snorkeling in Punta Cana

Search

snorkeling in Punta Cana

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkeling in Punta Cana

I"m getting a little worried. We go to Punta Cana this Thurs., Feb. 8 and I"m not finding much info about snorkeling off the beach or by the reef. Is it too rough, or what?
Separate question: we're staying at the Grand Palladium. Is there a bus that goes to all the resorts, or is it better to take a taxi? About how much would it cost?
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM

<b>Here's a link to the tripadvisor Forum on Punta Cana...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum..._Republic.html

</b>
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM

I don't consider the snorkeling opportunities in Punta Cana to be stellar. But you can take a boat excursion to get closer to more interesting fish. I can't speak about the area around Grand Palladium specifically, though. Transportation between the resorts isn't really encouraged because you're not actually allowed on resort property unless you have one of hte little bracelets, and few resorts in Punta Cana offer day passes. You'll definitely have to ask about that. Most people actually walk the beach. But you can probably arrange for a water taxi or a regular taxi, which will be expensive ... probably at least $20 each way. But the truth is that you would probably have to go pretty far to find calmer waters because most of the resorts on the Atlantic side get pretty good wave action.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM

most of the resorts offer day trip excursions - we did a half day one that involved driving our own 2 person boat out to a man-made docking point for snorkeling. Several excursion groups were there. It was decent, though not the best I've ever done. You can check at the excursion desk at the hotel as to what other options are available.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM

There is transportation within the Grand Palladium Complex to go to the other resorts within the Complex. I hope that is what you are asking about. If you are asking about going to the other hotels not within the Complex, the best thing to do is to walk the beach and then walk up to the hotel. Most of the hotels in Punta Cana are All-Inclusive hotels so you won't be able to buy a drink or meal at any of them. We have been there four times and don't even bring our snorkeling gear anymore.