Solo Trip to the Beach. Should I?

Sep 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Solo Trip to the Beach. Should I?

Im going on vacation to puerto rico by myself and im not sure of what I should do as far as activities and night life. I have family out there but Im staying at a tourist boutique hotel in isla verde. I originally had plans to go with someone but that changed and Im not willing to cancel flights and bookings for the change. So I'm doing a solo mission. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do when Im there. I want to have a good time but Im not sure if I can do that alone. I will visit family then Ill try to get into something fun. Plus ill be the bday girl so..I have to make this a special trip. All suggestions welcomed
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM

I can't make suggestions for your destination as I haven't been. However, I wanted to say that I went to the Caribbean alone,and had an absolute blast. I never felt alone and met so many locals and fellow travelers. In addition to dinner every night, I went to the spa and out on a snorkeling trip. Have fun!
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM

You can walk around Old San Juan and shop and see El Morro. You can also rent a car and go to the rain forest and Loquillo beach. Also, you can book a snorkel trip or bioulumescent (can't spell) trip out of Fajaro.
Many of the hotels will offer tour groups to go to the rain forest and the snorkel or bioulumescent tours. We stayed at the Caribe Hilton and they had all that stuff. I am sure a large hotel in Isle Verde would offer this (maybe the El San Juan hotel. I think this is in Isle Verde.)That is if you want to travel with a group to these places.
Have fun. There is lots to do there. We went spring 07 and we weren't able to do many of things planned. (Our teen daughter had a spider bite previous to our trip, and her foot swelled while we were there so we hung around the Hilton a lot. )Still we had a good time.
Sep 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM

Just do whatever you had planned to do when your friend was coming along! I've not been to Puerto Rico and have no idea what Isla Verde specifically has to offer... but I often vacation in Mexico solo/female and always have a terrific time. Just use your common sense for personal safety.

I have a leisurely breakfast, take a walk, go to the beach, lounge around the hotel pool, explore the town (if there is one), check out the grocery store, church, whatever shops are interesting. In the afternoon take a siesta or read a good book. Then a nice dinner out. Maybe find a place with some music in the evening (again no idea if this is possible in the area you'll be staying).

There is absolutely no reason you can't have a good time alone.
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM

I have been looking at Oaxoca Mexico but was afraid after reports of females and people in general being kidnapped for money. I am 42 need about a 4 night getaway for sanity and to eat...but most of all practice my broken spanish. Any input is appreciated.
Sep 14th, 2008, 11:42 AM

I love Isla Verde. Go to Waterclub to the top deck, bring a book, bask in the views and drink. Head to Pamela's at Numero Uno Guest House for lunch in the sand or go to the Museum of Art and eat at Pikayo. At night head to Old San Juan and dine at Dragonfly or Parrot Club and drink at Carli's.
Sep 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM

I would absolutely keep my plans! I've only been to Old San Juan a couple of times and to Numero Uno for lunch once, but I can certainly recommend both. Spend the day in Old San Juan, touring the two forts, walking the streets, admiring the architecture, dipping into an art gallery or museum as the mood takes you. Consider lunch at Cafe Nispero, the courtyard restaurnt in the beautiful El Convento hotel. Linger for dinner somewhere on Fortaleza, catch a cab back to wherever you're staying.

Once I can get past my initial self-consciousness of dining alone, I really enjoy all of my solo travels. I used to travel for business solo, but last year I did my first solo vacation by choice and I really did love it. It's oddly liberating, once you get past any self-consciousness and enjoy the adventure for what it is.
Sep 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your sugguestions. I guess I felt a little ackward about being alone. I have family out there so it wont be that bad. And Im a very social gal so im sure ill meet alot locals and tourist. Ill be staying at the waterclub so im kinda excited about that alone because I heard it was a social hotel. What could be better since im being alone. I read quite a few reviews on the waterclub and I got mixed signals on that . Does anyone have any advise or previous experience about this hotel(water club).
Sep 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Sorry no specific experience with that island or that resort. I was only able to encourage you because I often travel solo female to beach destinations and always have a fantastic time.
Sep 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Here's your other post of the same topic.