Snorkeling and Good Food and no TV's and friendly people

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For years I have been trying to figure out where to go in the Caribbean, and we always end up back in Tulum in Mexico because the Caribbean confuses me so!!
My husband and I and our 13 year old son are looking to travel this March for a quick warm getaway. We are not the all inclusive type, more the rustic luxury (and it does not have to be all that luxurious). The tone of the place is important, as is the food. We keep going back to Tulum in the Yucatan because the Mayan people are very warm and the food is great and inexpensive (relatively) and the beach is pretty and the ruins are great. But we have been there dozens of times -- I want to try something new! Any recommendations?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Have you considered Costa Rica? From what you say, it seems to me that a number of places there would fit the bill.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Have you considered the out islands of the Bahamas, we are in the process of planning a trip there,beautiful usnpoiled beaches, a few small hotels, and really friendly people, sounds good to me. Harbour Island is the specific area we are choosing, good luck!!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Francine,
Thank you for your response. We have actually traveled to Harbour Island and Andros Island, and I was recently looking at Tiamo Resort on Andros. Harbour Island was very pretty -- the beach was lovely, but the food was a negative (but that is because we are always searching for local places, and there just were not any good ones). Andros Island was one of my favorite vacations. We went to Small Hope Bay Lodge, when my son was only 5 (which seems like a lifetime ago, but it was only about 7 years.).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I know what you mean, I have to say I love the Caribbean but overall I have found the Mexican people to be friendlier and Mexico itself a more reasonably priced destination. The Caribbean can be difficult to plan because each island is unique. We stayed at a great little place just north of Playa Del Carmen called Shangri La Caribe and it's on my best value vacation list but that won't work since you want to go someplace new . . . There are two places that I can think of that might fit the bill for you, although they will both be more expensive than Tulum -- 1) St. John -- food is good, snorkeling is good and if you stay at one of the "camps" like Maho Bay or Cinnamon Bay you might like that. I don't know how much they fit the luxury category though but they are rustic. Another island I would like to suggest is Curacao. I find a lot of strong opinions on this island -- people seem to either love it or hate it -- what did we like compared to other places we've been? -- lots of great beaches with personality (sort of like St. John in that they are cove beaches rather than one long strip of beach such as in Aruba, Grand Cayman or Tukrs & Caicos.) A very interesting European/Caribbean culture with a great town that looks like little Amsterdam and has lots of wonderful restaurants. You drive on the right so it's easy to rent a car and explore the island. Less expensive than some Caribbean destinations, generally we have found the Dutch islands like Curacao and Aruba to be more reasonably priced than the British islands such as Barbados, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, Bermuda -- all of these are very expensive in my opinion. We stayed at the Marriott (another best value on my list) but you might want to check out some of the more unique places such as Avila Beach Hotel and Kura Hulanda Beach Lodge (more expensive). We found the people to be friendly too.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Eileen,
Thank you for your suggestions. Curacao sounds interesting -- I am going to check out those places you mentioned. It is funny you mention Shangri La -- my husband and I used to go there pre-kids, and it was so great. Glad it is still great! Have you been down to Tulum at all?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM

I haven't been, but Caneel Bay Resort in St. John may offer what you are seeking. It is supposed to have great snorkeling, an isolated feel (no TVs), the luxury/rustic style, and a good kid's program. It's not cheap and seems to get some mixed reviews (especially regarding service, food, and rooms), but it may be worth considering.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Funny- I probably could have written this post.
My fav is Tulum but I am headed to caribbean after a long time away from the islands.
I know mostly Negril and St Maarten but I am headed on a Windjammer cruise in a few days. I am staying in St Thomas and St Maarten and amazed at how expensive the options are compared to Mexico.
I am headed to Tortola, Anguilla, Jost Von Dyke and Norman's Island. I will let you know what I find there as I'm always on the look out for a favorite place to stay.

I end up back in Tulum as well - Azulik, Cabanas Copal, and Jade (and Hechizo for dining) are some favs of mine.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Crosbie,
I enjoyed reading your post and I would love to hear your impressions of those spots in the caribbean. I was thinking of Anguilla too. And maybe the sailing thing as well (when in Rome ...) Our favorites in Tulum have been Cabanas La Conchita (before the two places next door popped up and the beach got rocky) and Las Ranitas. Isn't the food wonderful down there? And nothing beats a margarita sitting at Zamas ... Hmm. I may just go back. But somehow, can you let me know about your trip? Is there a way to communicate via e-mail, (because I may not remember to check this board)?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Belize, Anegada in the BVI (but not much luxury there), or one of several islands in the Caribbean (throw a dart and you can't miss a great island to fit your needs).
For a quick summary of the various islands, goto http://www.doitcaribbean.com/
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM

Hi there. Check out my trip report on exuma.
search exuma trip report
a quiet place with deserted beaches, and fun exploring.
Curt