Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions for Spending Christmas Someplace Warm

Feb 5th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I recently relocated from the East Coast U.S. to Portland, Oregon. Our family is still back on the East Coast and we spent holidays with them when we lived close by. My wife and I started a new tradition last year, now that we are on our own, that we spend Christmas in a new place each year. Last year, we spent Christmas in the mountains on Washington, so we would we like to go someplace warm for 2017.

I did some research on flights, and I have narrowed it down to the following potential destinations (Hawaii, Cancun, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, The Bahamas, Riviera Maya Mexico, St. Martin. British Virgin Islands).

We would like to go somewhere with a beach and we also like to hike around to see the area. I am not against an all-inclusive resort but, If possible, I would also like to avoid being trapped inside a resort the entire time. We like places that are safe to get out around the local culture and see the area on our own.

We are trying to find a place that does hike up prices ridiculously during the Christmas season. Also, I know that a lot of places shutdown on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We would like to be able to still find nice places to eat.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
Feb 5th, 2017, 12:09 PM

First, I assume you have a typo in your second to last paragraph and really meant you are "...trying to find a place that DOES NOT hike up prices..".

With that correction you should know that in all of the places you mentioned Christmas week is the peak of High Season" and that translates to the most expensive week of the entire year. So be prepared for sticker shock. That said, prices are relative and Cancun, Riviera Maya and Costa Rica are more budget friendly than Hawaii, the Caymans, the BVI's and St. Martin which are among the more expensive islands. Even though it is High Season you still find a big range in room rates so you need to let us know how much you are willing to spend for your accommodations.

It is difficult to give you specific recommendations without knowing your budget for accommodations and airfare. Suffice to say from Oregon you'll probably find it less expensive to fly to Hawai, the Mexican destinations and Costa Ria than the other islands you mentioned.

All of the destinations you listed, except the Bahamas, will be "warm" - the Bahamas are fairly far north and could be a bit cool in December.

The Caymans are flat island so hiking is not a strong point. By contrast you'll find better hiking in Hawaii, Costa Rica and the BVI's.

All of this places are very tourist oriented so I wouldn't worry about finding a place to eat on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There will always be some restaurants open to serve the tourist trade.

Based on you desires I choose the BVI's or Hawaii but without knowing your budget there's no sense making any specific resort recommendations. FWIW - Neither of those two destinations are noted for having an abundance of All Inclusives so you'll have no trouble avoiding them.

Hope this helps.
Feb 6th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Sorry but everywhere does that.

I am in Seattle. I go to either Puerto Vallata Mexico or Hawaii for what you request.