Reload this Page >

Snorkeling in September

Search

Snorkeling in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Sandra

Snorkeling in September

After two years without a vacation I can finally take a week off around this Labor Day. My husband and I will finally be able to take the Caribbean honeymoon we have dreamed of and it's hurricane season! Our #1 priority is to be on a white sand beach with snorkeling available right off the beach or on the resort's own private island. My husband has a fear of boats and gets boat sick so he would not ride on a little boat out into the water and jump off to go snorkeling. I'm actually amazed I've gotten him very interested in trying snorkeling so now I have to find a place where we won't have to ride out on a boat! <BR> <BR>After reading many posts on this web site, it sounds like Aruba or Bonaire would be good because they are out of the Hurricane Belt. But then I have read many messages about reef damage in Bonaire. Two out of the two travel agents I consulted today said that Aruba is way more of a windsurfing island than a snorkeling island. One said Aruba is a very hot place ("the good thing is the wind but it's enough to blow your head off"). <BR> <BR>I would appreciate any recommendations on a good place for snorkeling, resorts that have good hurricane insurance, and/or details about buying your own hurricane/trip insurance. <BR> <BR>Thank you. ~ Sandra

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:17 PM
pamr

Sandra, there is still amazing snorkeling in Bonaire - lots of sites that are shore accessible. We went in June & thoroughly enjoyed it - we saw some wonderful things. Two warnings - it is very HOT in September (winds die down to nothing). Bonaire is not known for great beaches - it has a couple, so if you want miles of beach this is not the place for you.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Louis

My best suggestion is to go south to someplace like the Maya coast of Mexico around Akumal. Stay away from Cancun. There are other things around Akumal of major cultural interest and your risk of weather problems are not as bad as the north during September. I do not recommend Bonaire for easy shore snorkeling from a sandy beach and I don't think Aruba offers anything much. Most of the better places in the Caribbean close in September and October and some include August. Around Akumal he will find easy from shore snorkeling. Also you can find a whole new world in Pre-Colomian history including the culture of the Mayan Indians. The only problem is that it it might be warmer and more humid than you both would like. Most likely Caneel Bay is the best bet for him and you if they are open in September. Without bad weather you both would like it very much from what you have said. If he has not snorkeled much before he does not need much for it to be very exciting and the area around Caneel is very easy.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 04:01 AM
pamr

Access from the shore for snorkeling in Bonaire is extremely easy! Even small children can handle it. It does not, however, have lots of great beaches. Bonaire is also an excellent choice for reasonable villa accommodations, good roads & peace & quiet.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:57 AM
Sandra

Thank you for all of your input! I really appreciate it as I really need to make arrangements quickly. We're a month out at this point. <BR> <BR>Have you ever tried snorkeling in the Florida Keys? Over the weekend someone suggested that we consider the Keys as well. I would love to hear your opinions on the Keys, especially any recommendations on accomodations and whether the beaches and/or snorkeling are better in Key West vs. Key Largo or Marathon. <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for all the great information! ~ Sandra

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 06:50 AM
Robin

I'm a huge snorkeling fan. Aruba is one of my favorite islands and there is very good snorkeling at DePalm island (I could hear the parrot fish chopping on the coral and they were swarming all around me). The water on Palm Beach is pretty, but not crystal clear and not good for snorkeling. <BR> <BR>Akumal is amazing for snorkeling. You can also take little day trips to Xelha and Xcaret which offer very very nice snorkeling. We stayed at the Club Oasis Akumal, the reef right off our resort was great. <BR> <BR>The Bahamas is also a wonderful place that has crystal clear waters and you can snorkel with Stuart Coves and see the James Bond sites used to film several movies. The Blue Lagoon is a great day trip and you can snorkel in the crystal clear waters. Amazing! You can also swim with Dolphins if you are interested. <BR> <BR> <BR>We are traveling to St.Martin in two weeks and we are planning to go see the much talked about island Anguilla. The beaches are suppose to spectacular and snorkeling is right off the beach too. <BR> <BR>If you have any questions, please email. <BR> <BR>Robin

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 12:47 PM
pamr

Anything really worthwhile in the Keys will require a boat. There is some good snorkelling in the Keys, but shore access is pretty limited. Also, beaches tend to be small ( Bahia Honda is lovely). Although I have never been, I hear Antigua has gorgeous beaches & good off-shore snorkeling. I would advise you get the book - Best Dives of the Caribbean as it lists good snorkeling spots as well.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 07:04 PM
Dan

I've been to many islands and the best snorkling along with the blue-ist water and white-ist sand is The Turks & Caicos Islands. The calm water with minimal waves and clarity make this a top choice.