what type of a budget you have for airfare, accommodations, food & activities. Give specific dollar amounts, not some nebulous term like "affordable" or "won't break the bank' as we have no idea what they mean without a dollar point of reference.

Next, when will you be traveling and where will you be traveling from as that will have a big bearing on the cost for airfare and accommodations.

How long are you willing to travel to reach your destination? Are you willing to take one or more connecting flights from your nearest International Gateway Airport and or an additional ferry to reach your destination.

Are you looking to rent a condo or a stand alone villa/house? confirm how many bedrooms you need.

Now, "off the beaten path" and "walking distance to town" are often mutually exclusive. The closer you are to "things" and activities the less you'll be off the beaten path so what's more important - seclusion or access to activities?

What type of activities interest you and your children? All you've told us is that you want to be on or near a swimmable beach with no rocks a little nightlife and restaurants - all of which are fairly plentiful throughout the Caribbean. How active a nightlife are you seeking? Keep in mind that some "nightlife in the Caribbean can get pretty loud and go on into the wee hours of the morning. Are you sure you want to rent a place that is within walking distance of such places?
Feb 1st, 2017, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

About $500 per person for airfare. I'm fine with any length of travel for the price. I am traveling from Philadelphia, PA. I want to travel anytime between June 17th-August 27th, for 7-10 days. I need 3 bedrooms, doesn't matter villa or house. More important to access to activities rather than seclusion. The most important is the nice beach, would like to walk out door onto beach. Also most important is safe for my sons age 21 & 23 to roam around the town and not get "locked up abroad", lol. Kids like to snorkel. Don't want to be right next to loud nightlife.
Thanks
Feb 1st, 2017, 11:18 AM

>>About $500 per person for airfare<<

Okay . . . but what is your budget for this 3 bdrm place smack dab on a beach?
Feb 1st, 2017, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to spend about $2000 for the rental, give or take.
Feb 1st, 2017, 12:33 PM

Even in July or August (Low Season) $2,000 for a 3BR rental on a nice beach for a week is a tall order and almost impossible for a 10 day stay. You'll probably not find a stand alone home in that price range so you are going to be limited to condos (and probably older ones, at that).

$500/person airfare is doable if you confine your search to the larger islands like the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. St. Thomas is a possibility because there are lots of flights into that island. You should look at possible rentals in Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
Feb 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I kind of wanted to stay away from Mexico, because I want my sons to be able to roam around by themselves. What if I stayed in a condo? Does anything fit my description?
Feb 2nd, 2017, 02:58 AM

Take a look at the Abacos (in the Bahamas -- fly to Marsh Harbour (MHH) and ferry over to your cay). During low season, you might be able to rent a cottage on Elbow Cay, Great Guana Cay or Green Turtle Cay for your budget that will be on or close to the beach, and walkable to a small village (Hopetown on Elbow Cay; New Plymouth on Green Turtle). The Abacos are extremely safe (some places don't even have keys, transport is via golf cart), and the beaches are lovely.

Also, take a look at Eleuthera and rentals near Governor's Harbour or Rock Sound.

Other Out Islands will offer similar lodgings and prices, but there aren't many that offer a walkable village close to the beach like the Abaco cays do.

Be warned, though, that if you are accustomed to all-inclusives, you'll find the Out Islands to be the polar opposite. Your kids will need to be able to entertain themselves with water sports and exploration. The islands are sleepy, especially in the summer. Though much improved over the 25+ years I've been traveling there, services like grocery stores are still pretty basic.
Feb 2nd, 2017, 11:11 AM

I second Callaloo's suggestions above. I think Elbow Cay would be a great choice. Very safe, walkable to restaurants. From Elbow Cay you can get on the ferry and explore other nearby cays.

Also consider Treasure Cay also in the Abacos. Same concept - rent a golf cart to go around and the beach is one of the best we have ever seen. You should be able to get a condo right on the beach. Alternatively, there are rental homes on the Caribbean side which also come with a private strand of beach and you can golf cart over to the main beach in minutes. Again very safe

I would recommend Harbour Island over Eleuthera based on your description above. Its similar to Elbow Cay but more upscale. I'm not sure you can rent a place on the beach but worth looking into since your timeframe would qualify as 'low season'.

Of the three I think Elbow Cay specifically Hopetown would be the best choice since it gives you the option to explore other cays, explore a lighthouse, the little village and has cafe's and restaurants all in walking distance.
Feb 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM

There are many safe resort destinations in Mexico.

Why would you let them "roam around" in the Caribbean but not in Mexico?
Feb 6th, 2017, 07:25 AM

Agree that Mexico has many safe places to go out at night. What we like is places where we can be right on beach and walk to town. Summer months are very hot, but more affordable. Make sure you find an air conditioned spot. VRBO is our go to.
Suggestions: Sayulita, Punta de Mita (select places, mostly condos), San Pancho (aka San Francisco) all easily reached from Puerto Vallarta.
Zihuatanejo is still an authentic small town offering nice beaches and stays within walking distance to night life. Ixtapa is pretty commercial, but interesting for an overnight.
Of course, Cabo has tons of options, easy to rent cars. Tons of rentals between old town San Jose and Cabo or north all the way up to La Paz. Club Cascadas is walking distance to Cabo nightlife and offers great villas for families, pools, great family atmosphere.
Easy for east coast travellers to reach, outside of Cancun, Cozemel Island is also safe, fun for nigthlife and offers a nice beaches and activities, albeit, getting more crowded than we like. Isla Mujeres has the best snorkelling spot and you can take a ferry there for a day trip easily. Akumal is near Tulum which is a must see if your in the area.
Barra de Navidad, stay at Grand Bay Hotel, skip all inclusive and take free 2 min. water taxi into town for real Mexican flavor!
Not a travel agent here, or paid reviewer. Just a couple in their late 60's whose first Mexico experience was my parents casa in Cabo when we drove down to this sleepy village from Ca. while I was in high school. Since those family days we have travelled all over Mexico safely and are planning a trip right now