Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

So overwhelmed... Need help on where to go for a first time visit.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are a million topics about this and I am sorry to post another. Anyway, my husband and I have had a rough year already and we are planning a trip to the Caribbean next year around late April or May. I have been looking at Mexico, Bahamas and Barbados. Mexico is more in my price range, but my husband wants clear, blue, calm water at the beaches we visit, which I am not sure if there are any there. We are wanting to spend under $250 a night on our room, which we are planning on staying 5-7 days. Our total budget would be around $3000-$3500 range. We are not really sure if all inclusive is for us either. We like that airfare is included in the price, but we dont plan on staying in our room a lot so not sure if its worth the extra cost for meals. We would love some seclusion, but not at the expense of being alienated from activities. We want to be able to ride bikes everywhere we go so it is a must that we are close to beaches (obviously), villages/towns, restaurants, etc... Please, let me know if I am being to vague about anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 11:15 AM
KVR

The Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya of Mexico has some good beaches and some not so good beaches. They did do a multi million dollar beach renovation in 2010. One of the best beaches in the area is Maroma Beach. You will find all inclusive resorts like El Dorado Maroma and Secrets Maroma. The Iberostar Grand Pariso is down the way. Akumel Beach resort has a great beach. Many tours go there to the reef out front and to swim with the turtles. It's also an AI.

The further you get away from the Playa del Carmen area, the need for AI resorts as there is not many facilites or dining options. The beach area in Playa had been upgraded, but can get very busy and some areas there are fishing boats tied up to the beach.

The Royal Playa del Carmen, an adult's only AI, is a good option. It sits on a great section of beach and a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue, where there are tons of restaurants, dining, shopping and entertainment.

You might consider Turks and Caicos. The Sibonne, Somerset and the Alexandria will probably be in that price range and sits on a fabulous Grace Bay Beach. We stayed at the Sibonne and loved it. It was small, quite and intimate on a fab section of Grace Bay Beach and within walking distance to some restuarants in the area.

Have Been to Nassau and stayed at Sandals. Not a Island that we liked. Not sure if an Out Island would fit your budget.

We are planning a trip to Barbados in August. Finding the prices to be twice to 3 times more expensive than Mexico and hotels not as lux. Most are condo units for rent. Food and drinks appear quite pricey also. But, we've been to Mexico over the last 10 years and wanted to try something new.

Grand Cayman might be an option also. Lots of condos on 7 Mile Beach. Food/drink pricey there also, but great beach and snorkeling is the best.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM

We have been to the Bahamas and Barbados. The Bahamas didn't have much of anything to offer us. We love Barbados (been there 7 times) and we have gotten far more than we ever imagined with activities and sightseeing. It feels like the island was created just for us. We've always had fun there. Nice romantic restaurants with great food. It does tend to be an expensive place, but the choices are endless for everyone. We love the Hilton, and usually do stay there, but this last time we spent a shorter time on Barabdos as we decided to spend more time in Palm Island. So we stayed at the Marriott. The beds were really hard but it is a newer place so everything still looks nice. Great restaurant for breakfast. It's not beachfront, but you can easily walk there and they do have a pool. Friends stayed at the Accra and raved about it.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 03:48 AM

runawayhill.com
briland.com
valentinesdive.com

Perfect pink sand beach cute safe town ride bikes etc.

Cheap flights and closer to the US

bookit.com for AIs more touristy almondresorts.com Morgan
many others but more like cruise shipson land not really
a cute little "village" vibe.

www.victoria-house.com also nice vibe little harder to get to.

Happy Planning!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the Akumal Beach resort. It is on a great beach with beautiful water. It is an all inclusive, but is not fancy at all. It is pretty basic, but is fine and should fit your budget easily.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM

I would be very, very, very wary of Mexico.

I don't know where you are located but there is a Sandals resort in Exuma the Bahamas that is spectacular. Was a former Four Seasons, it's the resort you see on all of their commercials. The Exumas are beyond beautiful and well worth a visit, I prefer them to Hawaii.

Although a lot different, the Atlantis on Paradise island is really a lot of fun. I would stay in the least expensive room in the Beach Tower and enjoy the same pools and beaches as the Royal and spend your money at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill or Nobu. Fun and inexpensive restaurants like the Poop Deck and Green Parrot are a $10 cab ride, so is the very elegant and reasonable Lucianno's right over the bridge. The Bahamas are close and offer a lot, the water alone is amazing. Just do a little homework. We have a home here and I love it. Really worth exploring outside the tourist traps. Best of luck!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
May I ask why you would be "very, very, very wary of Mexico"?
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is NO reason to be wary of the Yucatan in Mexico. It is the border towns (mostly on the west coast) that have the issues.
The Playa del Carmen area is safe.
Atlantis does not fall into the budget the OP stated and certainly doesn't fit their request for seclusion or a village feel.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
KVR

To be snarkey, I'm really tired of the uncalled for comments about Mexico from people who have no clue. Either back up your comments or don't say anything at all. It's not accurate information and not helpful to anyone.

The reccomendation for Atlantis and Sandals are out of the OP's specified budget and criteria. I have been to the Bahamas, Atlantis and 2 Sandals and would not reccommend over Mexico based on what the OP stated they are looking for.

I tend to be very wary of posters who have only been a member of this forum for a few days, posting inaccurate information and pushing specific destinations/resorts.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM

hey everyone - this was my OPINION, and you have your opinions. I think I was fair about the expense of The Bahamas. I have a vacation home here and love it. That's all.

Atlantis is not out of budget by the way, not at all. I had a wedding here last year and all the visitors from the east coast found something in their price range which fell into the stated budget above.

As for Mexico, I think there are dangers to consider as there are everywhere. I didn't damn the place.

What a touchy group, there is a nicer way to express yourself especially as I was just trying to participate. I was just putting in MY two cents and perhaps add to the conversation, sorry it didn't agree with your opinions.

I was excited to share an idea about the Exuma's and a possible back up plan. Now, not so much. What a disappointment.