Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

nervous-5couples westin rio mar- enough to do and see

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 02:01 PM
barbara

getting nervous. suggested and booked 5 couple friends into the westin rio mar. it was suggested to me by my travel agent. so many diverse ideas of a great vacation. most concerned about restaurants and things to do for girls who do not like to sit on beach or by the pool. their husbands are golfers and 2 golf courses are fine for them. two girls not spa people or sun worshipers, not golfers but coming for husbands. any suggestions for these people. please do not suggest staying home. looking for constructive help. feel responsinle. my problem. thank you.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 11:05 PM
anon

stop panicking! As you said, everyone has different ideas about holidays. Unless you booked the whole thing without asking the other couples first it is up to them to find things they like to do.
"feel responsible. my problem." Are you sure these people are your friends and you are going on vacation? I would suggest that if they are really your friends they will be horrified that you are so worried for them.
Easy to say, I know but stop worrying and start to look forward. There are 5 couples going, I'm sure that alone will make for plenty to do!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Free advice

barbara,
I think you booked the right place. PR is one of the few islands where there is much more to do than sit around on the beach all day. Rent a car and visit the rainforest, the caverns, the lighthouses, the museums, restaurants, shops and forts in Old San Juan. Buy a guidebook and/or ask the concierge for ideas. Get your other friends involved in the planning.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:05 AM
criollo

Barbara,

The closest neat thing is El Yunque rain forest, just across the street from the Westin. It could be a whole day, or just a morning/afternoon, depending on whether the ladies want to hike a bit (not difficult stuff and some waterfalls require a bit of a hike to get to see them).
Another definite is a day trip to Old San Juan. Poke around, shop, stop at art galleries, have a luxurious lunch, and maybe even take a harbor cruise.
On another day, it'll take a little longer drive (it's west of San Juan), you can see the Camuy caves and the radio telescope at Areciebo. You might think that sounds a little geeky, but when you come up over the last ridge and see that enormous reflector hung among the hilltops, you'll grab a camera and be glad you came after all.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:07 AM
xxx

I think this is the best choice you could come up with for these girls. They are not the "typical Caribbean Island" vacationing girls. They don't like the beach, sun, or spas. Tough one. If they are going just for husbands, (how noble!) then they are responsible for making the most of there trip. Shopping and exploring PR should keep them busy. It is not as if they are at a resort where the beach is all there is to do. Stop worrying.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:16 AM
sara

I just returned from the Westin Rio Mar last week. The good news is that the food was very good (especially for the Carribean) but if the resort is not full- they will close some of the restaurants so you will not have a good selection of where to eat. (I suggest getting the restaurant schedule when you get there so you can figure out where to eat each night- instead of attempting to try places each night that end up being closed). The staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful and the property is really beautiful. The beach has dark brown sand - but it is very soft sand and the beach is really long and pretty, fringed by palm trees. There are real waves at the beach- not huge- but you have to pay attention to them. If your "women" (I am one- no offense meant) really want to do stuff during the day- the hotel has a nice day trip to Old San Juan and the rainforest is right next to the resort. (Remember- a cab to San Juan is $65 each way- I guess not too bad if you can split). Otherwise- this is a laid back resort. I have to admit - there was no nightlife whatsoever! That was a disappointment. But we did manage to just relax and enjoy ourselves!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:12 PM
barbara

thanks so much for your helpful replies.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:26 PM
anon

Barbara
Keep us posted! Would love to know how it went! Hope you have a great time!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:44 AM
s

If you intend doing significant sightseeing consider renting a car for a few days. It will certainly be cheaper than using a cab or taking a tour.